Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky injector - help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:49 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Leaky injector - help please

My 924S is almost ready to hit the road after replacing the clutch, but I have a pesky injector leak at the cylinder head. I changed the O rings and no problem on the other 3 injectors, I am on my second try to get this one right.
When I changed the O rings I did not change the little"hats" that go on the end, because I could not find the right kit locally (I bought Volvo kits that do have the same O rings). This time I had a closer look at the "hat" and I see a hairline crack. Could this cause the leak? Or should I be looking elsewhere. From what I see the gas is coming up from the O ring in the head, not from the injector itself or the fuel rail O ring.
Thanks for any help...

Last edited by elgy; 05-02-2014 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spelling, duh
Old 05-04-2014, 12:59 AM
NoRush993/951
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Auto Atlanta has the injector seal kits.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:02 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

renbay has nice kits. but the little hats won't affect leaking. I had luck getting a container of injector cleaner and using it straight - remove the hat, fill the injector with the cleaner and press on the little wire tip that comes out of the injector to open and close it, letting pure cleaner flow through the injector - do this for a while until you think the leak has stopped. then put it back in the car - I used this method to unclog some injectors on an 84 that had sat in a field for a decade.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Move the injectors to different cylinders to see if the leak follows the injector or stays with the rail. Have an extinguisher with you and needless to say, don't run the motor with a leaking injector -- way too many stories about these cars catching on fire here...
Old 05-05-2014, 02:12 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

wait - is the injector leaking into the manifold, or is it leaking from the fuel rail?
Old 05-08-2014, 03:51 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

The leak is external, but from the bottom of the injector not the fuel rail.

I decided to buy new gasket kits and found that my local Porsche dealer has them in stock, less than Pelican if shipping is taken into account. After picking them up I realized that they are exactly the same as the Volvo kits that I bought last fall... the only parts that are usable are the o-rings. The rims of the hats are larger, they are deeper and the hole is smaller. And the plastic washer in the kit is thicker and has a larger hole than my old ones. These are Porsche parts # 944 110 901 00 as in the 924S parts katalog. These are the same kits that I see on Pelican, Auto Atlanta and Vertexauto. On the Pelican site there are 2 comments...

"Comments: I just needed an o-ring so this kit worked for me. If you need the cap for your 944 injector, get a different kit.

Comments: This is represented as "Best" OEM Bosch parts. When you recieve them you will find they are for Volvo and made in Sweden. There are only two "O" rings that will fit your Porsche. The Top Hat does not fit and will be a throw away. Apparently a shipping confirmation on the internet is the first you will learn that the "Kit" is actually only two useable "O" rings. Don't destroy your Top Hat plastic like I did, only to find out this is NOT a kit! I now have $600 worth of worthless injectors!"

On the Paragon Products site their part description includes this...
"Genuine Porsche. Now with correct Pintle caps not available from Bosch."

I assume the Pintle cap is what is commonly called the "hat", but from the picture it looks to be the same one as the other kits and the plastic washer is not the one I need.

Anyone know if it is possible to get the real deal for a 924S (and 944)???

My original parts are on the left and the Volvo/Porsche parts on the right. As mentioned the o-rings are OK.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:26 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

I just took a look at the Rennbay site as suggested by W_B_N... that looks like the right set...
Old 05-16-2014, 04:52 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

So I ordered a kit from Renbay... when it arrived the Pintle caps looked the same as the Volvo kit, except in blue. I called Renbay and was assured that they would fit... so I installed it... it worked... no more leak!!!
Renbay rocks.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:30 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

So do you have extra usable O rings. If they would work for an S2 I would take them off your hands. I am local.

GO HABS GO!

Mark

Quick Reply: Leaky injector - help please