Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob looking to buy a 944 for father son project

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 12:51 AM
pops 83 944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear you picked up the 86, can't wait to see it!!
Old 09-28-2013, 11:16 PM
motorjunkie
Track Day

Well it was a bust. I got there and the first thing I see is about 100 holes drilled in the front facia between the headlights. Then I looked at the pass side and there was Bondo all the way down the side and poorly applied. It was described as a small place in front of the rear wheel (a parking lot incident) but extended above the belt line and amost the whole wheel well. It must have been a high speed parking lot. Silicone was caked all around the rear hatch and the Fuchs were sloppily spray painted. It was probably a track reject. It certainly had been abused. I was disappointed but I passed. I am still talking with the owner of the inop 85.5. Will cont to keep posted.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:58 AM
Parawhore
Rennlist Member

If you get the inop 85.5 I think it will be great.

My dad has had an 82 924 since I was about 13 and when I was 17 I bought a salvaged 84 944. We worked on it together and it was such a good experience. Even though I've since purchased a much nicer 944, I would never in a million years take back that experience. My dad got me into Porsches and I firmly believe I'll always own one.

Funny part is, the 944 I own now was owned by a friend of my dads when he was in his 20s. I had no clue when I bought it, I was even in this car as a kid (about 7 years old).
Old 09-29-2013, 10:06 AM
motorjunkie
Track Day

How much is a windshield for one of these? I think the 85.5 needs one.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:01 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by motorjunkie
Ok. I made a deal on the 86 model for 1800.00. We are picking it up tomorrow am. I will post pics when we get it. It is an 86 w 95k miles and it reg just needs some tlc and paint. It has been owned by a porsche mechanic and is up to date on maint. Everything works but the cruise and the air. No cracks on the dash and the int is pretty squared away.
Originally Posted by motorjunkie
Well it was a bust. I got there and the first thing I see is about 100 holes drilled in the front facia between the headlights. Then I looked at the pass side and there was Bondo all the way down the side and poorly applied.... Silicone was caked all around the rear hatch and the Fuchs were sloppily spray painted....
Those 86 issues wouldn't put me off especially for a project car. Quite low miles, maintained, good interior, no dash cracks. As long as the chassis is straight and the engine and suspension are ok, the Fuchs refinishing would be a nice project, plenty of cheap na used header panels around to swap in. As for the wheel arch damage and bondo, just fix it right, good learning curve for your son.

I suppose it depends on your skills, what you are good at doing yourself on a project car. Personally I would rather not deal with interior, dash, seats, carpet, etc, and work on bodywork and mechanicals with my son and leave the cosmetic stuff to professionals.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:42 PM
motorjunkie
Track Day

I appreciate your advice-and all these things you mention, I was prepared to tackle. Problem is, he car was quite a bit worse than that in person. The rear quarter was bad. Bad enough that it would probably need to be replaced to repair correctly. THe hood was not lined up on that side and the front facia was mangled below the bumper. THe oil leak on the motor was also worse than described. There was no maint history at all. The interior was not so great either, with a cracked dash and the seat covers which did not match. To drill 100 holes in the front facia would either be for someone of questionable intelligence or a track hound further evidenced by the presence of the Fuchs which were definitely salvageable, but were painted so sloppily that the whole thing smacked of neglect and abuse. I really think this car was someones track car, and bottom line, I really do not want to buy a car that has been abused. I know it was cheap for a running car, and it would really be perfect for a track car, but not to fix up IMO. THere are too many NICE examples out there for around 4000. It just did not FEEL right, if you know what I mean.

THe 85.5 is priced at parts car status so it hardly could be a mistake in my estimation. But the rule of buying the nicest example I can afford may point to the prudence of biding my time to get a nicer example.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:21 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

I was researching windshields for my 85.5 - I could get an aftermarket unit without the internal antenna for $200 to $250 installed, but the correct one with the antenna ran closer to $700 (if anyone on the west coast has a good windshield for me, you can PM me, I might be interested) - I didn't want to put more into the car than it is worth, even though I bought it new.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:48 AM
motorjunkie
Track Day

OK new plan. I have found an 88 model we are thinking of buying. Not driven much in the last three yrs but now has a new slave cyl and back on the road. Recent timing belt etc. it has 190k miles. Is that too much if it has been well cared for? WHat failures are an issue at these miles. The main thing the owner mentioned is a leaking rack.

Last edited by motorjunkie; 09-30-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

I got the one with the internal antenna installed by Safelite for about $450. The independent glass places were asking closer to $800. Happy with the Safelite job.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:54 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I got a Safelite one installed, the price was going to be close to $600 with labor but it was an insurance claim so it cost me my deductable ($100).

Quick Reply: Noob looking to buy a 944 for father son project