Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad lunch hour!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 01:00 PM
Paul T.
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like the insurance company may be trying to screw you out of your car with estimates that damn high. Watch those bastards, they may try to total it and then one of their agents will get it fixed cheap and start driving it around, little ****s.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:02 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

not wanting to **** on your parade but. most insurance policies say they can use non OEM parts. thats your first fight.

second, paint often doesnt stick to aftermarket rubber bumpers. Luis is correct in theory, but from what i have seen in the northeast, not likely.

Bondo, when applied correctly to a small dent like yours makes the panel the same shape as before. dont forget they pull the dent out as much as possible first.

factory paint on my aurora is 8 mm (whatever the measurement) on a new honda it is 6 mm. the honda paint is better because it is thinner, hence it can expand and contract more before cracking. just look at the shingles on my house for an live explantation of thick paint cracking.

i would take the $$, and have a reputable shop fix the dent, and leave the slightly torn bumper cover. you will get used to the mark Marc, and be glad you have a few Marks (as in deutsche) in your pocket.

i would not replace the fender, the new one may not line up under the hood, and a good forensic examination may make the next purchaser think the accident was worse than it is.

you guys are being pickier with this 15 year old car than I am with oldsmobile and my brand new car (three little runs in paint 15 month battle). it aint worth it!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 01:03 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Andy,

hey, I will See what they have to say, I am open as long as the car is fixed to my standards.

My mechanic is:
Dealer Alternative
62 Franklin Ave
West Orange, NJ 07052

Owner is Seth, he is a really good guy. If you go make sure you tell him I sent ya.

My car is there right now getting the AC looked at and an Oil change
Old 08-05-2003, 01:04 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

I had about the same dent from my roommates insanely oblivious girlfriend.

PDR made it look ok, but you can see it plain as day in certain light.

Stay on them to replace the fender and repaint what is needed. Don't settle until you are happy. Since it was a 100% at fault accident, it will not hold up in court if it progresses that far.

I feel your pain.. hang in there!
Old 08-05-2003, 01:09 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Tom R.
not wanting to **** on your parade but. most insurance policies say they can use non OEM parts. thats your first fight.

second, paint often doesnt stick to aftermarket rubber bumpers. Luis is correct in theory, but from what i have seen in the northeast, not likely.

Bondo, when applied correctly to a small dent like yours makes the panel the same shape as before.

factory paint on my aurora is 8 mm (whatever the measurement) on a new honda it is 6 mm. the honda paint is better because it is thinner, hence it can expand and contract more before cracking. just look at the shingles on my house for an live explantation of thick paint cracking.

i would take the $$, and have a reputable shop fix the dent, and leave the slightly torn bumper cover. you will get used to the mark Marc, and be glad you have a few Marks (as in deutsche) in your pocket.

i would not replace the fender, the new one may not line up under the hood, and a good forensic examination may make the next purchaser think the accident was worse than it is.
Tom,

The picture does not quite do the dent justice.
I would be happier with a new fender.
This body shop works on Porsches all the time, they are well versed in painting these rubber bumpers. They did the one on my 87 and it was fine.

Fact of the matter is, This was NOT my fault and I want my car fixed to MY satisfaction. I am willing to compromise a bit, but not much. This is their insurance, not mine. I want OEM.
I have fought with insurance companies before and I usually get what I want.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:21 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I kinda see Tom's point...removing the fender, putting a new one on might look like a front-end collision.

BUT, no body shop can make a bondo'd fender look new. There will always be something that stands out.

Get the new fender, skip the almost $2k bumper skin repair!

I'll send you a PM about my mechanic woes...!
Old 08-05-2003, 02:48 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

I am just going to see what the insurance company wants to do and take it from there, of they want to buy me a new bumper cover, who am I to refuse?
Old 08-05-2003, 07:24 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

see what they offer. if they offer a new bumper cover take the $$$, you know it will be needed elsewhere soon.

I just settled up with GM today. there were runs in my paint that nobody but me would notice. took a year of haggling, and a couple of calls from my cousin (a GM engineer/brand manager) to get me out of the customer service black hole.

they offered to repaint half the car. i told them if i wasnt happy with the QC of the factory paint job (took 16 months for them to admit it was repainted at the factory) i know i wouldnt be happy with another layer of paint on my car, etc.

Customer service insisted on repairing it, they didnt care that one of their own engineers said repainting would make it worse!!

i ended up settling for a repaint when I want it (i think i have about two years to take them up on it) and another year on the warrantee (7yr/75k up from 6yr/60k) since GMs either last forever or self destruct at about 60k I will either be a big winner or have argued a year for nothing.

Listen to what the experts at the body shop say. nobody that posted is an expert. the guys that do the work every day will know the best route.

Quick Reply: Bad lunch hour!