Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would I be a sellout for getting a swapped 944?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 03:09 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

short of a broken timing belt, or the belts and H20 pump being way overdue...

short of **** leaking all over the place, bad tie rods/ends/ball joints/bushings/brakes etc....

but, speaking specifically about the engine bay,

what exactly constitutes proof of a car being neglected??

and if a car does need the belts and pump done, is this a deal-breaker???

I hear this **** all the time but I think there's more to it.

the cars sit....

stuff gets cracked and crusty.... what?

is the poor owner struggling to pay his rent, school loans and put food on the table
for his wife and kid supposed to swap out half the engine bay every three years?

because that's just about how long it takes....

what if the 7th owner is well on the way to getting the car sorted...
and only drives it 14 k miles before the clutch fails and he doesn't have the cash to fix it??

so it sits awhile and finally, he decides it would be better just to let the next owner deal with it.....

is this car now officially designated as number xxxx neglected car?

I think this whole neglected car talk is bull****....

Jesus Christ; these cars are epic maintenance pigs.

and the neglected moniker is way overdone by Porsche's junk car swap meet cult apologists.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:25 PM
travisgreen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
short of a broken timing belt, or being way overdue... short of **** leaking all over the place, bad tie rods/ends/ball joints/brakes etc.... speaking specifically about the engine bay, what exactly constitutes proof of a car being neglected?? I hear this **** all the time and I think it's bull****. the cars sit.... stuff gets cracked and crusty.... what? is the poor owner struggling to pay his rent, school loans and put food on the table for his wife and kid supposed to swap out half the engine bay every three years? because that's just about how long it takes.... what if the 7th owner only drives it 14 k miles before the clutch fails and he doesn't have the cash to fix it.... so it sits awhile and finally, he decides it would be better just to let the next owner deal with it..... is this car now officially designated as number xxxx neglected car? I think this whole neglected car talk is bull****.... these cars are epic maintenance pigs. and the neglected moniker is way overused by Porsche's junk car swap meet cult apologists.
Neglect, some of these cars are 30 years old, if someone let them sitting in the weather for 5 years and then got it "running" just good enough to sell.
Neglect, not fixing things when they need fixed
Neglect, fixing things when they need fixed by jerry rigging them
Neglect, thinking you know how to change timing belts but don't do it properly
Neglect, telling the buyer of your car the belts and pump were done 5k ago when u know damn well they weren't

Neglect is used as a broad word for a lot of different things

These cars are old, stop comparing them to a brand new corvette, let's compare your v8s like apples to apples, like a corvette from the 80s. You will be real quick to find a lot of the same problems of what people call neglect.

People here love these cars and the engineering that went into them, it seems you may have spent so much money on yours that y have become resentful and angry at it, sell it, take the pennies on the dollar you can get back and for god sales start saving for a corvette. And when you buy it, love it
Old 01-05-2014, 04:41 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

poor owner
Porsches are not for poor owners. There is a lot of car brands for poor owners, porsche is not one of them.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:13 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by travisgreen

it seems you may have spent so much money on yours that y have become resentful and angry at it....

actually,

I was resentful about my 968 being a soon-to-be money pit a few years before it became a money pit.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:22 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
With great patience and doing my own fabrication/figuring for the "big stuff", along with plenty of junkyard scavenging trips and help/parts from Rogue_Ant/blown 944, I should be finished with my supercharger at under $2k, all-in.
I hope it works. For street use mine would have been fine, it just could not stand up to the rigors of racing (sustained RPM's).
Old 01-05-2014, 07:00 PM
travisgreen
Pro

actually, I was resentful about my 968 being a soon-to-be money pit a few years before it became a money pit.
I could have sworn it was you in another threat saying you had 36k in maintenance etc over the years..... Infact I know it was you, just not sure if it was 36k or if it was more. That's 2/3 of the way to a corvette that you decided to dump into a 10k car, You can't get mad at the car for that one....
Old 01-05-2014, 09:55 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

that number is an estimate based on what's been done

and what should be done at the current time

then projected out to 250~280 k miles of driving the car.

but i'll stand by that number as being reasonably close to the best - until I can no longer get out of bed.

I think it's funny that so many people reference the Vettes.

I like Vettes. I like the new ones too.

but I drive a 968 with proper 993 fenders.

a guy came up to me at the Glen about a week after I got the car painted.....

and he says to me, "You have a 968 that looks like a 993."

even my woman has never said such a beautiful thing.

I said to him back... "Do you mean..... are you trying to say I have a 968 that looks like a Porsche??"

"Yes, it does. it looks more like a Porsche."

urban dictionary has 2 entries for the 968.

this is the longstanding original entry (now in the #2 position)

Definition: Garbage that should be set on fire.

What a huge waste of money for a car that doesn't even look like a Porsche.

