Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning ground points

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 05:39 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cleaning ground points

Cleaning the ground points is the next major task for me to do.

I've seen the diagram indicating where the ground points are. However, given that I've never done it before, and have practically no mechanical experience with this car at all, I feel like I might need some more help besides a simple overhead map of the car.

What the map doesn't tell me is if any of these points are easier accessed from below? Are any of the only accessible after moving or removing other parts? Are there any other tips or advice to help me locate any of the points?
Old 06-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nearly all Ground Points are located from the top of car. All Ground Wires are BROWN in Color. To properly clean them you need to take them apart and clean with a small wire brush. After they are cleaned and bolted/screwed back together I use Dielectric grease to cover them. The Main Ground Point is located at the Top of the Clutch Bell Housing. Before taking it apart put some tape over the Clutch Inspection Hole to prevent anything from dropping down into the Clutch Area. This area is easier to reach IF the Intake Manifold is removed. A (wyit) is to change out the Heater Control Valve and the water hose.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 06-09-2014, 06:06 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Thanks for the tips!

My plan, based on what I've read or been told so far, was to disconnect the ground wire and clean both the connector on the wire as well as the chassis point it attaches to, using a cordless Dremel tool with wire brush attachment. The carbon steel wire brushes. I'll also have on hand a toothbrush-type wire brush in case that's easier to use anywhere.

Once I put a connection back together, I'll cover them with dielectric grease like you said.

I will probably replace the HCV and all water hoses at the same time that I do the timing belt service, which will be soon.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:12 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 329 Posts

Over on the 928 forum there is a lot of discussion about cleaning grounds. Many folks recommend the Deoxit products. It is expensive but a little bit goes a long ways. I bought some at Radio Shack for around $20.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:45 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Originally Posted by harveyf
Over on the 928 forum there is a lot of discussion about cleaning grounds. Many folks recommend the Deoxit products. It is expensive but a little bit goes a long ways. I bought some at Radio Shack for around $20.
Thanks, just did a search here for "deoxit" and came across this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...-it-works.html looks promising, I'll definitely pick up a bottle.

But as was pointed out in that thread, I'll still have to take apart the connections so the liquid can get in there and clean them.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-interior.html

Quick Reply: Cleaning ground points