Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Transaxle oils. Curious about the history

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Just one product, as far as I know. I get it from Lufteknic: http://www.lufteknic.com/Merchant2/m...ode=lubricants
Old 12-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Taymar
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Delvac is what my local shop was going to use in the car. But on the Mobil site it looks like it says not for LSD and not for use in GL4 applications. http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...0_80W-140.aspx

That page on Lufteknic does say it's not the same fluid as the stuff found in auto parts stores though, I wonder what the differences are?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Was just talking about diff fluid with a friend of mine today, I'm running M1 synth (not the Delvac, what I'm using has LS modifiers in it) in my LSD box and it's been great for over a year. Nice and quiet, shifts like butter and it goes into 1st easily from neutral at 20+ mph, which is a pretty good test I think.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:32 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
This is anecdotal, but I've been running the Mobil 1 Delvac for many years in 4 cars. 2 with LSD and 2 without; 3 of them track cars. I have not had an LSD problem... On my street car (996 with open diff) the Delvac greatly improved the shifting, especially while cold.
Van, I was just about to ask what you run in your two race cars. Thanks for your real world input.

That's very interesting to hear that you've not experienced any unusual/unwanted chatter/vibration from your LSDs running Delvac. I, also, have heard that Delvac is a wonderful product for non-LSD boxes for the same reasons you mention: improved shifting, especially in cold conditions.

Have you ever re-built/re-shimmed your LSDs? Is it possible the disc packs are worn and simply not locking to spec [40%?] under load? If that was the case, where a diff was not "inclined" to lock due to excessive wear, I could imagine that a fluid like Delvac [without LS additives] might not have as great an [unintended] affect.

Does that sound plausible?
Old 12-06-2013, 12:43 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Taymar
Delvac is what my local shop was going to use in the car. But on the Mobil site it looks like it says not for LSD and not for use in GL4 applications.
I saw that LSD disclamer, as well. But Van's track experience begs to differ...

That page on Lufteknic does say it's not the same fluid as the stuff found in auto parts stores though, I wonder what the differences are?
The stuff sold over the counter at various FLAPS is Mobil 1 LS 75W-90, which has additives/modifiers for LSD applications. That's what I'm using, and appears to be the same gear oil that Doug is using, with great success [see 2 posts up].
Old 12-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

I have never opened up my LSD transmissions to check on things... my old car, a Turbo S, ran great until I crashed it (used Delvac for 4-5 years). My new car car has a Guard LSD and I've been using Delvac for 2 years.

I need to order more, so I'll call Lufteknic and see what they say about LSD applications. But, my hunch is, if this is really the OEM fluid for 996 and 997 cup cars, they've thought of LSDs before.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:07 AM
Taymar
Racer

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
The stuff sold over the counter at various FLAPS is Mobil 1 LS 75W-90, which has additives/modifiers for LSD applications. That's what I'm using, and appears to be the same gear oil that Doug is using, with great success [see 2 posts up].
To make sure I understood this correctly - If I buy delvac in a quart bottle at an auto parts store, I'm actually getting Mobil 1 LS 75w90? Whereas if I buy Delvac from Lufteknic and get the larger container, I'm getting delvac?

(I can absolutely believe that's the case, just wanted to check I've understood correctly).

I don't suppose anyone here has done a used oil analysis on the transaxle fluid?

Thank you all for your continued input.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

I have been using Red Line in all my cars and extremely happy with the product. I don't think I'd ever use any other product.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Lufteknic's answer: for an aftermarket LSD, like my Guard, there is no problem with the Delvac. However, with a factory LSD, which has much less pre-load on the slip plates, they do recommend an LSD additive, otherwise you can get some chatter. But, if you don't need the additive, don't add it - it can reduce some of the other properties of the gear oil.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Taymar
Racer

Thanks for checking Van.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:46 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

To make sure I understood this correctly - If I buy delvac in a quart bottle at an auto parts store, I'm actually getting Mobil 1 LS 75w90? Whereas if I buy Delvac from Lufteknic and get the larger container, I'm getting delvac?
No.

I do not believe Delvac is sold over the counter in any FLAPS [someone correct me if I'm wrong]. You would have to purchase it through a speed shop [like Van does], in gallon containers, or from ExxonMobil, if that's even possible.

Most FLAPS sell quart bottles of Mobil LS 75W-90, labeled as such. This is the formulation with friction modifiers for LSD applications. As mentioned on the ExxonMobil webpage, the Delvac formulation does not contain these LS additives.

Quick Reply: 944 Transaxle oils. Curious about the history