Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire age and safety?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 02:33 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire age and safety?

Hello
I am about to drive across country and I was going to put my 15 inch phone dials back on to do it. The tires are Dunlop D60s that look like new. The only thing is they have sat in my garage since 2000. I don't knoiw how old they were before i got the car. How does one tell how old the tires themselves are? IS there a date code somewhere on them? Is there any danger in doing this? e.g. blow out in the middle of no where...

IPSC
Old 07-29-2003, 02:47 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

You wanna check the tires for dry-rotting...cracks in the tread/sidewall/everywhere.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:52 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There is a date code on the tire. It is the last 2 number in one of the series of numbers on the tire and America's Tire Company will NOT mount a tire more than 4 years old and they throw used tires away that is more than 4 yrs old even if its new. I just found out from the manager of one of their stores when I took a used tire to swap out and its made 6 yrs ago.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:07 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Do you know which series of numbers will show the date? If they are over 4 years old but are still in good shape (read near new) will they last the trip across country and back?
Old 07-29-2003, 03:21 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

There is lots of cars running with 10 year old tires. If a tire looks new, it probably is in good shape. The worst thing is a flat spot on the tire, but you wouldn't be able to tell it by looking. Flat spots develop if a car stays in one spot (not driven) for months or years. If your tire was out of the car, it should be OK.
Sure, a company can refuse mounting a 4 year old tire. They want to make money from selling new ones!
Stan
Old 07-29-2003, 04:52 PM
James86-951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dry rot is the number one thing to look for. (Look for tiny cracks on the shoulder of the tire and along the side wall.) Tire companies don't want the liability of a blow out or to have the tire blow up on the mechanic. I think the numbers are right next to the "DOT" mark. Usually in an oval cast mark.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:14 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

just remember not to armor all the tread. i wouldnt worry about old tires.

i changed the tires on my 90 RX7 in 98 because they were starting to rot, and i had extra cash. i would have confidently driven across the country on those 8 year old tires before i changed them.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:56 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Changes take place in tire rubber over time. Heat cycling does its part, and the volatiles in the rubber naturally leach out over time and the tires get hard and split (what folks call dry rot). You start to lose traction and durability when this happens. Tire experts use 5 years as an average shelf life.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:13 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here check this out, kind of long and comes off as regarding cosmetic of tires:

There are two main degrading agents that attack tires and rubber trim. They are UV light waves and ozone. Both of these attack the long hydrocarbon chains of the rubber and by breaking these bonds, shorten the molecules with resulting loss of elasticity and other problems. Tire manufacturers add two primary sacrificial protectants to the rubber. To protect against UV, they add carbon black. This is why tires don't come in designer colors to match your paint. The carbon black will turn white/gray as it absorbs the UV and dissipates the energy as heat. Thus the basis of rubber parts turning gray as they age. To protect against ozone, tire manufacturers add a wax based sacrificial protectant. The ozone attacks the wax and depletes it. As the tire rolls, additional wax is forced to the surface of the tire. This is referred to as "blooming". This blooming refreshes the surface wax protectant. A tire that has not been flexed will have the wax depleted by the ozone and thus begin to degrade and suffer "dry rot". The raw silicone oil that is the main ingredient in most of the nationally advertised over the counter products may actually dissolve the wax and be the cause of premature tire sidewall cracking/failure. The quality tire/rubber dressings should contain a strong UV protectant to bolster the efforts of the carbon black and not contain any raw silicone oil. Many of the nationally advertised rubber and vinyl products also contain formaldehyde. If you plan on having a funeral for your dash, then you may wish to use one of these products.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:45 AM
FormulaOne10
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Dad raced with 10 year old Yokohama A008RS autocross tires and almost took FTD at an autocross a few weeks ago...I think they are still pretty good. He was able to beat me with my brand new A032Rs and tricked out suspension. Obviously a new tire is preferrable but people get way too concerned about tire life. Just look at the tire and use your head. A tire off a Packard sitting in a barn for 60 years might not be able to cut it. However, some 10-15 year old tires you have sitting around in your basement will probably be fine for daily driving. Unless I'm out doing a few hours on a road course, or cruising at 140 on the autobahn, I'm really not concerned if my tire is a bit old.

Quick Reply: Tire age and safety?