Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a faster car, but a better car

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 04:40 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
I just got around to installing my na-tune yesterday.

World of difference. Truly impressive is all I can say. Runs smoother, changes gear faster, pulls harder at any throttle position.

Get one. I plan to dyno again next week to quantify the maf improvement.
This...my car is night and day better with the NA Tune MAF
Old 12-16-2013, 06:38 AM
max_boost951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coilovers!!... Maybe a bit harsh for everyday driving. 450# front. 650# rear w/ torsion bar delete.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:20 AM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by max_boost951
Coilovers!!... Maybe a bit harsh for everyday driving. 450# front. 650# rear w/ torsion bar delete.
This! I just deleted my torsion bars yesterday...I'm running 400 rear at the moment. I still need to do the front with coilovers, I'll be going 500F 600R. It's a weekend car so I can run on the stiff side
Old 12-18-2013, 06:55 AM
max_boost951
Racer

Originally Posted by admiralkhole
This! I just deleted my torsion bars yesterday...I'm running 400 rear at the moment. I still need to do the front with coilovers, I'll be going 500F 600R. It's a weekend car so I can run on the stiff side
I have ZERO suspension travel in the front. You hit a penny in the road and it feels like you've been swallowed by a man hole. I track my car so if you don't plan on auto cross/ track I would seriously reconsider how heavy of springs you choose to sport.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:00 AM
max_boost951
Racer

Although I couldn't be more happy when my rear torsion bars came up missing. Ride height adjustability is amazing without all the reindexing (over complicated math problem) bologna.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:00 AM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by max_boost951

I have ZERO suspension travel in the front. You hit a penny in the road and it feels like you've been swallowed by a man hole. I track my car so if you don't plan on auto cross/ track I would seriously reconsider how heavy of springs you choose to sport.
Thanks for the insight. I plan on attending autox/ track events on the regular, but still will drive my car on the street (only during the weekends) and to the events. I did run torsion bars with my coilovers for a short while and the rear was incredibly stiff but it was something I didn't mind. Would you recommend I go 500R 400F as a slight compromise? I also have a 20mm rear sway and a hollow 25.5 up front, I'm going bigger in the front as soon as a good deal pops up on a 30mm bar...I get some crazy oversteer as it is!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:07 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, no one has mentioned it, but how about working a/c. Sure it is nice to delete the complexity, free up some room in the engine bay, and reduce some weight, but nothing improves the driving experience more than being comfortable while driving. Sitting on the highway in stop and go with no a/c will take the fun out of driving a classic sports car quicker than you think. I actually enjoy driving the car more often, instead of looking at it in the garage, and saying "naw its tooo hot, I'll drive my other car"
Old 12-18-2013, 10:26 AM
100mileperhour
Track Day

Originally Posted by ZR8ED
You know, no one has mentioned it, but how about working a/c. Sure it is nice to delete the complexity, free up some room in the engine bay, and reduce some weight, but nothing improves the driving experience more than being comfortable while driving. Sitting on the highway in stop and go with no a/c will take the fun out of driving a classic sports car quicker than you think. I actually enjoy driving the car more often, instead of looking at it in the garage, and saying "naw its tooo hot, I'll drive my other car"
I think the same thing too! Sounds like a good idea at first, but it's sure nice to have all the functions of a car working. I don't about the rest of you, but nothing annoys me more than turning on a switch or turn a **** and it doesn't work.

Now, I'm in the process of deleting my power steering. I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but something probably not missed, especially for me, since I live out in the country. Not like I'm gonna be parallel parking.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:33 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
i got one off the shelf at o'reilly, it is a bit wider than the factory mirror. big enough to see the entire width of the hatch glass, dont really need side mirrors anymore
Sounds like you are doing what 90+% of drivers do. They set up their mirrors wrong.

If you can see any part of the side of your car with your side mirrors, you're doing it wrong.

Look at the field of view of your inside mirror. The outside edge of that field of view should be the inside edge of the field of view of your side mirrors. The field of view of your inside and outside mirrors should overlap just a tiny bit.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Power steering and a/c is for girls.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:30 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

So are 4 cylinder engines

Sorry I had to, just pulling your chain.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:08 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
Power steering and a/c is for girls.
Come spend a couple days driving around in 118F/48C heat and tell me AC is for girls.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:14 AM
max_boost951
Racer

Originally Posted by admiralkhole
Thanks for the insight. I plan on attending autox/ track events on the regular, but still will drive my car on the street (only during the weekends) and to the events. I did run torsion bars with my coilovers for a short while and the rear was incredibly stiff but it was something I didn't mind. Would you recommend I go 500R 400F as a slight compromise? I also have a 20mm rear sway and a hollow 25.5 up front, I'm going bigger in the front as soon as a good deal pops up on a 30mm bar...I get some crazy oversteer as it is!
It all depends on what type of coilover you have. Like I said my front suspension droop/travel is next to none. So that has a huge impact on ride quality. The back with 650# is comfortable. I have stock sway bars to help with under steer. Street cars are suppose to be softer spring and big sway bars so you have good ride quality and great handling. Race cars are suppose to have heavy springs and smaller sway bars to help deal with wheel lift. f450/r650 springs are considered a mediums-stiff
Old 12-19-2013, 08:06 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR8ED
You know, no one has mentioned it, but how about working a/c.
Working a/c? What's that?!
Old 12-19-2013, 10:15 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by azbanks
Sounds like you are doing what 90+% of drivers do. They set up their mirrors wrong.

If you can see any part of the side of your car with your side mirrors, you're doing it wrong.
you're probably right, but for a long time i tried to align the mirrors in the manner suggested, but honestly, the passenger flag mirror...i can't see %&*t with it no matter where it goes. DS mirror works fine but something about my seating position or my mirror or the swamp gas reflecting the light of venus makes that other one useless.

Quick Reply: Not a faster car, but a better car