Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Damper Compression Fitting Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 12:53 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts
Arrow Fuel Damper Compression Fitting Leak

Hi...

I reinstalled the fuel supply line onto the fuel damper and noticed a leak coming from the compression fitting - where the 19mm nut rotates on the fuel line - not where the 19mm nut meets the threads of the damper. From what I've read, all I have to do is tighten the 19mm nut onto the fuel damper, right? Should I put some Loctite on the threads so they don't shake loose from the engine vibrations? I'm going to remove and then reinstall the fuel line tomorrow to see if it corrects itself.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

sm
Old 12-27-2001, 01:51 AM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a similar fuel leak after completing my engine rebuild. At first I disconnected it, and rubbed some silicone grease into the rotating compression fitting. This stopped the fuel leak, although I was very nervous it would fail while driving, causing a fire. I decided to replace my two fuel lines with stainless steel braided lines. For 12 dollars plus 4 hose clamps, all the connections are tight and secure and fresh. The job took about an hour, basically to cut the compression fitting and peel it off the hose. The metal lines hidden all have a taper to properly fit the new fuel line without any special adapter. It looks awesome too!!
Old 12-27-2001, 02:23 AM
sm
Drifting

David:

Could you please tell me more about the braided lines you got? Maybe a pic or two? I know that SFR has some braided lines, but they said I have to use the existing compression fitting. Also, if you do away with the compression fitting, do you just pull the fuel hose over the threaded part of the fuel damper and fun a hose clamp over that?

Thanks,
sm
Old 12-27-2001, 02:30 AM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure how to post images yet, but I'll try sometime. I went to a racing shop and picked up some braided lines, I'm sorry but I don't have the measurement handy. They are roughly the same diameter as the stock lines minus the casing. Once you peel off all the compression fittings, you will find a tapered nipple on the nut that screws into the damper. The two metal lines near the headers also have the taper at the end of the metal tube. The pictures would look exactly like the ones posted on Speedforceracing website where they want about $80. Hope this helps.
Old 12-27-2001, 02:35 AM
sm
Drifting

Thanks again David. So how do you take the compression fittings off? Or do you just cut them off? And do your new fuel lines fit over the threads of the stock fuel damper? SOrry for the questions!

sm
Old 12-27-2001, 09:23 AM
TomH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sm, there was a recall for that fuel line back in 1990. Do you have the newer line? This comes from the recall notice:

Install new fuel line, Part Number 944 110 413 02, using a 19 mm open wrench, counter holding with a 17 mm open end wrench.

The tightening torque for both union nuts is:
25 N-m (18 ft.lbs.)
Old 12-27-2001, 11:34 AM
TurboTim
Banned

David,

Looks arent everything. I suspect you might have gotten an inferior product for the price you mentioned. We use the highest qaulity stainless fuel line available. There are differet grades of stainless fuel line, too. The stuff we use costs over $12.00 a foot. The fittings are close to $10 a piece. As you can see we are not making much profit on the lines. Our lines are so good that recently a listers car caught fire and the only thing that survived was the fuel lines!

Tim
86 951 http://www.speedforceracing.com
Old 12-27-2001, 01:16 PM
sm
Drifting

The red arrow in this picture is where the fuel leak is:

I'm just going to retighten the fitting to see if it solves the problem.

Tim - Do you have any replacements for this fuel hose without modifying the fuel damper? Or do you know where I can buy a new compression fitting? I'm not sure if I spoke to your or your partner yesterday, but just wanted to say thanks for the info.

sm
Old 12-27-2001, 10:29 PM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

SM,

You will not be placing your stainless steel lines on the fuel damper threads. Once you peel off the compression fitting, the remaining nut has a fitting on it which you will place the line on and tighten with the hose clamp. You can then tighten the nut back onto the fuel damper. Tim, I agree your product looks superior, especially with the special anodized sleeves. I probably cut a few corners, but I believe I have a sturdy, high quality line. It was purchased from a NASCAR surplus store here in NASCAR country. I bought it for $4 per foot when it retails at 8-12 dollars per foot. By the way SM, I peeled off the compression fittings by making a cut in the edge with a hack saw, then rolling and tearing the fitting with pliers. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:00 AM
TurboTim
Banned

David,

If you got the good stuff for a discount, I dont think you have to worry. I was thinking that stainless hose for $4.00 a foot has to be some cheap crap. I didnt realize it was on sale;^)

Tim

Tim
Old 12-28-2001, 11:04 AM
TurboTim
Banned

SM,

The crimp to the left of that compression fitting gets cut off and our new hose slides over it and gets tightened down with a hoseclamp fitting.Problem solved!

Tim
Old 12-28-2001, 02:03 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
David S.,

I wanted to say thanks for your post on replacing the fuel lines and the fact that the metal lines are flared on the end underneath the crimp fittings. Until now I thought the only option was to replace all the fuel lines at the dealer. (which I was getting ready to do) I'm sure they are big-time $$$. This is a great thread that I'm sure will save many cars and possibly lives! I'm off to locate some quality fuel hose now. One question.....do you think just regular fuel hose (no stainless steel casing) will work fine and last? I can get fuel hose made by Gates or Goodyear which I think are reputable manufacturers. I was then gonna add some protective heat shield wrap. I don't think the pressures (60psi tops???) are high enough to warrant the stainless even though it looks awesome. I'm not trying to skimp on $$ or anything else.....just wondering if hose rated for 2000psi is necessary. I feel the real issue would be the hoses temperature rating since the exhaust is so close. Thanks.

Tom
'87 951
'86 Supra
Old 12-28-2001, 05:35 PM
sm
Drifting

I took off the fitting and then put it back on and retightened. I drove around last night and everything was fine - no leaks. I went to start the car this morning and noticed immediately some fuel seeping out of the area the red arrow is pointing to in the picture I posted previously. I noticed that the threads on the damper were a little moist as well.

I ordered the fuel lines from Turbo Tim at SFR and now want to get a new compression fitting. Does anyone know where I can get one or maybe the dealer would have the item? Or can I wrap some of that thread tape that plumbers use? I would rather not have to, since I don't think Porsche designed it that way.

Like Tom said, thanks for all the info!

Tom - I went with the braided fuel lines for peace of mind. I've lifted my hood maybe 10 times over the last couple of days to check the hoses! Maybe someone else has an answer.

sm
Old 12-28-2001, 07:27 PM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Tom,

Thanks for the feedback! While I'm sure your non-braided fuel line would be fine, especially with a protective sleeve, what convinced me to go with stainless steel is from looking at the perry951 engine fire pictures, and seeing how the fuel line did not even burn, which could be life saving ! SM, I doubt you have a leak of fuel from the connection of the compression fitting nut and the fuel damper, so this probably does not need to be replaced. Simply tear off the crimped hose and put your new line on. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2001, 07:44 PM
sm
Drifting

Thanks David... I feel a bit better about not having to find a new compression fitting. I left you an e-mail, but I think you've answered all my questions but for one. What did you use to tear off the compression fitting? Jam a screwdriver into it?

THanks! I boosted your rating...even though the stars don't mean much But you've been of great help.

sm

Quick Reply: Fuel Damper Compression Fitting Leak