Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

project: Supercharged 944

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:16 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

^ pleasing to the eye thus far!
Old 08-31-2014, 12:29 AM
DarrenD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

So I have realized I am a terrible build thread guy, I've been busy lately. Blew my back out for the month of July and half of august and it's just feeling better so I have almost finished the car. here's a pic from today:

Hopefully tomorrow I can get it outside for a wash. Just waiting for my DME from rogue and it'll be ready to fire up after a couple little things I need to finish.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:54 AM
MN
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

"Best wishes, I spent 1.5 years of my life and a chunk of $$$ with a supercharged 968, not going there again, EVER!"

Lemming, you started off perhaps with the wrong or not yet fully developed supercharger kit.

MN
Old 08-31-2014, 09:51 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

in the beginning, I think the fabricator did a fair job, and deserves a fair amount of credit for making a kit to work with the AC,

but he put the kit on the market about a year and a half before actually having it working.

a harsh claim.... but the first buyers were left with having to actually make the kit work.

the fabricator kept retreating to the 'these problems are all due to the abuse of the racing context' format,

unfortunately, this wasn't actually the case....

even basic street performance was totally horrible. as in, on the order of 7~10 mpg levels of horrible, and power was down.

once the Raptor unit was strapped in (via toothed belt and in some cases even before that threshold),
the gravity of the situation began to become apparent....

the Raptor's weakness as the dog it most truly is was exposed.

then there was the matter of finding suitable injectors, and making the whole thing work.

the happy faces never seemed to appear.

it's possible the raptor could power a VW bug engine or mini-bus engine from the dark ages,

or maybe a Subaru engine in a Beck kit car for long bursts of unabated pleasure.....

but when pushed on a 3.0, half thems damn things eat themselves in less than ____ nuthin miles of driving,
taking a good part of the engine/s with 'em....

it'll always be hard to compete with the oiling and adiabatic efficiency of an exhaust fed turbine.

not to mention the raptor (and it's heart; the bearing) would have to be proportioned up to about the size of a tree stump

before it were finally sufficiently capable of pushing 7psi of wind out the *** end of the intercooler....

let alone the engine itself.

it's not easy to make a centrifugal supercharger to work for a 4 cylinder engine....

and if you're including gas economy in the conversation, then insert any in front of engine.

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
The hardest thing I found was actually just getting everything to fit in the engine bay - Rotrex, Oil Cooler, Oil Reservoir, Intercooler plumbing, intake plumbing, etc. That Eaton looks a little close to the body - make sure you have enough clearance. I presume you will get a custom tune done? It took me a long time to get the tune right on mine.

Good luck.

you've accomplished a herculean feat, and deserve a ton of praise.

you'll get still more too, should you ever put your genius to the test on a 3.0 engine for driving a few thousand miles each year.

Last edited by odurandina; 08-31-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:59 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrenD
So I have realized I am a terrible build thread guy, I've been busy lately. Blew my back out for the month of July and half of august and it's just feeling better so I have almost finished the car. here's a pic from today:

Hopefully tomorrow I can get it outside for a wash. Just waiting for my DME from rogue and it'll be ready to fire up after a couple little things I need to finish.
looking good.
ive spent the last 2 days staring at my engine bay and re-routing plumbing to make it all package better for my SC...this might give me some ideas.

Originally Posted by odurandina
in the beginning, I think the fabricator did a fair job, and deserves a fair amount of credit for making a kit to work with the AC,
it's not easy to make a centrifugal supercharger to work for a 4 cylinder engine....

and if you're including gas economy in the conversation, then insert any in front of engine.

you've accomplished a herculean feat, and deserve a ton of praise.

you'll get still more too, should yo
do you realize that there is nothing in common between the supercharger darren (and I, and Sid) used and the one from the kit you bemoan? not a single shared part, from completely different manufacturers and designs?
Old 08-31-2014, 11:07 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

of course.

pardon for posting using an internet device hardly up to the task (as in problem fixed).

but I also want to see a roots blower chewing up the pavement for a good while.

in saying that, I'm fully confident the roots is up to the task.

so, I'm waiting with enthusiasm. I'd especially love to see a roots on a 3.0 engine (already blessed w/ ludicrous power).

people have had their say – and this bemoaning, respectfully, is my take on this supercharger stuff.

in the meantime.... there's these monster pullout engines that, in the end, will prolly end up doing *just as well on gas

*(if running the correct transmission/5th gear combos).

the LS is still the big dog – and the owner of the title, brutal simplicity.

unedited response:

Originally Posted by odurandina
trying to keep open minded, but the 944 is now 30 years old.

where are the roots blowers?? how many miles logged on the books? please post video

in the meantime.... there's these monster pullout engines that, in the end, will prolly end up doing *just as well on gas

*(highway; running the correct transmission/5th gear combos).

unfortunately, it's not easy... it cost's big to fix these cars....
http://www.lsxtv.com/features/car-fe...-subaru-brz06/

Last edited by odurandina; 08-31-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:18 PM
DarrenD
Racer

The reason I went with the Eaton M90 is it's widespread use and success. Easy to get parts for, easy to source, and easy pipe to. It's a great unit. I would have loved to use the short snout version from a Jaguar but too hard to get for cheap. I can see why companies charge so much for an S/C kit, it's a great amount of work. I could have done many things better but it would have raised the price. All in I'm around 2K(minus the Rogue tuning Maf that I already had). There's no way I could have done any other form of swap or power adder for the same cost. Even turbo would have been more money and why bother, I could have just bought a 944 Turbo.

Spencer, can you post up a pic for comparison?
Old 08-31-2014, 02:50 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Finally got it down off the jackstands after almost a year, sporting the new-to-me Simmons 17" 3-pc. forged wheels.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:13 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful, I love the wheels.

If you don't mind, how invested are you in that sc setup?
Old 08-31-2014, 05:10 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Thanks, I love the wheels too. It took me 4 years to find the perfect set, I believe the search paid off.

If you're wondering what the whole S/C setup cost? Around $2000 if you don't count the Rogue tuning MAF that I already had. Keep in mind I used very few new parts and did 99.9% of the fab myself. It's not a cheap setup, but I don't know if the amount of power it should yield could be matched for the dollars invested doing any other setup.

Once it's running(if it runs) I'm going to do some more detailed pics and a writeup to help anybody that's maybe interested in a setup like this. If it doesn't work, I'm going to run and hide.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:43 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good so far!

Looking forward to more pics, and hopefully soon some vids?
Old 09-01-2014, 11:29 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

just so you know, with the throttle placed after the blower you will always be driving the supercharger = more engine load always and immediate boost

throttling before the supercharger lets you control the air volume a lot easier, that blower is very powerful and moves a lot of huff. the bypass valve would let the sc freewheel when under part throttle and you'd basically be driving a normal 944 until you got your foot into it enough to close the bypass.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:00 PM
DarrenD
Racer

I have looked at both ways, it was Josh from Rogue that convinced me to do it the way I have. Plus I looked at many other aftermarket setups and they seemed to run the same way. I will see what the driveability is like, if it's poor, I may change it. Thanks for the input. Also, it's a track car 99% of the time, so my foots always in it anyway.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:35 AM
DarrenD
Racer

Did a before and after S/C photo comparison. I much prefer after.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:25 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

damn impressive so far.... love the wheels too.

sometimes sweet finds help encourage us to keep going when we hit a bit of a wall.

oh, and we need the camera to probe a bit deeper behind the plumbing.

anything even close.... post it.

Quick Reply: project: Supercharged 944