Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single Stage Paint Jobs- Post Yours

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:15 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Single Stage Paint Jobs- Post Yours

Hey guys I'm sure there's a few on here and if anyone has a single stage paint job (Not Base, Clear) on their car please post a pic. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2013, 03:36 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually, this is timely - I need to do some painting on my 944, and I'd rather use a single stage paint, it needs to be something forgiving like lacquer because I will not have a paint booth - I do have decent spray equipment though. I need to paint one panel at a time as I get it done, otherwise the car will look like a mess forever.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:37 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neither picture really shows the paint, but it us the best I have.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
actually, this is timely - I need to do some painting on my 944, and I'd rather use a single stage paint, it needs to be something forgiving like lacquer because I will not have a paint booth - I do have decent spray equipment though. I need to paint one panel at a time as I get it done, otherwise the car will look like a mess forever.

Make a paint booth out of gray 3/4" PVS pipe and 6 mil clear plastic sheeting from Home Depot, in a hoop house. YouTube for that.

Use later to grow tomatoes.

Back to single stage paint: What works, what doesn't work, with the factory paint as base? It's important to have chemical compatibility with what's already on the car. Ideas?
Old 09-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

GT3 RS Orange in a single-stage urethane.
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2013, 12:03 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a shop here in Austin that does very low cost single stage urethane. I saw a car painted there yesterday, the day after the paint was laid down. It was a metallic gunmetal. I looked it over pretty carefully and it looked nice, no overspray and no orange peel. So low cost single stage jobs can look good. I was pretty bent on painting my car myself but at their prices, I'm going to bring my car in to them. You couldnt even plastidip a car yourself for less then they are charging to spray the entire car.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:11 AM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

I really would love to do the gt3 orange, only thing is my car is zermatt which means unless the do the egine bay and inside the cargo/passenger area it will look funny. I thought about getting some black paint and doing the inside caro and engine bay so atleast its neutral but dont know if its wise.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:30 AM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

I wonder what markus' old 951 color is? I love his car. This one:
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2013, 09:06 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

GT3RS grey

Old 09-23-2013, 01:44 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

This orange is a stock Ford color, used on the Mustang. This is Nason 2K single stage. This is the best it ever looked, before I exposed it to "the track". There's an article on my website about the paint job. In short, 1 day to scrub every surface with sandpaper, one day to tape and mask, and the last day to spray. It's a 10 footer.
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2013, 02:26 AM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by harveyf
This orange is a stock Ford color, used on the Mustang. This is Nason 2K single stage. This is the best it ever looked, before I exposed it to "the track". There's an article on my website about the paint job. In short, 1 day to scrub every surface with sandpaper, one day to tape and mask, and the last day to spray. It's a 10 footer.
How'd you like the Nason 2K single stage paint?

It's been recommended to me, but I have no experience with it.

Durable? Tough? Scratch and fade resistant? Easy to work with? Cure time? Cost?
Old 09-24-2013, 04:59 PM
edredas
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DuPont Nason 2k:

I have gone years without washing it and it still looked great. It is a gummy paint so it doesn't scratch or oxidize, but is hard to polish and requires certain products to bring the gloss back if you plan to sand it. My Guards Red cost $300 for a gallon. I had no problem spraying it in my backyard, but would suggest using a slow reducer. Afterwards I used 2k grit to get rid of the orange peel and 3M products to bring the shine back. While Nason can embarrass some clear coats, it won't ever look as dark or rich as the original enamel.

Also make sure to be safe when using 2k, as it is very dangerous stuff!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:06 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

PHP Code:
DurableToughScratch and fade resistantEasy to work withCure timeCost
Well, now you're putting me on the spot. I started using Dupont products because that's what the most readily accessible paint jobber near me carried. I went basecoat/clearcoat because it was for my Etype. When it came time for the track car, I wanted something simpler aka single stage. That's where I got into the Nason, which is now a division of Dupont. So it is cheaper and you don't have to buy any clearcoat.

I think its way too soon to evaluate durability and fade resistance. That should take years to show up. I've had the paint job for 3 years and those are not issues so far. I also had a Jag sedan painted with black Nason and it looked great and was holding up fine when I sold it. Easy to work with? I guess so. I can't blame my runs and the bugs landing on it on the paint! Cure time is quick enough. They work on keeping cure times quick because these paints are set up for production shops that want high throughput. My only consideration with cure time was to get it tack free as soon as possible to repel dust and bugs.

I've painted cars in a field and the results showed it You really need to build a tent/booth if you want any hope of keeping the crap out of your paint job.

Tough and scratch resistant. It's not powder coat or Imron tough but tough enough I guess. As they allways say, spraying the paint is the easy part, it's the prep work that's key.

BTW Autobodystore.com has a great forum that if you hang around long enough you'll pick up some good words of wisdom.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Funn944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Single stage Ford red.
Attached Images   
Old 09-25-2013, 08:13 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

+1 to edredas. He correctly mentions that all paints where you add a catalyst should be treated as toxic when inhaled. At a minimum get a good quality respirator with the proper filters. Do a fit test. Put it on and put your head over something with a distinctive smell, like a bowl with some rubbing alcohol poured in it. If you get a whiff of odor, the mask isn't fit correctly and you are at risk. I have a full beard so I sprang for the supplied air system with a hood and a long hose and an air pump far away from the scene of the painting. Works like a charm. Also, my supply house says reds are the most expensive. I wouldn't let price sway me but Nason is considered to be a "good value".

Quick Reply: Single Stage Paint Jobs- Post Yours