Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting back into a 944

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 09:11 AM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a full coilover setup on my '83...shoot me a PM and I'll give you some details...It's pretty cheap and very effective!
Old 11-10-2013, 12:18 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Out of curiosity ... are you saying that the 83 944 is limited when it comes to coilover suspensions ? Reason i'm asking is because i just bought an 83 944 Spec race car and i was wondering if the rear TB was removable and if you can install a fully height adjustable suspension all around for corner balance purposes.

Forgive my ignorance at this point ... i'm a 911 guy

Cheers
Phil
last time I looked into this with my early car, you had to swap in later trailing arms and then you could do a coil suspension - problem is, with early cars the rear wheel bearings are a half hour job, with later arms it's a huge PITA

so, you win some, you loose some

buying late trailing arms, rebuild them fresh, then do the swap and conversion

then it gets so pricey, it was easier to do a few torsion bar adjustments

people managed to do it on the cheap, but I never got I to looking at that, since I got rid of the car
Old 11-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by roman944
yep, just going to be careful

how much difference is there between s2 and 951 as far as suspension and brakes go? they should be pretty much the same minus the motor right?
S2 has same suspension and brakes as an 88 951, S2 has ABS standard. I think the S2 has a stiffer roll bar than a 88 951. been a long time, not sure of hat nugget. blame it on old age.

Ive been poking around and the S2 prices today are just plain stupid high. I would like a fourth s2, but the value one gets with a E36 M3 keeps sending me back to the bmw classifieds. the asking prices for the 968 are even crazier.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:33 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Out of curiosity ... are you saying that the 83 944 is limited when it comes to coilover suspensions ? Reason i'm asking is because i just bought an 83 944 Spec race car and i was wondering if the rear TB was removable and if you can install a fully height adjustable suspension all around for corner balance purposes.

Forgive my ignorance at this point ... i'm a 911 guy

Cheers
Phil
If you are trying to keep the car in 944 Spec trim, read the rules, it will throw you out of class.

You can do some corner balance using the adjustment in the rear.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:03 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Brent,

I think SP2 allows for the removal of the rear torsion bars according to the rule book,either way i'll have all Winter to prepare the car as per the series rule.I'm used to doing my 911 with torsion bars so it won't be a problem regardless !

Cheers
Phil

2. SP2/Stock

Cars for this preparation level must meet the PCA Stock rules, modified as follows:

A. All Models – Allowed Modifications
1) Adjustable camber plates, aftermarket fuel rail and non-OEM DME chips in the stock DME are allowed with no weight penalty. DME must be located in one of the two factory stock locations or be fitted with a permanent cover to prevent adjustment of the fuel quality switch. The stock wiring harness must be used, and wiring, sensors or piggyback computers outside of the DME housing are not permitted.

2) Oil pans, pan baffles, scrapers, windage trays, oil pickups, lines, and filters are unrestricted. Oil and power steering hoses may be replaced with metal braided hose. A pressure accumulator (Accusump) is permitted. Dry sump systems are prohibited. The compression ratio may not exceed 10.6:1 for 2.5 liter engines and 10.9:1 for 2.7 liter engines.

3) 944 turbo connecting rods and cylinder heads are allowed for all models.

4) Non-stock mirrors are allowed and passenger side mirrors may be removed.

5) Torsion bars may be removed.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:12 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Spec is different than SP2

Just didn't want you to bump yourself out of class if you are trying to stay in Spec/SP1

Get some 85.5/86 944 trailing arms (aluminum/proper offset) and make sure to buy the Racers Edge bolts when you convert to coilover. Lots of stress going through that one suspension bolt.

Brent,

I think SP2 allows for the removal of the rear torsion bars according to the rule book,either way i'll have all Winter to prepare the car as per the series rule.I'm used to doing my 911 with torsion bars so it won't be a problem regardless !

Cheers
Phil

2. SP2/Stock

Cars for this preparation level must meet the PCA Stock rules, modified as follows:

A. All Models – Allowed Modifications
1) Adjustable camber plates, aftermarket fuel rail and non-OEM DME chips in the stock DME are allowed with no weight penalty. DME must be located in one of the two factory stock locations or be fitted with a permanent cover to prevent adjustment of the fuel quality switch. The stock wiring harness must be used, and wiring, sensors or piggyback computers outside of the DME housing are not permitted.

2) Oil pans, pan baffles, scrapers, windage trays, oil pickups, lines, and filters are unrestricted. Oil and power steering hoses may be replaced with metal braided hose. A pressure accumulator (Accusump) is permitted. Dry sump systems are prohibited. The compression ratio may not exceed 10.6:1 for 2.5 liter engines and 10.9:1 for 2.7 liter engines.

