Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel rail removal & injector rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Taymar
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fuel rail removal & injector rebuild questions

I could use some help with a couple of questions please. Is it possible to remove the fuel rail and just tuck it back towards the passenger fender with the fuel lines still attached, or do they have to come off?

I'm also going to be sending the injectors out for a rebuild. The three companies I know of are Marren, RC, and I've also seen Witch Hunter mentioned here. Is there much to choose between them in terms of service or expertise with the injectors used on these Porsches?
Old 01-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Sterlingx2011
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was working on my fuel rail last night. You can get it off without disconnecting the fuel lines but it is a heck of a lot easier to do it with them off. Especially if you are doing it to pull out the injectors.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:01 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used witchhunter.com. I was pleased with the results. I had a leaky one and had to replace it. I don't remember completely removing my fuel rail, but it was a long time ago. If you find out you need to replace one of your injectors, let me know. I have 2 bosch injectors that are back from cleaning by witchhunter for a 944 NA that I will sell for $25 + shipping each.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:24 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

the fuel lines can stay attached during removal. i would remove the retaining clips on the injectors and then let everything release where it wants. i just got my injectors back from witchhunter - turnaround and service were very good.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:09 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 345 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky944TurboNewbie
I used witchhunter.com. I was pleased with the results. I had a leaky one and had to replace it. I don't remember completely removing my fuel rail, but it was a long time ago. If you find out you need to replace one of your injectors, let me know. I have 2 bosch injectors that are back from cleaning by witchhunter for a 944 NA that I will sell for $25 + shipping each.

Did witchhuner.com provided a flow vs pressure chart for each injector?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 01-25-2014, 12:05 PM
Taymar
Racer

It looks like they do, I dug through their site and found this sample: http://www.witchhunter.com/testresults.php.

I got the fuel rail off but my fuel line to the pressure regulator was crimped not bolted, so I couldn't remove the line. I am hoping I can get it all installed back in place while still attached.

thanks for the help guys
Old 01-25-2014, 12:22 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I used mr injector for cleaning and flow matching. Their price is better and service was great. They send a chart back with the injectors showing before and after. No one seems to know about mr injector, but it might be better than witchhunter. Made my car rymun much better, and they sent them back fast with all new seals and caps. And they even painted them!
Old 01-25-2014, 12:25 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I unbolted the fuel rail. Pulled it back toward the fender. Unhooked the injectors and drove them across town to be rebuilt. www.okinjectors.com Same day turn around with before and after testing.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:02 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I pulled the fuel rail back but didn't disconnect it from the fuel lines. My injectors were unclipped, removed and sent to Witchunter (sp) and they documented the before and after info. They did a great job on the rebuild and a quick turn-around. Lightly lube the rubber O'rings before you reinsert them so they'll go in properly.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:38 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have 20+ y/o injectors, personally, I would skip the "rebuild" and just buy new. For $50 more than the cost of the rebuild, you can score some new ones on ebay. I had some stumbling throughout all throttle positions and suspecting injectors, I sent them out for servicing. After coming back with a clean bill of health, I had the same stumbling, missing leading me to a week of additional diagnostics. On a hunch, I tapped on the injectors one at a time and when I came to the offending injector, the idle surged then ran perfectly. Was a sticking, worn injector the whole time. Bottom line, if you are having injector problems, pony up and buy new. If you just want preventative maintenance, then send them for a cleaning.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:00 PM
Taymar
Racer

Does Witch Hunter paint them? I see that they bead blast the old paint/rust off but it doesn't say whether they give them new paint before sending back.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:00 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Lizard944
For $50 more than the cost of the rebuild, you can score some new ones on ebay.
Not for a turbo... Besides, cleaned and matched injectors are better than new ones because new ones are not necessarily flow matched.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:52 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bonus12
Not for a turbo... Besides, cleaned and matched injectors are better than new ones because new ones are not necessarily flow matched.
There is no such thing as "flow matching" individual injectors. Flow matching is done by comparing the output from a large quantity of injectors. There is nothing that is adjustable on a single injector to increase or decrease the flow rate. What you get with a "rebuild," is new filter baskets, new O rings, new hats, and blasted through with high pressure solvent, along with bead-blasting the housing to make it look new. You still will have worn pintles and internal components which was my case. If you are having drivability issues and suspect an injector, then test the exhaust manifold cylinder temps with an infrared thermometer. The one running significantly colder is your problem injector. Replace it or all of them.

Quick Reply: fuel rail removal & injector rebuild questions