Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front control arms and clunking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 10:25 PM
will951
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
By "knocking when I brake", do you mean you hear a/one clunk when you brake, or you get a clunk, clunk, clunk? Does it happen all the time, or only under certain conditions? When you installed front dampers, did you replace the strut bushings? Could your springs be binding and then releasing under braking? How old are your castor blocks?
Sorry for the thread jack.....but I also have a clunk I can feel in my brake pedal, but seems to come from the front right as well. It is a clunk/ pop and can be one or multiple. Had it for years....hasn't changed a bit....
Old 10-28-2013, 04:59 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Will, how often do you hear/feel this clunk? Under what conditions? If you can feel the clunk in the brake pedal, I suspect that would be direct feedback, through your hydraulic system, from your pads/calipers/rotors.

Have you ever had your calipers rebuilt? Do your pads/pistons/calipers look normal? Are your rotors seated/mounted properly?
Old 10-28-2013, 03:56 PM
will951
Rennlist Member

Will, how often do you hear/feel this clunk? Under what conditions? If you can feel the clunk in the brake pedal, I suspect that would be direct feedback, through your hydraulic system, from your pads/calipers/rotors.

Have you ever had your calipers rebuilt? Do your pads/pistons/calipers look normal? Are your rotors seated/mounted properly?
Only at slow speeds or coming to a complete stop....at a light or stop sign. Never at high speed, never braking before a corner.

I purchased a set of big reds and rotors etc.....just haven't gotten around to installing them. I was going to look around while doing the brakes. Crossing my fingers.....it really drives me nuts. Not sure what else it would be. It's a very noticeable pop/clunk. Again.....has been there for years and hasn't gotten any worse.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:38 AM
PerceptionProblem
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured some stuff out today.

Jacked the car up to take a look, and shook the wheel (hands at 9 and 3) and watched what moved. Turns out the castor blocks were shifting way far.

.....the nuts were also on finger-tight. >.>

So we tightened them back down and lo and behold: no more clunking. Not at high or low speeds, and not when turning. (That wasn't a symptom before, but is good to know it still isn't. Lol)

The problem being fixed, we got bored and made a control arm brace. I'll post pics later this week. It's simple, and we've got more work to do, but for mark one, it's not bad.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:18 AM
Gawernator
Racer

Nice! I was halfway correct at least, bwaha
Old 10-29-2013, 04:08 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Kyle, happy to hear you resolved your issue. Well done.

Will, I recommend you

...re-check all interfaces/fasteners: control arms, castor blocks, sway bar hangars/end links, calipers, spindles, struts, and wheel bearings. And ditto the strut test.
What condition is your suspension in? Kyle was diagnosing his problem after a substantial refresh [rack, tie rods, ball joints, bearings, dampers, sway bar/control arm bushings].

Have you checked the simple things...loose battery, frozen strut, binding spring?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:17 PM
will951
Rennlist Member

Great to hear you found the source of the clunk! Always a good feeling take care of stuff like this....and at no cost!

Thanks for the advice Allen. The idea of a frozen strut has me intrigued. The car does feel like it sits stiff....and I will occasionally get a pop when pulling out of my barn at low speeds. Hmmmm......
Old 10-29-2013, 02:37 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the sway bar wacking something? I have that problem right now because the A/C compressor is wacking the swaybar since the stiffening brackets I got push it forward a little bit.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:56 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by will951
The idea of a frozen strut has me intrigued. The car does feel like it sits stiff....and I will occasionally get a pop when pulling out of my barn at low speeds. Hmmmm......
A friend recently adopted a '74 Carrera, which he felt was a bit stiff in front. One night, we were tinkering in his garage and...bam! Sounded like a garage door spring let go. We didn't see what happened, but, the sound came from the front of his car. After looking for things with the car on the ground, we cautiously lifted the car to peek underneath. It wasn't until we put the car back on the ground, and the right front corner of his car sat high, that we figured out his strut was freezing/binding.

We suspect the "bam" was the frozen strut, compressed from normal driving, releasing, due to internal shock pressure. The "garage door spring" sound effect was probably associated with the car's torsion bar suspension.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:02 PM
PerceptionProblem
Racer

Alright guys, I finally got to a proper computer and have uploaded a picture of this very bootleg brace we made: http://imgur.com/kAD4cvh

Any interest in getting one of your own if we can make it nicer/prettier? We might make them as a matched pair with a strut tower brace, and make it really affordable.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:53 PM
audi49
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by will951
Sorry for the thread jack.....but I also have a clunk I can feel in my brake pedal, but seems to come from the front right as well. It is a clunk/ pop and can be one or multiple. Had it for years....hasn't changed a bit....
I'm resurrecting this thread because I have a similar symptom on my '88 944. In my case it is also intermittent - not always there - which is kind of confusing. So if Will is still listening or anyone else have any ideas - please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by audi49
I'm resurrecting this thread because I have a similar symptom on my '88 944. In my case it is also intermittent - not always there - which is kind of confusing. So if Will is still listening or anyone else have any ideas - please let me know.

Thanks.
Thread resurrections don't always work so well, i would suggest a new post most of the time.

Rebuild your ball joints.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:23 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Audi, you haven't given us much to go on.

When did this start happening? Subsequent to any maintenance that was performed? Intermittent clunk...or intermittent clunk, clunk, clunk?

...re-check all interfaces/fasteners: control arms, castor blocks, sway bar hangars/end links, calipers, spindles, struts, and wheel bearings.
And while you're in the driveway investigating, lean on each fender and bounce the car? Do both sides/dampers respond in the same manner?

Quick Reply: Front control arms and clunking.