Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing LCD tv in my S2

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003 | 03:12 PM
xcessiv
Instructor

So are you using a PC for an mp3 player?
Old 07-26-2003 | 03:43 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

me or perry? I am using my dvd player as the MP3 player it has visual display of the folder system on the on the LCD from the dvd.
Old 07-26-2003 | 05:10 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

cool Travis, I'd like to see it when it's done.. or even while it's being done..

I put the mp3 player in my car and even 200 songs can get boring after a while...
Old 07-26-2003 | 05:24 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry Nut...

Some advertising exec in his Mercedes plowed into a car, killing six people while talking on his cell phone. Happened about a year ago and he's still crying about how unfair the jury was to him! Someone needs to shoot him!

Not cool!

Jim 1987 944S
Old 07-26-2003 | 05:37 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Dorry worry about S2Nut, he drives too slow to be a danger anyways.. :P

/me runs for cover
Old 07-26-2003 | 06:03 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Who needs a GPS in a car? Are you planning to get lost?

Just another timewasting toy designed to distract people with too much money, imo. Get a grip on the wheel.
Old 07-26-2003 | 06:26 PM
Jamie944
Racer

I just put a dvd player in my wifes Sorento. I mounted it in the center console. The arm rest conceals a compartment in the lid so I mounted the screen there. Just lift up the lid and open up the console. then the back seat passengers have perfect view of the screen and a snack tray to boot. Mounted the dvd player in the console up right. It plays the dvd's, mp3's, cd's and can connect to another monitor or you can plug in your playstation to it. Put in an fm modulator so I get sound through the whole system. When the lid is closed up the entire system is stealth. know one can tell it's there unless you tell them. I took two days to install so it would look factory I didn't want to butcher and do a hack job on a $30,000 vehichle. Have to say I agree having it on long trips is very nice.
Old 07-26-2003 | 07:06 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Having it in something for passangers is fine ~ but NOT in the freaking front seat. There's no reason for a driver to be watching movies (which is what this sounds like it's for). Running through mp3 folders takes your attention off the road for WAY to long too ~ just put the damn things in 1 directory and hit shuffle. You want different styles of music, burn another CD (they're less than $.05 a disk ~ free if you find the deals) and just switch CDs.

Again, isn't the point of owning a Porsche the DRIVING EXPERIENCE??!!? Not the "Front seat, aftermarket multimedia experience". It's just wrong from all angles.
Old 07-26-2003 | 07:27 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

There's nothing wrong with it if you have the self restraint not to use it while driving. I always pull over to use my cell, or let it ring If I can't pull over.

It's like a gun, it's okay to have one as long as you don't go shooting people with it.
Old 07-26-2003 | 08:34 PM
afx
Racer

I was thinking about doing the same thing with my car. I wanted the LCD in the console area because I coulnd't really think of anywhere to put it.

What model DVD player and screen are you getting? That DVD seems like it would work perfect since it has the on screen display.

Perry 951: do you have any pic of the install in your friends 951?
Old 07-26-2003 | 10:05 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Originally posted by Rich Sandor
There's nothing wrong with it if you have the self restraint not to use it while driving. I always pull over to use my cell, or let it ring If I can't pull over.

It's like a gun, it's okay to have one as long as you don't go shooting people with it.
Once again Rich hits the nail on the head. Yes those whole complain about the LCD in the front seat are the ones we should worry about. I know I am no moronic enough to watch a movie while driving. It is for shows and the comfort of my passenger. Jeez peeps get a grip, I don't know maybe abit of jealousy floating out there. As for a cell phone I would prolly answer it anywhere, I can't stand a ringing phone GOTTA ANSWER IT!
Old 07-26-2003 | 10:16 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

even mid-coitus?
Old 07-26-2003 | 10:44 PM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

I am in the progress of putting a GPS in my car. My car never had Airbags, but I found an airbag steering wheel and dash from a 951. I am putting the GPS screen where the blow out window in the wheel is, and on the passenger side I'm thinking of putting an LCD in where that airbag panel was. Instead of tying it into an audio system, I'd like to have some fancy tuning software tied into sensors all over the car so I can monitor everything, fuel ratios, boost and oil preasures, engine and brake temps, etc... etc... Thats my dream anyway. OH, and a wireless card so if my car gets stollen it will send the GPS coordinates to me... and my friends.... with baseball bats.... and nasty hurtfull pain instruments of torture for people who try to steal cars....
Old 07-26-2003 | 11:07 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yea, I'm the kinda guy you gotta worry about. Take part in DE and AutoX when possible and rarely drive (always on a motorcycle). Don't even own a cell phone, so I can't answer that. Shoot, I won't even EAT while driving because it's called DRIVING.. not Eating while Driving. No jealousy here - I can have pretty much any techy toy known to man should I desire it and make the appropriate compromises just like anyone else out there.

Personally, I think LCDs/lighted sterios/DVD players/Game consoles and whatnot in a car are rice to the end and should come with manditory warning stickers. But this isn't about opinion. It's about the saftey of others that share the road with those who don't concentrate on what they should I've been run into a half dozen times by people who weren't paying attention without the distractions of an LCD w/ MP3 folders to scroll through, a cell phone or even coffee/food juggling.

I don't care if you're not planning on watching a movie while in motion. You DO plan on using it to view music folders ~ to view those you must take your eyes off the road. Just be wary that the time will come and you'll shove the car up someones tailpipe because the folder listing was more important that the road infront of you. I'm going to freaking rip the arms off the first moron who hits me and has a DVD player in the front seat/dash.

DRIVE the car already. If driving isn't exciting enough (especially in an S2), you're doing something Terribly wrong.
Old 07-26-2003 | 11:18 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Remember: Professionals built the 944.
Amateurs built the in-car theater.

Quick Reply: Installing LCD tv in my S2