Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog lights and headlights exclusive operation modification

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 10:15 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Fog lights and headlights exclusive operation modification

Has anyone ever made it so the fog lights could be operated independently from the headlights?

I did this when I owned an '88 Toyota Supra Turbo, which also had pop-up headlights. Funny thing is if you search "1988 supra turbo" in google images, mine is the first one to come up, the black one. It was really cool to drive with the lights down and the fogs on at the same time.

Another good thing was driving with fogs and brights at the same time, which the 944 doesn't do (at least US cars don't). But you can use the brights flash feature on our cars to see how much more light is on the road with fogs and brights at the same time. It would be much safer to have both work.

So, I would really like to look into the possibility of doing this on my 944. Does anyone have experience with this or ideas on how this could be done? Is there any reason why it shouldn't be done? It seems reversible.

As winter comes, days are shorter and there is more night driving. Hopefully others are interested in this, and thanks for any input!

-bonus
Old 11-18-2013, 10:20 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I'm confused. But if you turn the headlight **** to position 1 for parking lights, then flip the fog light switch, the fog lights should come on and your headlights stay down...
Old 11-18-2013, 10:30 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Your right, that is true. The benefit is brights with fogs.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:36 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

The fog lights CAN be operated independently.

I drive around at dusk with just my fog lights.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:46 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

You need to get yourself a set of the 968 fog/driving combo lights. When the fog light switch is on, you get fog light beams with the low beams (or just parking lights) and when you switch to high beams, you get the projector lens driving light beam.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:38 PM
mikec944
Instructor

As far as the high beams and fog lights together, I asked the same question in 2004.

Here is the link:
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-together.html

It worked great and I still have it wired this way.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:58 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Thanks a lot, Mike! I think this is just what I'm looking for. Awesome!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:49 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A set of Euro fog/driving lights will give you the driving lights with your headlight high beams. It will require a some easy wiring of the driving lights though. The big downside is the cost of the Euro fog/driving light housings. They are well over $500 new.

However, a solution is possible. On the US housing, the driving light section only has a reflector installed. A few enterprising folks have adapted the housing so that a bulb housing can be installed. Do a search, I think there may be an old thread on how to do the conversion.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:47 PM
StickShift
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone explain to me exactly why you would want your foglights on with the brights? If it is foggy, and you have your foglights on, you can see the road, but if you turn your brights on, you defeat being able to see, as you will just illuminate the fog.

If it is dark, and you are the only car on the road, and have your brights on, why do you need the fogs? I don't understand.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:23 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

I have my lights wired up so that the foglights come on automatically with headlight position 1 (marker light position), and then I added the "euro driving lights" which are controlled with the OEM fog light switch. That way I can drive around at night without using the pop-ups and still have pretty good visibility.

So I can run either:
All off
Markers + 55w fogs (dim light driving)
Markers + 55w fogs + 100w driving lights (normal night driving)
Markers + 55w fogs + 100w driving lights + 55/100w popups (for the darkest of mountain forest roads)

Make sure your battery/alternator are in good shape before doing this. In the last option above, just the "white" lights are using 35 amps all together, or 43 if high-beams on.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:07 PM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by StickShift
Can someone explain to me exactly why you would want your foglights on with the brights? If it is foggy, and you have your foglights on, you can see the road, but if you turn your brights on, you defeat being able to see, as you will just illuminate the fog.

If it is dark, and you are the only car on the road, and have your brights on, why do you need the fogs? I don't understand.
It's not that guys want to run their fog lights and brights in fog. What folks are after is better night vision with more light with their bright lights. Why, the 944 and Porsches in general have notoriously poor headlights.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:29 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

V2, that sounds great. I might have to do that someday. Options are king! Brighter and safer.

I'm a little pissed because it's raining here, and i was in the middle of trying to fix my p/s leak with rescue tape and hose clamps, in my driveway. Maybe today I'll get around to doing mikec944's suggestion because you can just bring the relay indoors.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:10 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by bonus12
Another good thing was driving with fogs and brights at the same time, which the 944 doesn't do (at least US cars don't). But you can use the brights flash feature on our cars to see how much more light is on the road with fogs and brights at the same time. It would be much safer to have both work.
Just re-read this, your fogs don't work with your high-beams on? Mine did when I had the NA front end.

What you can do is unhook the foglights from the standard plugs and then daisy-chain their power/ground off the marker lights. That way they turn on when the markers are on, and the pop-up high beams are still operational.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:16 PM
StickShift
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by catamount
It's not that guys want to run their fog lights and brights in fog. What folks are after is better night vision with more light with their bright lights. Why, the 944 and Porsches in general have notoriously poor headlights.
Strange. I have never had any light output issues with my headlights in the time I have owner my car, nor any of the other 944/968s I have worked with.

Seems you want running lights, do the Euro foglight mod that has the correct cutoffs otherwise it just seems like a douchey ricer mod. But then anyone running foglights when it isn't foggy is a douche anyway.

Just my .02!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:01 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

StickShift, it's not hard to understand that even though my headlights are pretty good, there is one simple thing: I can see better when the brights are accompanied by fog lights. No reason to get caught up on the name "fog." Aren't they called driving lights in Europe? They cast a foreground light on the road and periphery that doesn't interfere with other drivers. This is safer for me and others. My car is about 100% stock and a modified relay won't change this.

V2, mine automatically turn off when I switch to brights.

Quick Reply: Fog lights and headlights exclusive operation modification