Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strut identification

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 08:11 PM
jallen6
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strut identification

hi, I've had my 944 for a little while now and i'm trying to identify what my suspension setup is, it's an 86' NA. I tried the M-codes but these were all that were on the sticker (listed below), I then tried suncoast's decoder thinking maybe there wasn't room or something but they just gave me the same codes I already knew.

I'll link a couple pictures but I can't really get a good shot of them because I'm currently at college and don't have a good way to get under it. I apologize for the bad quality.

http://s34.photobucket.com/user/twitch944/library/944

I realize this is a bit to ask considering I cant get good pictures but based on the closeup of the black section of the rear strut I think they may be koni's im just not positive. The triangle logo is what's making me think this as well as what's left of the color scheme, but I've read that the koni's weren't that common on 86 NA's so I was hoping someone might be able to help out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Josh

288 F Headlight Washers
341 F Central Locking System
404 F Stabilizer Bars Front and Rear
425 F Rear Window Wiper
431 F 4-Spoke Sport Steering Wheel
454 F Cruise Control
650 F Electric Sliding Sunroof
946 F Partial Leather Seats Front
Old 02-01-2014, 08:18 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks like stock Sachs or Boge
Old 02-01-2014, 09:05 PM
jallen6
4th Gear

you're probably right, there were just little things I'd notice that were different when looking for comparisons online. I'm gonna try and find a sidewalk or something I can drive one side onto to give me a little room to look underneath and get a better view, I want to try and get a shot of a part number or something..
Old 02-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Uh...you own a 944 and you don't own a jack? Are you crazy
Old 02-01-2014, 09:46 PM
jallen6
4th Gear

haha nah I do, but I had to get as far under as I could just to get those pics. To get a good angle I'd have to go even more and I don't really trust those emergency jacks enough for that. At home I've got a shop jack and stands and all that but it's too far just to go home for that. I was considering just taking one of the wheels off and seeing if that gave me enough room to get a hand in there to take a video or something but that seemed like more effort than just using a sidewalk.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Kind of hard to tell from those pictures. Certainly the rears are yellow but if they're Koni's they'll definitely say Koni on there somewhere and either a Porsche part number or 8040-1035 Sport which is the number Koni uses. Your front struts take inserts, so tough to say what's in there until you pull it apart. Looks like you're due for some new ones no matter what ;-)

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 02-04-2014, 08:00 PM
jallen6
4th Gear

Yea, I intend to replace them when I can. The main reason I was wondering is because I know one of the previous owners put in a decent amount of work, and while some things had receipts some didn't so I'm just curious as to what other things might have been done. there's also a couple things on the receipts I've yet to decipher so I'm trying to figure all these things out. For example I've got a receipt for a k&n filter (I replaced this) but no receipt for the weltmeister throttle cam that was on it. and I've got a receipt for centric rear brake calipers @ 45 bucks each but then a single charge for $314 and in the part number place it says 999sp, no clue what that is, although it does have a note saying it's a special order.

so I'm just trying to figure out everything I can too see if there's other things that I missed at first like the throttle cam, then looking at related parts even if there weren't receipts just to see whats up.

Quick Reply: strut identification