Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED headlight upgrade completed

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:12 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Justin, thanks for guinea-pigging

Good to know they work at -10C

Sounded interesting. One thing, since they do not put out much heat, a very thick snow may cover the light (from reading, no personal experience). It would have to be just right conditions
My pleasure. I figure if I try something different I'll post it up, whether I'm successful or not. There's always something to learn. As for the snow... I'm not driving this car in the snow as I'd just end up plowing the roads with my splitter! On my old 944 that was winter driven, I only ever got a build up once on the lights and that was because they were warm and melting the snow as it hit the lens. It was like a big contact lens for my car when I peeled them off.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:55 PM
OakRZB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BikePilot
Nice work! I wonder what'd be involved in something like that for the 968...
Originally Posted by JustinL
If the 968 uses 7" sealed beam halogen bulbs, it should be a plug and play.
Sadly, we'll never see this type of upgrade for a 968. Lamp assembly is specific to the 968 and the standard 7" round "bulb" cannot be used.

Now if there were several million 968's out there, it -might- be feasible for GE to make them for us.

Regards,
'86 951 - Alpine White (sold)
Old 02-22-2014, 04:56 PM
OakRZB
Instructor

Good job on the upgrade and finding a quality item. Apart from color, I hope they end up being significantly brighter. Let us know how they perform....

Regards,
Old 02-22-2014, 05:05 PM
OakRZB
Instructor

Originally Posted by fast924S
So you spent $400 on lights but still use a 2x4 to hold your hood up?
Originally Posted by JustinL
It's a 1x4.
Too funny.

Those hood struts never get any respect.......

Regards,
Old 02-23-2014, 08:37 PM
Funn944
Pro

Some how, I don't see those non-fluted clear lenses getting past law enforcement in the good ol' US of A.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:29 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Funn944
Some how, I don't see those non-fluted clear lenses getting past law enforcement in the good ol' US of A.
Too be perfectly honest that is just a non-issue in Southern California. Cops are like anyone else most of the time...not looking for extra work. If you're not doing anything stupid you're just not going to get pulled over because of lights unless they infringe on their turf...meaning BLUE tinted lights.

I have done this mod, thanks to the OP, they are awesome.

Lastly, I had xenon ( real, not bulbs) on my AMG C36 when they first were appearing on cars and I wanted them. We installed also in the fog lights....never a problem in Manhattan Beach ( where I lived) or LA ( where I worked) and everything in-between. Lot's of my friends do lighting upgrades and never a issue. I'm sure the Xenons in my FJ are illegal but not a peep in 5 years.

The Law-enforcement issue of this is over-blown unless you live in Mayberry or a ******.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:32 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Originally Posted by Funn944
These lights are actually DOT approved, so it should be no problem.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:40 AM
sstrickstein
Pro

I've been running these for two years. Love them. Incredibly bright.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Dins
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great upgrade and first time I've heard of them.

For those that are looking into this for yourself I have found this place to have the cheapest. Still not a great price in my opinion, I was about to contact the vendor to see if a group buy on these things are possible.

Anyway, has anyone noticed flickering in these lights? This seems to be a common problem when people are putting them into their Jeeps.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:32 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Dins
Great upgrade and first time I've heard of them.

For those that are looking into this for yourself I have found this place to have the cheapest. Still not a great price in my opinion, I was about to contact the vendor to see if a group buy on these things are possible.

Anyway, has anyone noticed flickering in these lights? This seems to be a common problem when people are putting them into their Jeeps.
The site you linked notes "Anti-flicker Adapters" are available for $57.98. Any idea what the issue is there? Maybe not consistent 60 hZ power?
Old 03-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Dins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyS2
The site you linked notes "Anti-flicker Adapters" are available for $57.98. Any idea what the issue is there? Maybe not consistent 60 hZ power?
Looking at their website it seems that some of the later Jeeps use PWM to control the headlights.

If you are unfamiliar with PWM it stands for pulse width modulation. It is commonly used in applications like controlling the speeds of DC motors. It switches on and off rapidly the signal to keep things like a DC motor to slow it down. Problem is that LEDs can react quickly and there may be a noticeable off period.

Seems Jeep and other manufactures use PWM to send overall less power to the bulbs to elongate their life. Their adapter is likely a simple capacitor that keeps the voltage level constant during the off period.

Luckily for us, our cars do not do this as this is a newer trend, so we should be fine. Should have done more research on that topic before asking.

Hooray for being an electrical engineering student.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:21 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Dins
Hooray for being an electrical engineering student.
Just a simple Civil Engineer here. I don't speak "sparky" very well. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:08 PM
JustinL
Drifting

I can confirm there is no flickering in our cars and no need for the antiflicker stuff. My high beam switch was a bit dodgy and that made it flicker, but once I cleaned the contacts in the switch it went away. I had the same problem with the sealed beam units, but they just looked dim or dead sometimes.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:12 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyS2
Just a simple Civil Engineer here. I don't speak "sparky" very well. Thanks for the explanation.
Freshman electrical engineer student here, hopefully in the near future I will actually understand what Dins was talking about
Old 04-11-2014, 02:01 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Did some night driving with these lights. They are good. With the highbeams on, they are very bright and on low beam, they are not in the eyes of oncoming drivers. There are the two X patterns visible, but it's not a distraction. I will say that because my car is so stiff, the cut-off line bounces around a lot as the car pitches with the road. I'll try to get another picture next time I drive a country road at night.

Last edited by JustinL; 08-21-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: LED headlight upgrade completed