Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob looking to buy a 944 for father son project

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 PM
motorjunkie
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob looking to buy a 944 for father son project

OK I am looking at a car that is very cheap because it has no spark. Recent timing belt clutch etc. The car is a southern car with 140k miles. Red repaint and a pretty nice body. I have a pretty good idea that the spark is due to the flywheel screw since the owner had just replaced the slave cylinder which also reqd the starter to be removed. I suppose it could also be the DME or flywheel sensors. Anyway the owner is tired of fighting it and has the price super cheap. Now I know this is a risk but at the price I suppose it could be a parts car if things dont work out. What advice can I get on 944 ownership in general. I have owned many BMWs and other euros over the years and perform most work myself. I understand the 944 is prob a bit more delicate than an e30 or e36 but this seems like a pretty good deal on what could be a nice driver with a little work.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:31 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

from my perspective in owning both BMW and Porsche cars, I think the Porsche is more dynamic and as easy to require service maint. as the BMW is.

My thoughts may be a bit jaded, as I have owned for a greater length of time 944's , 914's , and 911's than any BMW. I do feel the Porsche has far superior brakes, is a safer car to drive very fast, very well at high speed on the track, and this spills over into integrity on the highway. The idea may be a bit ludicrous to some, that a 30 year old sports car can be more fun to work on and drive than some modern day counterpart, but here again I have a somewhat gilded view of the sports car from Stuttgart ( by way of Neckarsulm )

My thought is also that this car could be made to run very easily and may be nothing more than some new reference sensors, a bad alarm, a poor DME box, or a bad ignition module. I say go for it and teach the son a lesson in hands on satisfaction of the mechanical kind. We need more of this in today's world.
You will find plenty of help here on this board, as well as Clark's Garage, the 944 Online forum, and various other sites. Lots of good folks on all...... and very willing to lend a hand or provide assistance.
Best wishes with your endeavor !
Old 09-24-2013, 06:42 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

I noticed you mentioned that it's a southern car. Where are you located? If you're around Waco TX, I have a good DME relay, a couple ignition switches and usable ref sensors (albeit not suitable for reliable driving) that should allow us to do basic troubleshooting.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Sounds like you know what you are getting into. I can't think of a reason to not give it a shot. There are several good communities / forums to bounce things off. Rennlist, PelicanParts and 944online to name a few. Clarks-Garage.com is a great resource. Look at if if you haven't already. Hope it works out for you.

Last edited by Ky944TurboNewbie; 09-25-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Do it! Father son 944 restorations are the best. And they make an awesome first car! I would know
Old 09-24-2013, 11:28 PM
motorjunkie
Track Day

Thanks for the feedback guys. This is very encouraging. I have always admired these cars from afar and it will be a lot of fun to jump in to ownership. We have just gotten a neglected e30 back on the road and it is time to either upgrade to something cooler or put more money in. We were looking at mkii supras and then It struck me. What is better than a 944/924 for the money? (Rhetorical question). So I am pleasantly surprised that the ownership experience is not too far off that other German make which I am more familiar. Also, sausage, thank you for the generous offer of assistance. I am located in Alabama so the geography does not quite work. But the offer shows what a great group of guys you are on here. That alone makes this an easy decision for what to look for. I will keep you all posted on our progress. And any other advice please weigh in!
Old 09-24-2013, 11:42 PM
pops 83 944
Racer

What year is the car in question. If it is a late model, I have a few spare DME's if you need a know good one to test with, just pay shipping.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:35 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

note that I bought a 944 for each daughter to restore - this is not limited to sons.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:28 AM
use2windsurf
Racer

Originally Posted by motorjunkie
Thanks for the feedback guys. This is very encouraging. I have always admired these cars from afar and it will be a lot of fun to jump in to ownership. We have just gotten a neglected e30 back on the road and it is time to either upgrade to something cooler or put more money in. We were looking at mkii supras and then It struck me. What is better than a 944/924 for the money? (Rhetorical question). So I am pleasantly surprised that the ownership experience is not too far off that other German make which I am more familiar. Also, sausage, thank you for the generous offer of assistance. I am located in Alabama so the geography does not quite work. But the offer shows what a great group of guys you are on here. That alone makes this an easy decision for what to look for. I will keep you all posted on our progress. And any other advice please weigh in!
Where in Alabama? I am in Decatur, work in Huntsville. I have been hoping to find some local 944 owners to compare notes with. I have seen one other 944 on The road around here, saw it two days in a row on the way to work but havent seen it since.

1987 Garnet Red 944 N/A
Old 09-25-2013, 08:31 AM
use2windsurf
Racer

And yes this is a GREAT forum. I have had my 944 for about 2 months and never have done much on cars. With this forums help and some common sense I have veen able to do everthing I have wanted/needed to do. I now have a great new hobby.

1987 Garnet Red 944 N/A
Old 09-25-2013, 09:02 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

...What is better than a 944/924 for the money?...
With classic 80's styling probably nothing. If money was no object Audi UR Quattro or Ferrari 308QV from the same era.

A 944 is a great and reasonably priced car to do as a father/son project that will still turn heads today if you take your time and do it right.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:22 AM
motorjunkie
Track Day

The car is an 85 so I will suppose in my ignorance that it is not a late example. The late ones have the integrated front bumper right? We are located in central AL near birmingham but out in the country. We head through north AL (near Huntsville) several times a year to visit family in KY, so I am sure we could get together sometime -used2windsurf. I frequent the Pull a Part in Bham and actually saw a 944 there a month ago. Wish I had known I was going to buy one because they dont turn up there too often. I spoke with the owner of the 85 and I believe we have struck a deal at 800 bucks, so the next step is to work out the logistics of making the 120 mile trip and getting it on my trailer without scraping the front spoiler off. Oh the adventures of being a car nut. :-P
Old 09-25-2013, 11:30 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Located just a bit north of you in Brentwood. Feel free to contact when you can't find that part you need. I can pretty much guarantee its either in the garage or the race trailer.

Just don't part it out. Save it!!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:36 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car is an 85 so I will suppose in my ignorance that it is not a late example. The late ones have the integrated front bumper right? We are located in central AL near birmingham but out in the country. We head through north AL (near Huntsville) several times a year to visit family in KY, so I am sure we could get together sometime -used2windsurf. I frequent the Pull a Part in Bham and actually saw a 944 there a month ago. Wish I had known I was going to buy one because they dont turn up there too often. I spoke with the owner of the 85 and I believe we have struck a deal at 800 bucks, so the next step is to work out the logistics of making the 120 mile trip and getting it on my trailer without scraping the front spoiler off. Oh the adventures of being a car nut. :-P
Based on the picture the wheel offset and the dashboard both look like a "late" or 85.5 model. That can be considered a good thing.

Use some 2/10's under the ramps to give you a better angle of entry to the trailer and you should be fine. If it is at stock ride height, it should clear with a typical car trailer.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:17 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by f1rocks
Based on the picture the wheel offset and the dashboard both look like a "late" or 85.5 model. That can be considered a good thing.
The fusebox is in a much nicer place, and overall the electronics are probably easier to deal with on later cars (i.e. 85.5 and up)

Quick Reply: Noob looking to buy a 944 for father son project