Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 951 Dash Wiring Question/Plug Identify

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 07:52 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1986 951 Dash Wiring Question/Plug Identify

I have been replacing some switches in my 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo (sun roof switch, climate control,etc. and was trying to track down why my stereo quit working and while I was looking at the wiring behind the non-original stereo I noticed some wires and a plug that I didn't know what they were for, I found via internet search the wires where for the factory booster/equilizer, but the plug is still a mystery to me.

The plug does not go to any of the switches I have in the shifter counsel like mirrors, sunroof..... but perhaps it goes to an option my car doesn't have, but since I have everything open I thought I would try and resolve and properly cap any unused wires, but more importantly hook up anything that has come undone!

As you can see it is a plugin similar to those that plug into the rocker panel switches by the shifter, etc.. It has a label with what looks like the number "4" on it and has two brown wires and a yellow and a blue on blue wire. I have been searching for a wiring diagram that I could find it and haven't yet, any input would be appreciated, especially to links of good wiring diagrams that I might be able to print out, the old "teach a man to fish....." proverb. Thanks in advance
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2014, 08:33 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Part of the harness to incorporate a rear wiper or central locking. From the looks of things [number of wires], I'd suspect central locking.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:23 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Thank you, since I only have manual locking then it would seem that it is just part of the standard wiring harness and since I don't have it, there is no reason to worry about it. Thank you very much!
Old 06-23-2014, 12:10 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheAllusionist
since I only have manual locking then it would seem that it is just part of the standard wiring harness and since I don't have it, there is no reason to worry about it.
Correct, nothing to worry about.

Let us know how things turn out with your head unit.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:20 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Thanks, starting to think it is the stereo, I will take it to a shop and have them let me know, I like it as it is a Blaupunkt with a cassette recepticle behind the face plate so I can play old school cassettes which ties into the cassette holder in the car! LOL
Old 06-25-2014, 07:23 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

So, I spent way too much time searching for a wiring problem and got smart and took, the Blaupunkt Malibu C50 to a local stereo shop and we hooked it up and it powers up but doesn't send out sound signals, so it is toast. I found a couple on Craigslist in far away states, but so far nobody wants to bother with shipping so I picked up a Bluapunkt Monterrey MP35 for $30.00 so that I can just toss it in and control the CD changer, I will miss not having a cassette player! ;( Man that makes me old, the stereo store told me that the trend is to go away from CDs even, so I am doubly out of date!

I did find a used Blaupunkt Bremen MP74 on Craigslist for real cheap that I am waiting to hear back on as that was suppose to be the audiophiles auto stereo top 10, but so far keeping it cheap and Blaupunkt. The other dash controls I replaced seem to work and it seemed that a new switch took care of my sunroof problems! Rear wheel bearing and AC compressor is all I have left to do, I HOPE!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:05 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Nice.

IIRC, you were looking at an M030-optioned 944 parts car a while back...did you end up doing anything to your suspension?
Old 06-26-2014, 12:13 AM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Actually I haven't done any big modifications and the reason why is that a couple Pacific Northwest Porsche guys (one shop owner and one racer) have told me it would be a shame to go and make all these modifications to a great example of a stock 951 with under 50,000 original miles, original paint..... And that I would have to race for years before I would even start to tap into the cars potential, and I partially agree. They strongly suggested I get another 951 that is sound but not prestine and go wild on it because there aren't many 951s that haven't been tracked, tricked out or thrashed and to leave mine alone.

So with that said I am trying to use the greatest restraint, my plans are to make some mods, but ones that were available on 951s (and the mods listed in the following sentence) but easily reverted. So I am putting on some items I have picked up, 4" LR Exhuast/test pipe, LR dual port wastegate, 55# injectors, SS brake lines, manual boost controller and gauges. I am looking for a KKK 26-8 turbo charger to have rebuilt with the latest advanced parts for a fast spooling turbo capable of 350 HP or so, modified intercooler and then I may go with an A-Tune, but first I will see how things are with my current Porsche factory Endurance Qualifying chips. That is where I am heading, keeping stock MAF, etc. so it looks as stock as possible and keep all original parts so I can go back as needed.

Long winded explanation, I have thought about putting on M030 sway bars, struts and shocks as well, but I plan on trying to keep it conservative and once I get some kids through college and some more garage/driveway space try and get a 88 Turbo S or 89 Turbo and building it to the gills.

That's the short answer! LOL
Old 06-26-2014, 11:23 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheAllusionist
That's the short answer!
Good answer. In this case, I actually wouldn't change a thing.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:47 AM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Yeah, I am slowly working my way down t ok less and less all the time.

Quick Reply: 1986 951 Dash Wiring Question/Plug Identify