Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Out of state ticket!!! First time!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 01:24 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP!!! Out of state ticket!!! First time!

Ok, ive read all the legal discussions on this board but i am in a situation i think i need some help on. I am on vacation for a little bit and i got a speeding ticket out of state! First ticket ever. "86" in a 70. I was doing about 80 + - a few mph cause cars were blowing past me left and right (even at that speed). We were in the middle of nowhere flatlands in CA. The ticket does not state points or a fee. All it says is some number and then "airplane." Must have been cops day for tickets since 5 other cars were pulled over as well. In 9 hours driving i never saw one cop. There were 5 right htere pulling people over! What the hell? Anyways, i leave CA in 3 days and i live outside washington D.C. ! What do i do? Anyone know anything about CA law and tickets? It wasnt even my car. I dont care about money, i just dont want points. There was no discussion with this guy. He took license and just came back with ticket and was like see ya. What do i do!!!!! HELP!!!!
Old 08-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know for sure, but often only the states right near where you are registered will report the ticket to your home state. So if you live in D.C. or Maryland be careful about tickets in Delaware, Pennsylvania, etc. I am registered in New York, but I've only gotten tickets in Connecticut and Pennsylvania. Even though those states border on New York, I paid the tickets right away and got no points on my license. I would say pay the ticket ASAP. Also, I'm sure if you took ten minutes to call the California State Troopers, or Highway Patrol or whatever they are called out there they could answer you for sure. Just ask if you get points or even how to avoid getting points. All the experiences I've had with state troopers have been good, even when I've been driving way "too fast". Good luck
Old 08-03-2003, 04:26 PM
Patricia
Racer

Tony, were you by any chance on US101 near King City? The CHP is notorious for using airplanes in that area . . .

If you were local, you could do traffic school, I don't know about out-of-staters. You can do that for your first ticket, you end up paying but don't get the points (I think that's how it works, that what happened to my son but that's been a while.) You might want to talk to a local attorney who specializes in traffic tickets.

Good luck,
Pat
Old 08-03-2003, 04:36 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Um, BTDT. No traffic school options available for out of state violators. No points, either. Just pay up and shut up. You can mail the sucker in. Out of state speeding tickets are a revenue generator if I ever saw one. If you don't pay, it's left hanging over your head until the next time you are in that state. Not something I would want to live with. Sorry!
Old 08-03-2003, 06:47 PM
Mark Parker
Burning Brakes

I know that most of the states contiguous to mine have "reciprocal agreements" with KY. So if I don't deal with a ticket I got in IN, the KY authorities will come after me. I don't know how that might effect your situation, but I'd think twice before I decided to just blow it off.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:34 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd call whatever phone # is on the back of the ticket and ask about it, sometimes on out of state tickets tou can make a deal for more $ and no points and some states don't report the points back to your home state.

I've heard and may be wrong that there is a financial "sharing" with recoprocal agreements and many states don't report them back.

In driving a semi I think I only had Texas come back on me for a ticket and had 1 in Az. that I was really pissed about the circumstances and didn't pay and never heard from them again.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Florida951
Racer

The exact same thing happened to me a week ago also clocked by an airplane at 86 in a 70, lol I asked him to not give me a ticket and he complied hehe. Mine was instate
Old 08-05-2003, 04:47 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

I ask the cop in the car to have the cop in the aircraft sign the ticket. Since he can't and he is supposed to I don't get those tickets.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:43 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by SoCal Driver
I ask the cop in the car to have the cop in the aircraft sign the ticket. Since he can't and he is supposed to I don't get those tickets.
I hear that gets 'em really pissy.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:58 AM
tim944
Cruisin'

I tried that once after about a twenty minute chase with a helicopter. When the black & whites finally got there, they told me the helicopter pilot would be glad to talk to me (at the police station). Needless to say, I signed it.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:03 AM
Phil Harrison
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just pay the tickets, should be no points in your state & insurance will not be efected
Old 08-05-2003, 10:44 AM
soundboy4
Racer

i live in NC and en route to Virginia to visit my girl i got a ticket going 50 in a 25. I hired a lawyer who represented me in court, it was my first ticket ever and for some reason or another they totally dropped the ticket (i only expected to have the mph reduced). and to top it off, the lawyer didn't charge me anything, i guess i'm a nice guy . So if your willing to fight it a lawyer might be a good investment, it's the tickets going 15mph over and more that really screw you over.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:17 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

Tony:
I got a ticket in the Florida Keys on the way to Spring Break in college. Paid the fine, no points. I guess Florida didn't have reciprocity with Maryland.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:45 PM
Gear Dog
Instructor

When I got out of the service I was driving from VA back to NYC and was hauling a$$ to get home. In Delaware there was a trooper standing in the middle of the highway with a radar gun just pulling everyone over. I tought about just blowing by him but I was in my Rabbit and had the windows down so there was no way I was out runnning him

When in VA I applied for a license and they never took my NY one. So I thought I would give them my VA one and just never use it again. Well when I had to renew my NY license they told me that I had a VA license and I needed to turn it in. I played dumb and told them I lost it. So I had to called the VAMV and the ticket caught up with me. 3 months later I paid the ticket turned in the VA license and had the NY license with no additional points.

The moral to the story is just pay the ticket it isn't worht the trouble.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:08 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Anyone ever read this book? "Speeding Excuses That Work: The Cleverest Copouts and Ticket Victories Ever" just wondering, haven't read it myself.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Out of state ticket!!! First time!