Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totally OT: Minivans: don't read if you don't want to

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 05:32 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Totally OT: Minivans: don't read if you don't want to

First, apologies for the OT nature of this but I respect people's automotive opinions here so I wanted to ask the following question.

I am totally fed up with my 99 Windstar and am thinking of replacing it. Stuff has been breaking on the thing about every 4 days on average. No kidding! Usually small stuff, but c'mon.

I need a van (unfortunately) but want something that's (a) crashworthy, and (b) dependable. Does anybody have a suggestion?

One possibility is a Kia Sedona. They're inexpensive (relatively) and seem well equipped. Does anybody have any experience with Kia products, even 2d hand? The van is a new model, it hasn't been crash tested yet, so I wouldn't be moving into one until after it's tested and comes up clean. But what are people's thoughts on the make? Also I get the impression the things have been sold in Great Britain for awhile, perhaps our friends in the Isles could share some information/ideas.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the OT nature of the post. Just thought that a group of experienced folks with excellent automotive taste would be a good resource, and ease my worried mind.

Thaddeus, shamefacedly breaking his vow not to go OT
Old 12-30-2001, 05:54 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 104 Likes on 77 Posts
If you're buying new, buy an oldsmobile. The van is the same as the chevy and pontiac, GM throws in a 5yr 60k warranty, and it drives nicely (for a minivan that is). And the technology is old, which for GM means the bugs are worked out.

We bought one for my dad for his 79th last year, and it hasn't been to the dealer for a repair since. Hasn't been to a car wash either for that matter, but that's the old man for ya.
Old 12-30-2001, 06:02 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Take a look at this:
http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_rat...html/96026.htm

Thaddeus
Old 12-30-2001, 06:12 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife drives a 2001 Chrysler Voyager. We had a problem with the A/C hose rubbing on another pulley, which cut through enough to dump the refridgerant after 3 days. That was when we first got it 9 months and 11600 miles ago, zero problems since. We went short wheelbase and the size is not a problem (ymmv), picked up my (4) snow tires yesterday from the storage place, and I just pulled a dishwasher out of it 10 minutes ago.
When we chose this model we also test drove the Windstar, I liked the Ford too, but my wife thought it was too "truck-like". She didn't want a Honda (she wouldn't have gotten one anyway ) because her sister has one. I can't stand sitting in the Honda for more than an hour or so, the seats are not as good as the Chrysler.
I'm not big on checking safety statistics, so I can't help you there. I don't have "normal" accidents, I only seem to have the kind they don't test for.
Old 12-30-2001, 06:58 PM
Cobbs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thaddeus,
I have heard some serious **** talk about Kia. Most of it has revolved around the "Sephia" but it wasn't good. IIRC it centered arround electrical problems.

I just checked Consumer Reports, they have no data on the the Sedona but they say bad things about all other models except the "Big" sedan which is just a rebadged Hyundai anyway.

Ok, so they recommend the Honda Odyssey.

Old 12-30-2001, 07:23 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

FWIW, the neighbor across the street has the current Toyota van (Sienna?). He, the wife, kid, and two dogs have taken several trips of 1,000+ miles in it. They love it, and have had zero problems.

Cost-wise, I think I'd buy _almost_ anything else used rather than a new KIA, but that's strictly opinion, not based on any real knowledge. I'm just recalling several friends who got burned buying Hyundai's when they'd been in the US about as long as KIA has now.

And speaking as an edge-of-Viet-Nam vet, the idiots coulda picked a better name for the US import....

Jim, first hike in while today...shin splints!!! AARRGGGHHH!!!
Old 12-30-2001, 07:39 PM
Tabor
Drifting

About Hyundai's Reliablity: My step-father used to be a car salesman and this is what he told me. When Hyundai first started selling cars in the US they were crap, so they got a really bad name. They redesigned them and now they are very reliable. However, everyone still thinks they are crap so they are priced nice and low, one of the best values around. YMMV.
Old 12-30-2001, 08:02 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by jim968:
<STRONG>
And speaking as an edge-of-Viet-Nam vet, the idiots coulda picked a better name for the US import....
!</STRONG>
Sorry, the reference went by me. Kia relates to VietNam in what way? Sorry for the stupid question, I am curious..

Thaddeus
Old 12-30-2001, 08:26 PM
Jma_1
Advanced

KIA: killed in action. Bad name indeed for a car.
I do not own a minivan but last year drove a Chrysler (rental) to Florida, in a week it went trough 2400 miles, very hot weather, one of the longest and worst summer storms I've ever driven through, 80+ sustained cruising, 2 very active teenagers plus two adults and lots of gear. All the while the AC kept us cool and the van never faltered in any way. I drove long stints without getting tired, I only wish the seats were firmer. If I were you I'd try to get one of those used, 1 or 2 years old. The van had 300 miles on the clock when I picked it up. Overall I was impressed, it did it's job very well.
Old 12-30-2001, 08:45 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

If your price range happens to be in the mid to upper 20's, there is no better minivan than the current Honda Odyssey.

It has double wishbone suspension, a 3.5 liter 2 cam vtec 24 valve engine with 240 hp, a 5 speed automatic, etc. Plus, the resale value will blow all the other vehicles out of the water. If you are concerned about buying American (you bought a Porsche, so how could this be), both the engine and the vehicle are manufactured in North America.

I admit, my dad manages a Honda dealership, Honda has paid my way to many CART events and a F1 event, but I am still unbiased!

'86 951
-Steve
Old 12-30-2001, 08:58 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I would recommend the Honda Odyssey. I had a 2000 with the electric doors and had several problems, Honda finally fixed the problem. I put close to 30K miles in less than a year. I now have a 2002 model with the DVD system. It is a very good minivan with all the gizmos to keep my daughter quiet while we travel. It now has disc brakes on all four wheels, 240hp , 5 speed automatic transmission, resale values are always good, etc. And Honda service (at least here in Orlando, FL) is excellent.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-30-2001, 11:13 PM
stupenal
Instructor

Well, as a kid who still goes on family trips with both my family and other families, I've sat in my fair share of minivans. Here's my take on the ones I've sat in for long trips.

1999 Dodge Caravan
It was totally decked out with nearly everything. Quiet ride, comfy seats, mucho air vents. Definitely a strong candidate.

1999 Honda Odyessey
Beautiful amount of cargo area and room for 7 people along with all our ski gear and food to feed an army. The ride was nice, and the car handled well in the curvy mountain roads. I definitely recommend this one.

1994 Nissan Quest
Not that bad of a car, good power and relatively reliable. Interior was not of such high quality, but overall a good car. My dad uses it as a daily beater and usually once a year, does 1000 plus mile trips in it with my mom. A solid car.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:35 AM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
I would think about the VW Eurovan, very nice, don't know about the price though.

The Odessy's are very nice also.

The Toyota Seinna is real nice too, but they are a pay to work on.

From working at a garage I have driving all of the choices out there.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:46 AM
Devildog2067
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
It's a direct phonetic transcription of the Korean word. Your other choice was probably something like ggeee-ah.

--
Semper Fi
Cpl SH Won
Wpns Co, 2nd Bn, 24th Marines
Old 12-31-2001, 12:49 AM
Dave
Race Car

Tim, I forgot about the VW, was $31k last spring, but prices dropped almost $5000 in May. Nice car, and german too!

The Nissan Quest is a re-badged Mercury Villager, which is a short wheelbased Ford. Not exactly a change from a Windstar.

Dave,-Who got the Chrysler in spite of Chrysler's bogus "invented the minivan" claim

Quick Reply: Totally OT: Minivans: don't read if you don't want to