Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Light/Hazard Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 10:12 PM
Parawhore
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light/Hazard Problem

I've been MIA for the better part of 8 months because it was winter and this is Canada and my garage isn't heated so I completely forgot I had a 944. Then I bought a truck and things just kinda snowballed from there.

Anyways, I'm back.

Shockingly, my 944 is running 93% problem free. My dad's 924 however...

I was driving behind him yesterday and noticed he had no functioning brake lights. God only knows how long this has been going on for. So I checked the fuse (#8) and the bulbs, all good. Then I decided to do what I did to my 944 when all my lights decided to cross up. Took the housings apart, cleaned all the globes and replaced the contacts. Still nothing. Cleaned all the grounds in the back (The ones on the license plate lights), nothing. This is when I also noticed the hazards don't work. When you flip the switch, the signal indicator on the dash stays solid green (His signal lights work) and nothing outside the car comes on. There's also no reverse lights. Could these three be connected?

The car is an '82 924.

EDIT: When the car isn't running (Key ON), and you signal left, the fuel pump pulsates. I don't even know how this is a thing.

Last edited by Parawhore; 06-22-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Northern_aqs
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I want to say that it's related to the flasher relay; I assume you don't hear a clicking when the hazard switch is turned on? My 944s (and myself) live in Barrie, if you're ever looking for comparative trouble shooting.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:43 PM
Parawhore
Rennlist Member

There's no clicking at all when it's on. Just a solid green indicator.

It's also worth noting, ever since he bought the car about 8 years ago, the signal lights have blinked at 200mph. Like when you have a burnt out bulb on a GM and it's trying to tell you "CHANGE ME".

Nice to know there's some other 944 owners around here!
Old 06-23-2014, 12:17 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

IIRC, there's also a ground point, 4-5 wires, behind the carpet, below the driver side hatch lock assembly. Did you check/clean that one?
Old 06-23-2014, 01:56 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes, the ground is under the carpet and slightly to the right near the spare tire. Can't miss it.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:12 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

check that the hazard switch is OK, then I guess you have to use brute force - download the service manual, go to the schematic and start following back from the bulbs and see where the power disappears. I'd probably start by checking the brake light switch itself, but it sounds like maybe the harness is disconnected. Do the rear tail lights illuminate when the parking/head lights are on?
Old 06-27-2014, 04:12 PM
Parawhore
Rennlist Member

I checked, and cleaned that 4 wire ground under the hatch carpet, nothing. Then I tested both brake and hazard switches, good. The taillights do work.

I'm starting to think the fuse box might be corroded inside. A few of the fuse receptacles do look visibly corroded. The main reason I'm leaning towards the fuse box, is I noticed when the car is on, and you flip the signal lights on (either left or right), the fuel pump pulsates. So clearly something is sorting out in the dash.

Quick Reply: Brake Light/Hazard Problem