Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my LAST sunroof thread!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 10:35 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How easy is to do damage these gears? What's the right way to use the roof? I don't wanna mess anything up cause mine is working good.
The gears only get damaged if the slip clutch on the motor is set too tight. When it is working properly, a person presses the button to pull the locking arms down and away from the roof panel. When those arms bottom out on the back of the roof, the slip clutch allows the motor to continue running and the clutch slips keeping the bottomed out arms from eating the plastic gears. Mine has been misadjusted for years (when I got the car the gears were wasted and I replaced them without any instructions) and I knew not to let the arms bottom out. But the one time I did was enough to cause me to buy some more gears...
Old 08-04-2003, 01:30 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Originally posted by nine-44
To remove the roof, turn the ignition to the very first position and hit the button. The arms that hold the roof will drop and unlock the roof, unlatch the two latches in the front, push it up a bit and it should slide back and come off.
Hmmm... Hit the button? Which - up or down? Is this with the roof already up or down. The first ignition position... Is that before the gauges and lights come on on the dash? I tried all combinations and nothing has worked so far...
Old 08-04-2003, 07:15 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

to put the arms down, put the ign. in the first postion, then hit the UP button to lower the arms. Basically the arms are moving just as if you were lowering them, but they go low enough to come out of the tabs in the roof. When i set my new gears in, i put it in the first postion and lowered the arms, then installed my new gears so they were in the same position w/ each other. The slip clutch really does help to keep the gears safe, now mine just hums alittle after i lower the arms, like a power antenna.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:16 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

oh, yes, no lights should come on, even though i think my radio comes on..
Old 08-04-2003, 08:34 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Sid, You definitely need to do a write up of this motorized-to-manual conversion. I think a LOT of us would use it Add pictures and we'd all appreciate it. -Dan
Old 08-04-2003, 08:34 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Sid, You definitely need to do a write up of this motorized-to-manual conversion. I think a LOT of us would use it Add pictures and we'd all appreciate it. -Dan
Old 08-04-2003, 08:37 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

All right already. You don't have to tell me twice.

Old 08-05-2003, 01:42 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Hmmm... I'm having problems... I did exactly what you guys said to remove it. I get absolutely nothing out of the sunroof in the first position. (my radion comes on but nothing else like you said) Is it a microswitch problem?
Old 08-05-2003, 01:48 AM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

ahhh Dan you stole my avatar!!
And you're 20 mins away from me.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:31 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by cpt_koolbeenz
Hmmm... I'm having problems... I did exactly what you guys said to remove it. I get absolutely nothing out of the sunroof in the first position. (my radion comes on but nothing else like you said) Is it a microswitch problem?
If your roof works fine in Switch Pos #2 (goes up and down, and locks) but does NOTHING in Switch Pos #1, then it's probably the microswitch just above the rear view mirror. If you look at the front of the sunroof from inside the car, both ends have a "over center catch", while the "middle" only has a "tab". That tab depresses a microswitch that indicates whether the roof panel is "on or off" the car. If there is no pressure on the pad (switch out of adjustment for example), the logic is that the roof panel is removed and the sunroof drive mechanism will not get any power. This is to prevent you from extending the lifting arms when there is no panel present.

Try pushing "UP" a bit on that center tab while depressing the sunroof switch (try both ways) while the switch is in Pos #1. If the arms release the roof panel, it's an easy adjustment to re-engage that switch.

Quick Reply: my LAST sunroof thread!!!!!!!!!!