Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine fan question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 09:47 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default engine fan question

So I looked on Clark's and did a search and didn't find an answer.

I have an issue with one (I think) of the fans in the engine. I think it's the "high temp" fan, or the fan that turns on when the engine gets hot or to a high temperature. It'll turn on for a couple of seconds, then shut off, then on again for a couple of seconds, then off, and continues this cycling until I shut the car down.

I did notice that the temp gauge would go close to to "H" if I let the car idle after starting then the other fan turns on and the temp gauge goes down to normal, but once that fan turns on it continues the cycle I mentioned above.

Another thing I observed was the voltage gauge would go down a little when the fan turned on, then up with it turned off, then down when it turned on, and continues this up/down as long as the fan keeps turning on/off.

I think I need to observe the fans more from start up and time everything so at least there's a time frame of when things happen.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:20 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts

Sounds like an issue I had when I first picked up my S2 a couple of years ago.

Wires controlling the fan operations attach with a spade connection to two round ceramic resistors beneath the plastic shroud at the base of the windshield on the passenger side. (Near the battery.)

Those wires crack, melt, the spade connections corrode, etc. I needed to wrap one of the wires with electrical tape, and I cleaned up and tightened all the spade connections and applied some dialectric paste to them. All has been well for a good while now..
Old 06-12-2014, 11:20 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 on the switch or fan connections.

Quick Reply: engine fan question