Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Get Flack For the Time You Spend On Rennlist???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 10:37 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do You Get Flack For the Time You Spend On Rennlist???

Just wondering if there are other fellas out there that get flack from their significant other (wife, husband etc.) for the amount of time they spend on Rennlist?

My wife usually makes a comment every time she sees me log'd on to Rennlist. She does have a legitimate reason as I really have to many other things I should be doing besides posting (ie.- full-time grad student including summer semesters, work full-time, very active in our faith, and squeezed in there somewhere is a social life and time for the wife and dare say the car ) To add to our busy'ness my wife additional is a full-time grad student/works full-time and is very involved in our faith also. And if that wasn't enough, we are in the middle of purchasing a 3 unit rental property

She truly does have reason to gripe if you ask me, but Rennlist is one of my few things that I actually get to do for recreation or should I say "me time". The whole Porsche thing totally escapes her. She honestly thinks we are a bunch of obsessive compulsive - **** retentive weirdos with expensive hobbies (not that that's a bad thing )

So let's hear your stories (I'm hiding this from here as she's walking behind me and wondering what I'm doing )

Cory
Old 07-30-2003, 10:49 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you work 8hrs days and goto school full time????
Old 07-30-2003, 10:58 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cory - tell her surfing the rennlist saves you money that you would otherwise spend on mechanics labour!
Old 07-30-2003, 11:01 PM
coolhand
Racer

Well, when I had a girlfiend (girls are evil) I would always be on Rennlist when I talked to her on the phone. She always asked why I never paid attention to her when she was talking. Hmmm, sometimes cars are just more intersting than girls
Old 07-30-2003, 11:04 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by 944S2NUT
How do you work 8hrs days and goto school full time????
Very carefully :-)

No really, I attend a weekend grad program designed for working individuals within my particular profession. Basically the program is design with a very specific undergrad field of study/work! Actually most individuals in the program only work part-time, but I'm too poor for that
Old 07-30-2003, 11:07 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Rich Sandor
Cory - tell her surfing the rennlist saves you money that you would otherwise spend on mechanics labour!
I've tried that one. Doesn't work because everytime I bite off a project (I even went out and bought one of those $500 tool sets from craftsman) I usually end up screwing something up and then taking it to the mechanic only to pay more for him to fix the problem + my screw up! Grant it there are a few things I've done on my own but definately not enough to pay for my tools yet!
Old 07-31-2003, 12:12 AM
Bruce '89 s2
Racer

At 4 a.m. UK time, the wife's been asleep for hours and this is supposed to be relaxing after a hard day dealing with the public – fishermen – tourists – people that didn’t turn up ‘cause they got lost – my turn to do the weekly shopping, actually it’s always my turn at the moment as the wife can’t drive as the head gasket's gone on her 280ce and she won’t drive my non auto. (Good – I get out more)

It took this thread to bring it home that I really should be in bed. G’night,
Bruce
Old 07-31-2003, 02:37 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by GOBOGIE
I've tried that one. Doesn't work because everytime I bite off a project (I even went out and bought one of those $500 tool sets from craftsman) I usually end up screwing something up and then taking it to the mechanic only to pay more for him to fix the problem + my screw up! Grant it there are a few things I've done on my own but definately not enough to pay for my tools yet!

Hahaha, that (sadly) sounds like our facilities guy at work. He'll waste time trying to fix something, break it more, and then have to call in a trades man to fix it. That's after he has already wasted a few days hiding out in the boiler room before he even starts to try to fix whatever is broken. I have lobbied to fire the worthless SoS and just cut to the chase of calling the trades man to begin with, but no go so far.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:48 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, most of the time I should be in bed. The rest of the time is spent fighting for the computer or fighting to stay on for"just one more minute". Actually, I should be working on... my car, my mom's 84, cleaning the house or whatever else I've put off and forgot about.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:43 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am single after getting out of a 7 year relationship. I am typing this at 2 AM and don't have to answer to ANYONE! Its one positive thing to come from all the mess the last 3 months I guess.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:10 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Bruce '89 s2
At 4 a.m. UK time, the wife's been asleep for hours and this is supposed to be relaxing after a hard day dealing with the public – fishermen – tourists – people that didn’t turn up ‘cause they got lost – my turn to do the weekly shopping, actually it’s always my turn at the moment as the wife can’t drive as the head gasket's gone on her 280ce and she won’t drive my non auto. (Good – I get out more)

It took this thread to bring it home that I really should be in bed. G’night,
Bruce
Bruce your website is awesome. Very beautiful pictures of the lakes or loch's as they were called I believe.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:15 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Flak for my time at Rennlist? No...

However, I do spend a little time over at another forum which does get me in a little trouble. In all fairness, though, my postcount has nothing to do with not having a life. Rather, The first two years were spent at a job where I had nothing else better to do...

BB.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:24 PM
Chris's Loss
Instructor

Well...here's what the significant other has to say. I know I'm just a dumb girl, but here's how I see it.

I used to get upset about Chris spending so much time here, but then I started paying attention to what he was reading and took an interest in what was going on.

I'm learning things about cars that I didn't think I'd ever know (or care to know) and get to spend time with him doing it. I don't mean to say that I know all there is to know about Porsches now, but I'm picking some things up and can recognize a few parts under the hood now.

I don't sit and hover all the time, but I do spend a lot of the time Chris is logged on with him reading. Maybe the women in your lives would benefit by spending some time with you on the site. Doesn't hurt for a woman to learn some mechanicing and spending time with the man you love is great. Get them involved and maybe they won't be as resentful as the time you spend here.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:39 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Chris's Chick
Maybe the women in your lives would benefit by spending some time with you on the site. Doesn't't hurt for a woman to learn some mechanicing and spending time with the man you love is great. Get them involved and maybe they won't be as resentful as the time you spend here.
Wonderful thought Patti but my wife is so not interested in Porsche's it's not even funny! To give you an idea, her idea of fun is practicing classical music on her piano (and yes I do love to hear her play).

We are just so far apart on the whole Porsche thing, not exactly sure how to bridge the gap. She has sat down and read a couple of the posts that I was reading now and then but it's only out of that "what are you doing" curiosity kind of thing.

Oh well, there's still hope.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:55 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My ex's only interest with porsches was to drive the 88 951 to the ground. Before blowing the head gasket on the S motor, she destroyed 2nd gear synchros by excessive grinding. Then she drove on a flat and bent the 993 wheel not to mention the mysterious dent (appears to be a moving pole) on the left front fender. What a payback for buying her a car to impress other guys and moving on after 7 years? Oh well, thats life I guess. Julie (Devia) was in awe at the damage done to that car when she came over. Patti, I think you are on the right track by learning about things that may benefit you in the future in more ways than one. My advice to Chris is: marry this woman if you are not already..... FAST.

Quick Reply: Do You Get Flack For the Time You Spend On Rennlist???