3) 944 turbo connecting rods and cylinder heads are allowed for all models.

4) Non-stock mirrors are allowed and passenger side mirrors may be removed.

5) Torsion bars may be removed.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Eric Buck
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

They are fun cars, unfortunately, I don't get to drive mine much, so I need to sell it. Here's my '88 turbo on Autotrader:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=2&Log=0

I had an ad on Rennlist, but I haven't been able to find it today.

I'm in DC, so not too far to come take a look. Let me know if you want to come drive it.

Eric
Old 11-11-2013, 03:34 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roman944
I'm looking back at getting into a 944

this time a little more hardcore

I want a 951 or a s2, with plans to go to an ls1

here's where I am at now http://www.stanceworks.com/2012/08/t...iys-jetta-gli/

love this car, lots of fun, but every time I drive it my hand is on the shifter, and then I remember I can't shift.

I miss the fun of 944, RWD, light weight car.

anyone knows of any for sale, or places to start looking? local craigslist yields nothing.

btw, I'm going to re-register and watch those classifieds
If you are cool with a drop top there is an S2 advertised in Springfield, VA for just $3900. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...183989751.html
Old 11-11-2013, 04:00 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

If you are planning on going v8...let me tell you, you want to start with bigger brakes, stiffer suspension and a turbo transmission with a stiffer mount than stock. I did a LT1 swap on my 87 N/A, and I need to upgrade brakes, suspension, and I've had multiple transmissions in it, only the most recent did I drop some decent money on a nice turbo trans as well as filling the stock trans mount with urethane.

Seriously...if you start with a turbo you will have a better radiator which you can use with the LS if you want to stay stock (I've been running the stock n/a radiator on my LT1 swap and I see consistent temps at 190 during the dead of summer...no problems, and my engine is not stock), better brakes on all 4 corners, better suspension, better transmission...it's just a better start. S2 is a good second, but you'll have a pretty short 5th and you'll probably end up swapping to a turbo box, or at least putting a taller 5th in the S2 box.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:39 PM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
If you are planning on going v8...let me tell you, you want to start with bigger brakes, stiffer suspension and a turbo transmission with a stiffer mount than stock. I did a LT1 swap on my 87 N/A, and I need to upgrade brakes, suspension, and I've had multiple transmissions in it, only the most recent did I drop some decent money on a nice turbo trans as well as filling the stock trans mount with urethane.

Seriously...if you start with a turbo you will have a better radiator which you can use with the LS if you want to stay stock (I've been running the stock n/a radiator on my LT1 swap and I see consistent temps at 190 during the dead of summer...no problems, and my engine is not stock), better brakes on all 4 corners, better suspension, better transmission...it's just a better start. S2 is a good second, but you'll have a pretty short 5th and you'll probably end up swapping to a turbo box, or at least putting a taller 5th in the S2 box.
exactly, lol

the only reason o go early n/a is lighter weight, but then everything needs to be upgraded, so ...

not sure how I'd feel about a cab, gorgeous cars tho

not worried about classes or anything, straight up fun car
Old 11-11-2013, 05:55 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Depending on what you go with on the engine you may actually end up around the same weight with an LS...if you start with a turbo, get rid of leather seats if you have them, go manual steering and drop the A/C then you'll be losing a lot of weight. On my swapper I don't have cruise control, power steering or power brakes, air conditioning, and I've removed the collapsible spare from the rear and carry a can of fix a flat...The car is pretty dang light, although I haven't weighed it. I also removed the rear seat and put a delete panel with a pair of 6X9 alpines and a 500 watt Alpine amp, and am running 2 10 inch polk audio subs in the spare tire well...so I've put some of that weight back on

Overall, I'd say starting with the best car you can will always be a good decision...but I personally wouldn't start with a beautiful turbo with a good running engine. Bide your time and watch for something with the engine pulled, or a car listed as a potential track car that has some upgrades to suspension and brakes done already, but needs an engine.

I personally would stay away from cabs, although they are GORGEOUS cars, and I would love to own one, if you plan on doing a V8 swap you will be disappointed with the rigidity of the cab in combination with the monsterous torque from the V8
Old 11-11-2013, 10:17 PM
roman944
Drifting

I'll be on a lookout for one with blown motor, that makes sense

in my '83 there was no interior, spare, a/c, even box under dash. it was very light, very fun
Old 11-30-2013, 06:57 AM
roman944
Drifting

my Jetta might sell tomorrow, if it does, I'm seriously in the market

Quick Reply: getting back into a 944