Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad sensor connections...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:24 AM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Brake pad sensor connections...

Greetings all...

One after another, the connection points for the harnesses are deteriorating and crumbling in my hand... wires fallout, it's ridiculous.

Non-abs car, for what it's worth... any harm in just yanking them all and doing some sort of loop to turn off the pad sensor light? I'm tired of looking at it...

Thanks...
Old 09-30-2013, 03:25 PM
StickShift
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those sensors have nothing to do with ABS, all they do is wear down with the pad and trigger the light to tell you to do a brake job, and spend a bunch of money on new senors.

That being said, I pulled the senors out of the pads and tied them out of the way. I just need to know I have to check the brakes every so often. Makes you wonder how people managed before stuff like this was added to cars!

You should be just fine looping them.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Funn944
Pro

Yep, just tie them out of the way.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:44 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks, will have to figure out if I can do something to turn the annoying dash light out though... have the schematics, but in hopes that someone has done this before, any thoughts?

Yes, knew that they didn't have anything to do with ABS -- just a reference point.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:10 PM
StickShift
Instructor

Just close the circuit at the connector plug at each wheel. That will turn out the light. If you have any of the sensors still, just cut the end off and solder the wires together.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:38 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the same issue. If you take the wires going to the sensor, near the round connector on the strut, and cut them with about 1" or more sticking out, then solder the two wires together, It'll kill the system. After you have done that, I recommend getting some liquid electrical tape at Home Depot and painting a liberal amount on each exposed wire to insulate and protect it.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:04 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm likely not explaining this well at all -- apologies there...

The housing/connector point that the pad sensor plugs into has crumbled into pieces... it's ridiculous...
Old 09-30-2013, 06:13 PM
StickShift
Instructor

I think I see what you are saying. The whole plastic housing is failing. Two thoughts.

1)Do you have the large yellow connectors by the strut towers? You could jump the two wires together there. In the rear, they are forward of the rear suspension.

2)Pull the two leads out of the crumbling housing and short them together.

Looking at the sensors, it is just a wire loop that is broken when worn down that triggers the light. Anyway you choose to close that loop will work, but you have to do it at all four corners.

The other thought would be to jump it at the dme, but I don't think I would go there.

If I am still missing the point, post a pic so we understand a bit better.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:27 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

StickShift, you are on it... the housings have crumbled. Not on the connectors on the struts, but behind the strut towers up front and below the the brakes in the rear... age caught up with these components. They literally just crumbled on touch.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:29 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a connector for the sensor harness at the top of the pass side fender, as I recall (too lazy to go look), just jumper it there. However for me personally, I like the sensors and would take the time to make it work again. you can use more modern connectors, you could go to ebay and get some 38999 connectors and they will outlast the car (just be sure to get both male and female)
Old 09-30-2013, 10:42 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
there is a connector for the sensor harness at the top of the pass side fender, as I recall (too lazy to go look), just jumper it there. However for me personally, I like the sensors and would take the time to make it work again. you can use more modern connectors, you could go to ebay and get some 38999 connectors and they will outlast the car (just be sure to get both male and female)
Appreciate the thoughts... This weekend I will have some time to check out the schematics as well...

Quick Reply: Brake pad sensor connections...