Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

canister type oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 02:51 PM
freak
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb canister type oil filters

anyone ever heard of a canister type oil filter replacement/upgrade for a N/A 944? i have a 87 944s model...i read somewhere that someone converted theirs to this style and oil changes have been easier...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-30-2001, 05:15 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh Lord... I haven't had to mess with one of those since I changed my Uncle's oil on his 63 Chevy about 25 years ago. Crushed the gasket and made a terrible mess, too, as I recall. Perhaps I'm biased, but I wouldn't view this as an upgrade...

I suppose you could retrofit one, but the main issue (as I see it) with the stock setup is the fact you get oil all over creation when you remove the old filter. Don't see how a cannister would improve matters any. But I'm willing, as always, to be proved wrong.

Thaddeus
Old 12-30-2001, 06:31 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

This company, Canton-Mecca, makes a canister type filter that will fit our 944's. They are not cheap and eliminate the mess by having the replaceable filter element come out of the top of the canister. They syre look nice too...Check out the web site CM web page for the specs on the filters. I am going to switch if I can ever get myself to spend $95.00 for the first filter!!!

HTH
Old 12-30-2001, 07:03 PM
Cobbs
Instructor

I might be wrong on this one but I think the Mahle filter has some valve or somthing that keeps the oil from all flowing out when the engine is stopped. This is supposed to keep the engine from being completely starved from oil when it is started cold. Like I said this might be wrong...
Old 12-30-2001, 11:01 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope..you're not wrong Cobbs.
I don't believe the canister replacement listed has that anti-drain back valve.
I think inventing something to catch all the oil would be a better proposition.

Perhaps just attach a metal pan (aluminum so we dont upset the precious weight balance ) to the engine block around the oil filter...to catch the oil. Then use a turkey baster or something to suck up the oil.

Another idea would be something that is only slid in there when oil changes are performed...with a piece of rubber to help seal it to the area around the oil filter.

I can see a do it yourself clean oil change tool comin...Advertises extended power steering pump line life and sway bar bushings...
Old 12-31-2001, 11:08 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Cobbs - Yup, there is an anti-drain back valve in the stock oil filters, but they have the same valve in the CM products.

Adrial - Funny you should mention this. One of the things I do every oil change is form a channel out of tin foil to catch and divert the Exxonn oil spill that happens every time I remove the filter. I press it up snugly around the base of the filter, the viscosity of the oil makes sure it does not spill everywhere. Much easier than fabbing a stay in place piece and never upsets the precious weight balance.

Cheers
Old 12-31-2001, 11:53 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got sick of spilling oil all over my power steering pump so I got one of the Canton-Mecca (CM) filters over two years ago. It has been a godsend as far as I am concerned. If I spill more than a couple of drops when I replace a cartridge it is because I wasn't paying attention.

Replacement cartridges are maybe twice as much as a standard filter, but they are supposed to be good for over 10K miles.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:31 PM
ast2000
Instructor

Back, way back before most of your daddy's were gleams in your granddaddy's eye, I remember a neighbor replacing an original cartridge filter with one that used a roll of toilet paper. Certinly cheaper than the $12 for a filter. Hmmm I wonder what the micron rating of TP is??
Old 12-31-2001, 12:49 PM
eworkley
Instructor

Someone wrote a while ago about using small funnel and tube under the filter when changing. I made one up and it works great. I a used about a 3" round filter and a foot long piece of tubing. It fit up under the filter and stayed in place. You have to put it in from under the car.
Thanks to however...

eworkley
87944S
Old 12-31-2001, 12:58 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How 'bout relocating the stock filter, that site has all the parts so a stock filter could be mounted someplace more convienent (read vertical). As an added bonus, as long as you're putting in oil hose, an additional oil cooler can be added.
Old 01-01-2002, 02:36 AM
freak
Intermediate

i work in an import repair shop, and see all kinds of newer benz's and bmw's, audis, etc that all use a cannister type filter...if it still works for them, then....maybe?
Old 01-01-2002, 05:36 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I think inventing something to catch all the oil would be a better proposition.
I use a plastic shopping bag to contain the Exxon Valdez-II during oil-changes. First loosen the filter with a filter wrench. The stuff a grocery bag under the filter. Pull up on the handles to wrap the bag completely around the bottom of the filter. Unscrew filter and drop into bag.

Then I can take my sweet time wiggling the filter out of the car (while it's spilling its guts into the bag). Most of the time, I get just a drop or two on the ground.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:02 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally posted by Riff:
<STRONG>This company, Canton-Mecca, makes a canister type filter that will fit our 944's... I am going to switch if I can ever get myself to spend $95.00 for the first filter!!!

HTH</STRONG>
Riff,

Don't exagerate... it will only cost you $87.50 because the long filter won't fit the S2

I have one short filter and one long filter that I may wish to sell because I may be converting to a remote CM filter on my S2. If anyone is interested please reply privately.

Quick Reply: canister type oil filters