Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hatch latching seal/gasket, I've heard of Porsche tax but this is ridiculous

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hatch latching seal/gasket, I've heard of Porsche tax but this is ridiculous

My rubber hatch latching seals/gaskets are leaking. (The seals where the hatch pins insert into).
Replacements for these (after market, not dealer) are >$60 & >$100 (different price for L & R).
Not sure I care to understand the "why" but are there any other options ... silicone sealant, etc.? Surely not everyone's paying these prices
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2014, 05:42 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Contact Lart's Porsche Parts.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:48 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

I just bought them for my 968 from Sunset Porsche, OEM part, $61 each, and I also bought the gasket that goes all the way around the opening for the hatch for $98.

The parts numbers for the 968 are as follows:

Rear Hatch Seal 94451204300 $98.32
Rear Hatch Latch Gasket 94451246502 $61.34
Old 06-19-2014, 06:09 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Looked at the Larts inventory and Sunset (dealer in OR), no part matches ... the search continues
Old 06-19-2014, 06:23 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Just the seals for a set in perfect condition $39.99 shipped

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=251564476561

Last edited by lart951; 06-19-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:45 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

They look like the correct replacement for my seals but I understand this part differs by VIN.
My VIN is WP0AA0956GN152538
Sign me up if the correct part can be verified
Old 06-22-2014, 02:57 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure that those seals are the cause of whatever you are looking to fix - I've not seen a leak I could trace to those, but maybe you have. the usual cause of leak is the glass separating from the hatch frame.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:08 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

It's starting to point to those hatch latching seals/gaskets.

I palced a new hatch seal around the entire hatch. When inside the car, when water is poured onto the spoiler, the water comes in behind the metal panel with the hole in it so it's never hitting the module that the white hose plugs up into
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2014, 11:37 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Did another test, if those hatch seals/gaskets were leaking it would be a result of too much water poured through the square opening but in this test I poured water directly into the hole where it should go straight down into the white hose.

What happened is that in the back of the module that the hose attached up into, the water comes out, there seems to be no type of seal there.

Opening
|
V
Module
|
V
White hose

It doesn't appear that anything's broken in the module, just that it's open like that, I'm missing something ... ?
Old 06-26-2014, 07:33 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Are the hoses clogged? one of my cars had broken glass in them from a shattered hatch at some point in its life.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Before I rant about how the 944 spoiler is the worst design ever, let me ask:

a) the two small rectangular openings where the spoiler meets the glass are not "aligned" with the latch holes where the water goes down into. How is the water being directed into the latch holes?

b) I want to remove the spoiler and go with plain glass (even though it'll look terrible because It looks as though water will just run off the back of the glass and off to the side but I have no idea where to get a tool to remove those "flathead with a center block" bolts out? I tried a needlenose plier but I can't get one small enough to fit in those openings.

I took the latch assembly apart and see that the water drains down into a tray and the hose is at the back of the tray so water overflows out of the tray if either a) the hose is clogged or b) water enters the latch holes faster than the skinny white tube can drain it out.

c) has anyone come up with a solution to replace the "tray" system with something like a direct wide hose that hooks right up to the latch holes so that if the hose is clogged (less likely due to wider diameter) or water pours in a a higher rate than the hose can accommodate, the water will just back up out of the latch holes instead of overflowing into the car?
If not what is a good/flexible material I can use to gin something up? I was thinking a wide flexible hose with a clamp ...
Old 06-30-2014, 12:31 PM
dhansen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
Before I rant about how the 944 spoiler is the worst design ever, let me ask:

a) the two small rectangular openings where the spoiler meets the glass are not "aligned" with the latch holes where the water goes down into. How is the water being directed into the latch holes?

b) I want to remove the spoiler and go with plain glass (even though it'll look terrible because It looks as though water will just run off the back of the glass and off to the side but I have no idea where to get a tool to remove those "flathead with a center block" bolts out? I tried a needlenose plier but I can't get one small enough to fit in those openings.

I took the latch assembly apart and see that the water drains down into a tray and the hose is at the back of the tray so water overflows out of the tray if either a) the hose is clogged or b) water enters the latch holes faster than the skinny white tube can drain it out.

c) has anyone come up with a solution to replace the "tray" system with something like a direct wide hose that hooks right up to the latch holes so that if the hose is clogged (less likely due to wider diameter) or water pours in a a higher rate than the hose can accommodate, the water will just back up out of the latch holes instead of overflowing into the car?
If not what is a good/flexible material I can use to gin something up? I was thinking a wide flexible hose with a clamp ...
Hopefully I can help a little bit. I learned the following by performing several isolated water tests on my ‘83 944. The two small rectangular openings where the spoiler meets the glass are not intended to direct water into the latch hole drains. They are designed to drain water directly out to the back of the spoiler to prevent pooling of water on the spoiler and glass. The latch hole drains are designed to catch water that inevitably runs down the sides of the hatch and into the latch holes. While tracking down my leak, I dumped and hose-sprayed water all around the hatch without a drop coming into the trunk space. I also poured water directly into both hatch reservoirs and they worked flawlessly without a leak. It wasn’t until I poured water into the two small rectangular openings where the spoiler meets the glass, that I got a leak. Therefore, I presume the leak is under the spoiler and given the difficulties with removing the spoiler, I just deal with the leak.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:35 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Be aware that removing the spoiler increases your drag, without it in place you go from .35 to .40cd on drag. I base that on the 924 numbers which were .37 for the spoilerless cars and .33 for the 931. Extrapolated from that an NA 944 is .35 and should be .4 after that.

Keep the spoiler or run a 931/924S one if you want it to be smaller, it actually does work for the cars aero unlike most other vehicles.

Side note: why is every one of your threads prefaced with "This car is the stupidest ever"? Try to be more positive, we have it easy, trust me on this. I just bought a saab and the 944 has so much more support and info out on it. We are spoiled.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:36 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by dhansen
Hopefully I can help a little bit. I learned the following by performing several isolated water tests on my ‘83 944. The two small rectangular openings where the spoiler meets the glass are not intended to direct water into the latch hole drains. They are designed to drain water directly out to the back of the spoiler to prevent pooling of water on the spoiler and glass. The latch hole drains are designed to catch water that inevitably runs down the sides of the hatch and into the latch holes. While tracking down my leak, I dumped and hose-sprayed water all around the hatch without a drop coming into the trunk space. I also poured water directly into both hatch reservoirs and they worked flawlessly without a leak. It wasn’t until I poured water into the two small rectangular openings where the spoiler meets the glass, that I got a leak. Therefore, I presume the leak is under the spoiler and given the difficulties with removing the spoiler, I just deal with the leak.
The spoiler is easy to remove, its just a few phillips screws. The side pieces require you to get a cheap flat screw driver and grind a U into them so they fit the funky nuts. then its pretty much just unscrew and go. Pull it and then seal things up.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:40 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That picture is of the old hatch seal I assume? It should not be cut in the middle and have a gap like that. You should pop your hatch struts loose to install it as one uncut piece. That would definitely let water in.

Quick Reply: Hatch latching seal/gasket, I've heard of Porsche tax but this is ridiculous