Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need sage advice on water pump install

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Need sage advice on water pump install

Ok I've done the belts before so I'm good in that department but I've never drained the coolant and replaced the water pump before.

Any tips anyone can give? I've got the cars front wheels on ramps and once I get to the draining of the system that's where I have some questions. For instance after I drain the radiator at the bottom how much coolant will come out when the pump comes off. Do I drain more from somewhere else? Clark's talks about a lower drain on the block but I'm not sure where that is.

Also what can I put on the gasket to assure a good seal? Would a thin layer of gasket maker smeared on both sides of the gasket be enough?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go, especially when I go to refill the system. I'm kinda dreading that.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:51 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Last Lemming
Ok I've done the belts before so I'm good in that department but I've never drained the coolant and replaced the water pump before.

Any tips anyone can give? I've got the cars front wheels on ramps and once I get to the draining of the system that's where I have some questions. For instance after I drain the radiator at the bottom how much coolant will come out when the pump comes off. Do I drain more from somewhere else? Clark's talks about a lower drain on the block but I'm not sure where that is.

Also what can I put on the gasket to assure a good seal? Would a thin layer of gasket maker smeared on both sides of the gasket be enough?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go, especially when I go to refill the system. I'm kinda dreading that.
FWIW, I have tried the thin layer of gasket maker on both sides and it leaked.

Long story short I went with no gasket and another type of gasket maker from Autozone, would have to look at the tube to remember the name. But it was some stuff some one here suggested.

I am sure you will get 100 different suggestions on what to use or not use however....since I did mine I have noticed Van state on his build videos he installs his WPs with a dry gasket only. That is how I will do my next one.

Good luck.

Michael
Old 10-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, I do mine dry, and haven't had a problem. But both surfaces have to be squeaky clean!

About 2 gallons of coolant comes out when you undo the little blue plug. If anything, I'd tilt the car nose down for draining the coolant - so the drain plug is at the lowest point.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:44 PM
jeffrsmith
Instructor

I used a very thin layer of Permatex Hylomar on both sides of the gasket for mine. No issues at all. Nice thing about Hylomar is that it does not harden, so next time you need to replace the pump you don't have to scrape, and scrape, and scrape ...... to get it clean enough to install a new one. Good stuff!
Old 10-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jeffrsmith
I used a very thin layer of Permatex Hylomar on both sides of the gasket for mine. No issues at all. Nice thing about Hylomar is that it does not harden, so next time you need to replace the pump you don't have to scrape, and scrape, and scrape ...... to get it clean enough to install a new one. Good stuff!
where do you pick up Permatex?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:17 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I to put on a dry gasket with no issues.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

I might have to go dry, because I cant find the special permatex in my town.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:05 PM
jeffrsmith
Instructor

You should be able to pick it up at Napa

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...249_0006382647
Old 10-10-2013, 09:43 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Info:

Green WP gaskets are pre treated with anti leak.

Black WP gaskets are dry and some use a sealer.

Name:  Waterpump gaskets.JPG
Views: 491
Size:  54.4 KB\\

J_AZ
Old 10-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by John_AZ
Info:

Green WP gaskets are pre treated with anti leak.

Black WP gaskets are dry and some use a sealer.
Interesting! I've always used green.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:56 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

be very careful about twisting off the very thin bolts that hold it in place - they can seize - they are a real pain to drill out when you break one - I think when I changed my water pump many years ago, I broke 2 of them. use kroil or other penetrant and try very hard to not break anything
Old 10-11-2013, 09:29 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
be very careful about twisting off the very thin bolts that hold it in place - they can seize - they are a real pain to drill out when you break one - I think when I changed my water pump many years ago, I broke 2 of them. use kroil or other penetrant and try very hard to not break anything
Good point. Replace if corroded or rusty.

Zims sells a WP bolt kit.
http://www.allzim.com/store/cart.php..._detail&p=1042

J_AZ
Old 10-11-2013, 09:46 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I don't didn't use the gasket just Copper RTV and 20k so far so good.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

+1 on this also.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Understood!!! I'm hoping I wont have any issues since the PO had the water pump changed 1500 miles ago. So hopefully seizing hasn't had time to take place. I have several penetrants I will spray on regardless.

Once the radiator is drained, when I pull the pump of the car should I expect a lot more coolant to come out?

Quick Reply: Need sage advice on water pump install