Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF for Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 05:42 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF for Power Steering

Anyone using Mobil 1 ATF for Power Steering? I know several people talk about synthetic PS fluid.

1. Do you have to remove all traces of the dino ATF before switching? Is is OK to mix the dino and synthetic?

2. How did you remove all traces of the dino ATF before switching if required?

Thanks!

Off to work on electricals now....
Old 07-23-2003, 05:44 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want to use Porsche synthetic power steering fluid, I forget the name. It starts with a P...Pentosin maybe?

ATF will swell the lines and cause leaks says my mech.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:48 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

in the manual it says use ATF dexron. doesn't say anything about using synthetic. is the manual wrong? or is atf just not the best solution?
Old 07-23-2003, 05:52 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Andrew, I'm switching over to all synthetics in the car except for brake fluid. Very pleased with Mobil 1 15W50 engine oil. want to swtich to the Mobil1 ATF (says it is a direct replacement for Dexron III), and as soon as my 17MM hex socket shows up in a day or 2, the transaxle gets a fill with Redline MT90 synthetic.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't see a reason not to use it. Just remember that the synthetic may swell any suspect seals and may cause a leak.

I use Redline Synthetic ATF in mine and have had no problems - used it since my rack rebuild about 3 years ago.

BTW, I'm investigating Whistler... *may* be able to make it.

Good Luck!
Old 07-23-2003, 11:52 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Skip
I can't see a reason not to use it. Just remember that the synthetic may swell any suspect seals and may cause a leak.

I use Redline Synthetic ATF in mine and have had no problems - used it since my rack rebuild about 3 years ago.

BTW, I'm investigating Whistler... *may* be able to make it.

Good Luck!
Thanks Skip! From what I see on the forum, looks like the way to purge the old dino short of dissassembling the rack is to siphon out the olf ATF from the reservoir and add the new, then drive for a while, and repeat the remove / refill. I can't see any problem in mixing the dino ATF and Synthetic from anything I've read, so maybe I'll just do t he mix and siphon routine. No leaks, so guess I'll take the plunge and chance it!

GREAT news on Whistler! If you've never attended, it's a blast. Great people, terrific venue, and lots of P Cars.

Let me know if you are attending - rather than the banquet, we're thinking of a BBQ for 924/944/951/968 people on Saturday night. I've had enough $44 rubber chicken for a lifetime! You're welcome to come to the BBQ of course, since I just know that you'll be bringing the Paragon goody bags again.

BTW, I need sunroof gears for BOTH the 944NA and 951S! They both blew out this week! Must be the heat.

Last edited by Randy_J; 07-24-2003 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:25 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Disconnect the lower hose from the pump and work the steering back and forth with the engine running. That works pretty well - make s good sized mess too. Don't do it for long or risk damaging the pump.

Been to Whistler a few times - only once for the PCA thing. Should know next week sometime. Yeah, I could certainly skip the rubber chicken... I'm more of a burgers and brats type.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:35 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Hey Skip, no messy spray'in for me! I got me one of these Austin Power models for pump'in

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF for Power Steering