Then, have fun paying to repair the f_cking piece of ****. In no time you'll have paid more in repairs than how much you actually paid for the car which is way too overpriced.
Its not even that fast...its f_cking ****ty when you race a car that cost less than half of yours and they beat you.
Cruise control works when it wants to....
Leaks **** all the time.
So lets re-cap: Expensive, ugly, really ugly, unreliable...

How do I know all this? I USED TO HAVE ONE! WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE...

F_CK YOU PORSCHE 968 PILE OF ****

And to anyone who loves this car...What the hell...seriously. What is wrong with you..

"Some say Porsche's are not built to perfection"...because THEY AREN'T. The Porsche 968 SUCKS

Jeeze that's mean. even I wouldn't give a review so scathing.

Last edited by odurandina; 01-05-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:21 PM
travisgreen
Pro

that number is an estimate based on what's been done and what should be done at the current time then projected out to 250~280 k miles of driving the car. but i'll stand by that number as being reasonably close to the best - until I can no longer get out of bed. I think it's funny that so many people reference the Vettes. I like Vettes. I like the new ones too. but I drive a 968 with proper 993 fenders. a guy came up to me at the Glen about a week after I got the car painted..... and he says to me, "You have a 968 that looks like a 993." even my woman has never said such a beautiful thing. I said to him back... "Do you mean..... are you trying to say I have a 968 that looks like a Porsche??" "Yes, it does look more like a Porsche." urban dictionary has 2 entries for the 968. this is the longstanding original entry (now in the #2 position) .

Oh **** well if the urban dictionary says so..lol... Why do I get the feeling I know who made that entry. Love what you drive but Jesus stop bashing everyone who wants the original or modified engine, it's a porsche, it looks like a porsche for the reason it is one. If you hate the engine then swap it or get a new car, you don't you just keep talking **** on anyone that keeps their original engine but YOU STILL have a 3.0 in yours. If after you finally if ever get around to your swap that's great I'll be happy for you, but enough with the bs and bad mouthing the things others take pride in, and even more importantly, what this forum is mostly about. I mean no disrespect personally, just had enough of every time I do a search for info I have to run into jiberish, and off topic nonsense about you saying how much of a piece of **** everyone engines are.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:38 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

I didn't write it but I sure had a chuckle.

btw, a lot of 944 guys hate the 968s.

in any case, I'm suspect that that person wasn't much of a real Porsche guy (understating).

maybe a rich man's spoiled kid given the responsibility of keeping the car serviced.

it was definitely made during the dispensation of Gen-1 968 owners or in the transition just shortly after.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:56 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

You say you have only started 2 944v8 threads and that may be true...but you are leaving out the hundreds (thousands?) of negative rant posts you throw in every. single. other. thread I read / come across. For the record I like the v8 944s (and have driven one on track - awesome), just don't need to read about how great the motor is and how bad ours is everyday. It gets old.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:37 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
You say you have only started 2 944v8 threads and that may be true...but you are leaving out the hundreds (thousands?) of negative rant posts you throw in every. single. other. thread I read / come across. For the record I like the v8 944s (and have driven one on track - awesome), just don't need to read about how great the motor is and how bad ours is everyday. It gets old.
Amen. The constant ****ting on threads with "Swap a V8 in" gets old. Some people will swap, some won't. Certain people need to learn to cope with the fact that some people don't want to do an engine swap and stop thread crapping.

Its especially odd when some of those same people then complain about the forum not being what they expect/that they don't like the content on it
Old 01-06-2014, 05:57 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

and he says to me, "You have a 968 that looks like a 993."

I said to him back... "Do you mean..... are you trying to say I have a 968 that looks like a Porsche??"

"Yes, it does. it looks more like a Porsche."
This is the most pathetic thing I have read on the internets in 2014.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Allen, you know what your biggest problem is, you don't know when to stop.

You talk all this v8 talk, which has been heard for yrs. Where is this V8? Please don't respond back with excuses. Until you have one, you have no right to **** down on 951 and 968's.

Once you do, pick a time and place. Would love to run against you in my turbo. Until then, ...
Old 01-06-2014, 09:48 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Actually, when I think about it, it's scary to imagine what it would be like IF and when you do get this so called V8.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Consider it along these lines (don't know if this will translate into European), but...

And if/when I blow this engine I am very much planning on one of the hybrid strokers (Chevy/Mitsubishi parts in 944 block), unless a big V8 falls into my lap.
It translates just ok

You do not bash all things 44. Your posts reflect your knowledge on the topic and that is the content I like in these boards. (Tech stuff shared by some users here is beyond awesome, our local forums can not compare.)

If you do swap to v8, your comments as well as comments from a lot of other v8ers are or will be still useful factual tech tips for 944 owners and will not bring everybody who likes original design down with pessimistic $hit and v8 pipe dreams. And that is a big difference.

Quick Reply: Would I be a sellout for getting a swapped 944?