Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWSOME GERMAN ENGINEERING UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 12:09 PM
mdcontracting
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWSOME GERMAN ENGINEERING UPDATE

Check this out guys!!!!

1.. On the head where the water enters by the # 1 intake is a gasket then an adapter then a gasket then the goose neck that attaches to a rubber hose. Why the adapter with the extra gasket Just something extra to fail.

2.. Right beside the adapter (almost touching it) is the # 1 intake gasket.

3..My adapter gasket had a small leak. (very hard to find) And my # 1 intake was leaking (a very very small leak.) Just enough to make the car run a tad rough.

4..# 1 intake is pulling in some of the water from the leak at the adaptor. # 1 intake gasket is wet..

No wonder you Germans lost both world wars

Thought this might be of some help to someone some day.Would love to get rid of that adapter with a single goose neck.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:31 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is dumb. Your car is 25 years old... do you really expect every gasket to still be nice and fresh?

You mock german engineering but yet you want to engineer some stupid re-design for something so easy to fix. Why not just replace the gaskets and be done with it for another 25 years?

Old 04-06-2014, 12:36 PM
mdcontracting
Intermediate

Im just playing fellow. The germans do make some of the best tool and die machinery in the world. Just not the best thought out cars. All of my gasket were changed 20 k ago by the way. I have got a 4 runner with 275.000 only bought a battery and some bulbs and we take it to the woods a lot.I do love my 951 though!!
Old 04-06-2014, 12:44 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by mdcontracting
Check this out guys!!!!

1.. On the head where the water enters by the # 1 intake is a gasket then an adapter then a gasket then the goose neck that attaches to a rubber hose. Why the adapter with the extra gasket Just something extra to fail.
On the NA there is a single gasket and a different shaped gooseneck/upper rad hose.
On the turbo since there is an intercooler pipe in the path of that rad hose, they changed the angle of the gooseneck to run a hard pipe alongside the engine to a shorter hose.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:23 PM
mdcontracting
Intermediate

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
On the NA there is a single gasket and a different shaped gooseneck/upper rad hose.
On the turbo since there is an intercooler pipe in the path of that rad hose, they changed the angle of the gooseneck to run a hard pipe alongside the engine to a shorter hose.
Thanks for the info.
I think I am going to see if my friend could make me a one piece just for the fun of it. Anything to make it more reliable. It is fix now any way. Just thought that was a interesting problem I had.
Murphy's Law
Old 04-06-2014, 04:42 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

The reason there are two gaskets and an adapter plate is:

1. Porsche didn't have to redesign the gooseneck for the 951, just make a simple adapter and used the 944 design.

2. And now they can sell you more parts and make more money.

Those smart Germans!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:00 PM
mdcontracting
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MAGK944
The reason there are two gaskets and an adapter plate is:

1. Porsche didn't have to redesign the gooseneck for the 951, just make a simple adapter and used the 944 design.

2. And now they can sell you more parts and make more money.

Those smart Germans!
Ha, You are correct!! We have flown in some German repair guys where I work a few times... They are smart and very precise. They bring real nice tools as well.

Quick Reply: AWSOME GERMAN ENGINEERING UPDATE