Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Koni Yellows vs. Stock Boge/Sachs...Decision time!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 08:06 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Koni Yellows vs. Stock Boge/Sachs...Decision time!

Most people are telling me not to even bother getting the stock Boge shocks/struts, because they are junk. I should get Koni Yellow's, or Bilsteins (A mechanic said it would cost me $835 including 4-wheel alignment for the Koni's).

What I don't want is a stiff, track-like suspension that jolts me at every expansion joint, and rattles the dash appart. I figure the Koni Yellow's at their softest setting will be pretty firm still (from what I remember before the search function vanished).

I should also mention I am keeping the stock springs.

Anyone out there using Koni Yellow's for street use?? What should I do?

Thanks!

Last edited by AndyK; 07-18-2003 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:07 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for a ride in Zoltan's car

I say go for the koni yellows....
Old 07-18-2003, 08:13 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Remember Koni Yellows were stock as part of the sport suspension package.

Based on Paragon's Prices Koni shoudl run about $600 for a full set of 4. This leave $285 for algiment and install labor. No too bad.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:15 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Koni Yellows vs. Stock Boge/Sachs...Decision time!

Go for the Koni's or Bilstein's. I have Bilsteins and a friend of mine just put the Koni yellows all around. He did the inserts on the front struts, got everything from Jason at Paragon and he said its great! He went with 200# springs up front, I went with 220#.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:24 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Koni's will make a big difference in the way the car responds. They won't make the ride bad unless you install very stiff springs.
Go for the Koni's. That being said the stock Boge/Sach's aren't junk, heck the original ones on my old 85.5 with 108K were still good, they just don't compare to the Koni's.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:31 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

I have the yellows at all 4 corners on stock springs and torsion bars. Currently, they are at the "middle" setting and it is a very comfortable ride. It is firmer than stock, but by no means harsh. I will be going full stiff this weekend to see how it responds.

I have some off power oversteer. With the 968 M030 bars, should I go full stiff on the rear bar to help it a bit?
Old 07-18-2003, 08:40 AM
MadMax
Pro

I second Brian's statement. The koni's are NOT too harsh. They are firmer than the stock Sachs/bogey struts but with high mileage on stock parts + their age you probably aren't getting much dampening effect from them anyway. You will most likely see a HUGE improvement in your ride quality just by putting the new struts/shocks on your car.

Brian, if I understand you correctly...your car is pushing through turns off power? If that is what your car is doing then I would think stiffening the rear bar might help. Plus, it is so easy to do you might as well try it.

Max
Old 07-18-2003, 08:47 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Exact opposite... the *** end is loose off power. Front end sticks like glue, no push at all, but the rear seems to want to come around a bit on partial throttle or no throttle hard corners. Once it starts to go, a good smash on the loud pedal helps keep it planted, although sideways.

Once the boost goes up, I think it might get worse on the throttle transitions.

I'd rather have some oversteer, but it's a little "twitchy", and I know it's not at the limit yet.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:47 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Perry 951
I have the yellows at all 4 corners on stock springs and torsion bars. Currently, they are at the "middle" setting and it is a very comfortable ride. It is firmer than stock, but by no means harsh. I will be going full stiff this weekend to see how it responds.

I have some off power oversteer. With the 968 M030 bars, should I go full stiff on the rear bar to help it a bit?
Actually you are probably just right. A well balanced car will tend to oversteer some when the power is removed in a corner. This is good.

If you stiffen the front shocks only I bet the power off oversteer will reduced just a little if that makes you feel more comfortable. If it gets to harsh try to reduce the stiffness of the rear shocks a bit keep the front in the middle setting.

Going stiffer in the rear (with constant front) will increase you tendancy to oversteer.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:00 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

I priced konis last year. if i bought two here, and two there i would have saved $4 than if i bought the four from paragon.

to qoute/paraphrase Tom Pultz when i asked about my shocks being bad. "they were bad the day the car left the factory". night and day. i would have prefered bilsteins because i had them in my 77 celica GT liftback with addco sways and urethane bushings (back in '81).

the konis cost 545 from paragon, my mechanic charged me 200 to do the job, and was able to mark things so that the car did not need an alignment. while you are under there you may want to put the Sloane SSI ball joints in.

i have all four in the middle, and am very happy with the ride over our metropolitan streets. these florida and arizona guys dont know from potholes!
Old 07-18-2003, 09:00 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How do the Bilstein's compare to the Koni's? And, would the Bilsteins be inserts, or the whole shock/strut?

And you're right Tom! We KNOW potholes here!!
Old 07-18-2003, 09:02 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"Go for the Koni's or Bilstein's. I have Bilsteins and a friend of mine just put the Koni yellows all around. He did the inserts on the front struts, got everything from Jason at Paragon and he said its great! He went with 200# springs up front, I went with 220#.

What are the 200s like? I got some brand new ones with some Koni struts, but I'm wondering if they're heavy enough for DE days. The vast majority of my driving is on the street, so I don't want to screw up the comfort.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:03 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i also have the stock springs. i will look for the mini lesson i got from the past autox champ on springs.

if we stiffen the front, we should get bigger torsion bars to keep things even. with my lack of ocular depth perception, and your lack of desire to track, konis shuld do just fine. there is plenty of life left in your springs!
Old 07-18-2003, 09:03 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i dont think we can get bilsteins.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:10 AM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Ok, i have Koni yellows and #250's in front. Car is pretty stiff, but does not rattle much. I will turn the fronts to soft for the ride home to compare.

Our 86 944 has sachs fronts (with #250's) and koni sport rears w/ Turbo sways, and handles superb! The sachs are not trash, but tend to wear quicker than the Koni's and are not adjustable...so if you plan on autoXing in the future, the Koni sports are the way to go....Sachs also lack the same type of warranty...

Bilsteins apply to earlier 944s and all 924s(right?). A friend of mine swears by the Bilsteins for his 911 race car and street 924S. But, he loves stiff cars.

Quick Reply: Koni Yellows vs. Stock Boge/Sachs...Decision time!