Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not your common odometer issue......

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 05:22 PM
todzilla
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not your common odometer issue......

OK this is a really odd one that - in my previous 5 Porsches - I'[ve never encountered!

About a week after I bought my '86 951, I did the gauge cluster lighting 'refresh' and all went great. I always reset my trip odometer upon a refill to track my mileage and know not to press the reset button when the car's in motion. But yesterday - about a month after I did the gauge lighting job - I noticed the the 2nd digit in my odo's cluter (not the trip meter, but the actual recorded mileage counter) is rolling over at the same rate as the last digit! In otherwords, it goes from 145000 miles to 155001 to 165002 (as an example)....yes, I'm accumulating a hideous amount of miles alarmingly quick! Not good!

I hadn't looked to see if this happened just after I reassembled the cluster after I plugged in the 3 harnesses behind the gauges, or if it's a recent, unrelated thing. It would make sense that something happened while I was in there tinkering, but it all went smooth and other than those 3 harnesses behind the gauges, nothing elaborate or detailed is really tinkered with so I don't think I tweaked anything?

I did some searching and I've heard gear failures are fairly common but from what I can tell, it's 'working'...just in hyperdrive!

Anyone experienced this kind of thing?

Cheers
Old 03-27-2014, 05:48 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 271 Posts

Yep, not uncommon problem with VDO speedometers. The bottom line is that the odo part of the speedo is a bit too loose on its spindle and one of the tumblers is turning in sympathy with the miles tumbler. Sometimes it's the thousands tumbler, sometimes it's the ten thousands, and sometimes it's the hundred thousands tumbler.

You might have to replace the speedo.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:26 PM
smz2ride
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a similar issue with mine. The tumblers are loose on the shaft as 931guru pointed out. I just cut a small slot in a washer, pushed all the tumblers to one side and wedged the washer in onto the shaft to take up the slack. That was about 10k miles ago
Old 03-28-2014, 02:11 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

as others said, you need to add a shim to take up the end play in the ODO mechanism - a small washer of suitable thickness is what you need. I usually slide the shaft out and put the washer in place and then slide it back, you can use plastic or metal washer.

And, please note, it is absolutely FALSE that pressing the reset on the trip odometer at any time has any relationship to the gear failure - if you look at the mechanism and how it works this will immediately be apparent to you.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:36 AM
todzilla
Racer

Thanx guys! I knew someone here had such an experience =)

So is it easy to get to that shaft to do the shimmy thing? I've had the gauge cluster out, and I know once it is, it's about 12 (?) teeny screws to get the thing apart...but from that point, is it fairly apparent as to how it's screwed together, so to speak? last thing I want to do is make it worse!

Cheers
Old 03-28-2014, 03:06 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Be sure to take pictures of the process when/if you do it so we have a resource for others.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:25 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 271 Posts

In order to split the speed into two parts, you have to remove the painted gauge face.

In order to remove the gauge face, you have to remove the speedo needle.

The speedo needle is VERY fragile, and, if you break it, it cannot be repaired.

Just sayin'.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:40 PM
todzilla
Racer

I think what I will be doing is just replacing the whole gauge cluster and being done with it. There's a friend here that has 2 clusters available so that is probably the safer approach. To be determined.......
Old 03-28-2014, 11:21 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

oh, come on - it is an easy fix, I've had about a dozen of these apart, just pop the pointer off, unscrew and disassemble - it's really not hard. don't be stupid, protect the face, use proper tools including a screwdriver that fits the screws and so on. If you are super clumsy I suppose you can break anything, I use a pair of dikes to leverage the pointer off.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:12 AM
todzilla
Racer

As I'm getting a cluster with a new odo gear installed thru a friend (thanx Rich!) - it's more cost effective to swap it out as opposed to take it apart. Were the gauge cluster pricey, I'd def. take your advice...but I'm getting a great deal =)
Old 03-29-2014, 01:22 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

you may be getting a deal, but you are learning nothing from it. But it's your choice.

Quick Reply: Not your common odometer issue......