Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing LCD tv in my S2

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 02:03 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, I'm not at anyones throat (and don't feel like anyone's at mine). Feels more like a spirited debate to me ~ enforced by the fact that theres no namecalling.

Everyone here agrees that driving requires attention, we just disagree on what distractions are acceptable. And I'd like to see the finished product too ~ I'm a fan of quality work and appreciate the effort/inginuity required to do some of the things installers are doing these days. You should go further with your idea though ~ use a PC to run the DVD/MP3/AVI files and add a video capture card then hook up 4 cameras (one looking reward, one forward, one at the dash and one wherever) so you can capture your driving experience and share it with the rest of us.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:51 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally posted by Brian McCoy
I'm a fan of quality work and appreciate the effort/inginuity required to do some of the things installers are doing these days. You should go further with your idea though ~ use a PC to run the DVD/MP3/AVI files and add a video capture card then hook up 4 cameras (one looking reward, one forward, one at the dash and one wherever) so you can capture your driving experience and share it with the rest of us.
That's asking for trouble.. I could see some "editing on the fly" happening....

It was a good debate indeed.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:10 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

LOL yes its been fun!
Old 07-27-2003, 08:27 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Actually, the alarm is a Compustar 2 way alarm. The remote is also a built-in pager. Now the GPS module I haven't got yet, maybe real soon tho. I allows me to track my car wherever it is by calling in or online. It uses cellular network as well as GPS satellites.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:25 PM
TheMAXX
Instructor

FYI this is the law in Connecticut regarding a video display.

Sec. 14-105. Television screens prohibited. Video display instrumentation and closed video monitor for backing, permitted. No television screen or other device of a similar nature, except a video display unit utilized for instrumentation purposes or a closed video monitor for backing, provided such monitor screen is disabled blank whenever the transmission of a vehicle so equipped is shifted out of reverse, shall be installed or used in this state in any position or location in a motor vehicle where it may be visible to the driver or where it may in any other manner interfere with the safe operation and control of the vehicle. Violation of any provision of this section shall be an infraction.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:22 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 944S2NUT
...all I can say is I hope you sell your car to a caring person lke yourself.
sell my car? I don't think so! I love my "Purist" 924S...don't think I'll sell it.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:13 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

I've gotta agree with Brian McCoy. There are several distractions in the car and I don't feel the need to add others. The radio in my truck was stolen a couple of months ago and I haven't replaced it yet. It does get boring driving it at times but at least my eyes don't wonder down to it and at least my hears are open towards sirens or problems with the car. When reading Brian's posts, I am reminded of the bumper sticker "Look twice save a life, motorcycles are everywhere." I hope that when I get my motorcycle sometime in the near future, I don't become a statistic due to someone doing everything but driving. This having been said, I have no problem with S2nut installing the LCD screen for car shows, as long as it isn't playing a movie or distracting him in anyway while he is driving.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:19 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Meh, I've been hit seven times, and they were all without the aid of the other driver chatting on the cell phone and whatnot. Hell, the first five hits were before these things even became popular.

Personally, I think of the cell phone argument as a bit of a red herring. Since I've started paying attention, I've noticed that more often than not, the person who tried to drift into me (or almost rear ended me, or whatever) was not chatting on a cell phone. I'm inclined to think that I'm not the "exception". I think that people are simply more likely to remember almost being hit by someone on a cell phone because of all of the uproar over them.

I'm skeptical about the statistics that show how often cell phones cause accidents. There are very few instances where there is only one cause for an accident. Usually it is an unfortunate chain of events capped off by the proverbial "straw" where if one event didn't happen, the accident wouldn't have happened. If I was speeding down a rainy road on bald tires, talking on the cell phone, and someone drifted in front of me, causing me to swerve while driving over a deep puddle and I hydroplaned and wrecked, what caused that accident? There were many variables, and had one of them not occured, the accident might have been avoided. However, people will be quick to blame the cell phone and nothing else.

Cell phones, like so many other things we do in a car, are a distraction. And I'll agree that distractions aren't exactly good and it's best to minimize them. But distractions are also inevitable, and if you can't stay focused enough on driving in light of any distractions, then perhaps you shouldn't be driving at all.

Yes, I will occasionally talk on the phone while driving. I keep my calls short and to the point, and will generally wait to make an outgoing call. I have even been known to put the phone down during a tricky merge and whatnot. Even though I can dial/answer the phone without ever taking my eyes off the road, I try to minimize the time I'm on it because I don't like taking a hand off the wheel. I call it "being responsible and knowing my limits", although I'm sure others will disagree.

These are my thoughts on the issue, and I'm not really interested in getting involved in a flame war. But if anyone needs me, I'll be donning my asbestos underwear all the same...

BB.

Quick Reply: Installing LCD tv in my S2