Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LeMons Article About Peoples Curse - Team Draggin'

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014 | 09:29 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Default LeMons Article About Peoples Curse - Team Draggin'

http://blog.caranddriver.com/this-hi...ators-anymore/

Interesting read. Van, Sam, and Dan, looks like you the Dragon LeMons HQ a "bad taste in their mouth"

Did you guys know that 7 measily votes was all there was?
Old 02-20-2014 | 09:35 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Never mind... I see Dan's comment in the section below now. Couldn't agree more!
Old 02-20-2014 | 09:56 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

I'm glad they did away with that. Pretty bad form IMO.

I know its supposed to be a goofy event, but there really isn't a need to go destroy what some people worked hard to put together, regardless if its grossly over budget. If the car is obviously over budget, cool. Let them drive but they won't be officially scored.

They're holding a ridiculously goofy event, but then they want to police that very characteristic?

I also find it hard to understand how they originally justified punishing bad drivers when the only qualification to drive in the event is a standard-issue driver's license.

That part of the event seemed like irony in its most glorious form, IMO.

/rant.
Old 02-20-2014 | 10:41 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

I knew it was very few votes, but didn't know it was 7...

I don't recall exactly, but didn't we start with something like 75 penalty laps?

Race started at noon. A few hours into it we had the alternator pulley rub a hole in the upper radiator hose... this caused the engine to overheat. Changed the hose, put water back into it, and it overheated again. The overheating (the first time) caused the head gasket to blow. Travis (of Rennbay) loaned us a head gasket kit, and we did the swap in the paddock of Nelson Ledges in about 3 and a half hours. So who knows how many laps we were really down by when they decided to seize our engine.

We then got rip-roaring drunk and caused quite a nuisance for the rest of the race.
Old 02-21-2014 | 12:29 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Van
We then got rip-roaring drunk and caused quite a nuisance for the rest of the race.
Only way to do it!
Old 02-21-2014 | 12:30 AM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Is this the same dragon car txhokie4life has now? Looks familiar.

Either way, I COULD'VE USED SOME OF THOSE PARTS, YA BASTIDS!

I'm glad there's no curse anymore. Make the drivers do silly things, but don't take it out on the car.
Old 02-21-2014 | 01:25 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Cool read can't wait til I can afford getting into Chumpcar or LeMons.
Old 02-21-2014 | 02:06 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Great read, some of the local boys and myself have been discussing putting a lemons team together for next year (or two) to race in Austin. Love that dragon car too, what a cool paint job!
Old 02-21-2014 | 09:40 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Love that dragon car too, what a cool paint job!
That was all Dan - even though he worked at a body shop, he painted that at home with Home Depot paint and did the dragon scales with a cardboard template and a black rattle can. I tell you, he has talent!
Old 02-21-2014 | 10:52 AM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Great read, some of the local boys and myself have been discussing putting a lemons team together for next year (or two) to race in Austin. Love that dragon car too, what a cool paint job!
Do ittttt!!! That's how I ended up with a 944, heh.
Old 02-21-2014 | 02:30 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by ninjacoco
Do ittttt!!! That's how I ended up with a 944, heh.
Do you want in? We need two more folks, I'm local here in San Marcos, the other guys are in Waco and Copperas Cove respectively.
Old 02-21-2014 | 02:46 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

I was part of the dragon somethin' team as well. I was actually out in the car at midnight when they called all the cars in. Jay Lamm hopped in the passenger side and told me to go to the paddock. He said he really didn't want to do what he was about to do and he didn't think we deserved it. That was cool and all, but he still dumped clunker juice in our crank case! I think he should have made an executive decision then and there that there would not be a curse at that race. What a crappy thing to do to a high mileage 944 engine. The thing ran like a top even with 250k miles on it!

Originally Posted by banana944
http://blog.caranddriver.com/this-hi...ators-anymore/

Interesting read. Van, Sam, and Dan, looks like you the Dragon LeMons HQ a "bad taste in their mouth"

Did you guys know that 7 measily votes was all there was?
Old 02-21-2014 | 03:12 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Check out Chump Car instead. After attending races for both and talking to people that have ran with both groups, I will never do a LeMons event unless there is no chance of Chump Car ever coming into my area.
Old 02-21-2014 | 03:30 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Check out Chump Car instead. After attending races for both and talking to people that have ran with both groups, I will never do a LeMons event unless there is no chance of Chump Car ever coming into my area.
I'd like to, its way more serious and they have chump events at my home track 2 miles from my house, but I'm a college student and chump is a little over my budget for the time being
Old 02-23-2014 | 11:43 AM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

A ton of people always say to try Chump, it's so much better, etc., but I guess I'm the one who has just a little more fun with LeMons. Race weekends are always fun regardless, but I like the extra party, I guess.

Then again, my Chump attempt with the 944 ended with my car getting t-boned, so I guess that's sort of like the [insert bad LeMons penalty here] story I usually get when I folks go "you should try..." Admittedly, I need to try another race to really give it a fair shot...actually getting to drive might be nice!

tl;dr--ENTER ALL THE RACES! We built the replacement car to work for both with minimal modifications--seems best to keep your options open in case one skips your region, does an epic track, fills a hole in the schedule, or has another event that you really want to hop onto.

TBH, costs for entering both are about the same. LeMons raised their fees this year, too. (And do you know how much it is to buy lederhosen?! Haha.) The cheapest enter-a-team option would be to buy someone else's prepped or mostly prepped car, make the minor updates needed, and just run the thing. Worry about winning on laps/IOE/trophy of choice after you've done a few events, and then maybe trade up to or build a more suitable hoonmobile.

There's a 914-swapped Type 3 on CL...awwww maaaan, I miss my aircooled VW for this. My wallet is glad it's in Montana.

Do you want in? We need two more folks, I'm local here in San Marcos, the other guys are in Waco and Copperas Cove respectively.
Haha, I have a team already based out of San Marcos/H2R (wait...do we know each other?). It's that hopeless red 944 that's usually at the corner of the lot, although it's been over at a friend's shop lately so I can work on it after work. The old one was white, then Gulf blue (briefly...way, way too briefly).

The new car finally runs decently this week! SO happy.

Quick Reply: LeMons Article About Peoples Curse - Team Draggin'