Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

83 944 vs. 85 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 03:44 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool 83 944 vs. 85 Vette

I'm considering gettin rid of my 944 and buying an 85 vette. My friends dad is hopefully going to give me a good deal on it (red/black, garage kept, 17k miles). I ventured on over to the vette board to ask them their opinion of how the two compare handling wise and now i'd like your opinions. Of course they're mostly biased there towards the vette. One really interesting this they posted was this:

85 Ad

Lemme know what you guys think!
Old 06-12-2001, 04:11 PM
PSUice944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Just what I think?...

They are two different kinds of cars.

The vette is a muscle car developing to be a super sports car (it finally is with the z-06 IMHO)
The 944 is a sports car, not a super one, but one I can afford, a modded 944T... thats another story!

Do you like muscle cars better? Would you want one that looks good and is affordable and can handle pretty well? Then get the vette, and whatever you do, don't try to flog it like your 944, cuz I don't think it will be very nice to you when it spins, or you rev and hold at the fun-REDline!

Don't get me wrong at all, I love old and new vettes... a personal dream car is a 78, black with drag pipes... but it ISN'T a sports car, its a muscle car.

Its all personal preference, I like to floor it in the bends and afford the gas!

Regardless, best of luck in your decision, I'd be sticking with my 86 944, but it would be tough. I bet I'd miss my 944 later and get another one
Old 06-12-2001, 04:16 PM
MikeD
1st Gear

Ken,

I owned a 92 Corvette some time back. I presently own a 1986 951. As you would expect these two cars feel completely different to drive. The Vette has a much larger and disconnected feel to it. It feels heavier and more ponderous than the 951 does. Also, since it is fiberglass rather than unit body steel the Vette feels nowhere near as solid. You will have to expect some rattles and cowl shake especially in a 1985 version. Chevy tends to take a bigger is better brute feel approach (big tires, big engine, etc...) There is no denying that the Corvette is a quick car under almost all conditions.

I would say drive the Corvette and see what you think. If you like the feel then go for it. My Corvette was reasonably reliable but don't be fooled into thinking that it is cheaper to maintain than a German car. Parts can be just as much to replace and many of the support items such as switches, lights, etc.. are junk.

Finally, remenber that Car and Driver called the 944 the best handling car in the world back in 84 or 85. it can hold its own with almost any car of that era with respect to handling.

Mike
Old 06-12-2001, 04:16 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts
Thumbs down

Your question could start a war on the discussion boards. There are a lot of factors to take into consideration(now that I said that, no one else has to).

In 1991 I traded in an RX-7 coupe and bought a brand new RX-7 convertible instead of an 88 Vette convertible with next to no miles. I chose the RX-7 because I get a bigger thrill punching the car through turns than straight line stump pulling acceleration. I also have a 68 Firebird convertible for "comparison".

The RX-7 is so similar to the 944 I think I can speak as some sort of expert on this.

I also am lazy, and wanted the more civilized ride the RX-7 offered for my "everyday" warm weather car. Since 91 I had two opportunities to get Vettes in excellent condition, and passed.

On the other hand you are talking about a new car if it has only 17K legit miles, compared to ??? miles on your 944. If this is a weekend toy you wont mind the ride which I think was softened in 85. I understand the 84 was almost unbearably stiff. The Vette is also the better looking car even though many on the board would want to argue. It's in our hormones to grow up lusting a Vette.

When I bought my 944 S2 last year I wanted a sports car for everyday, and eliminated the Vette once again for the same reasons. My mechanic has an 87 Vette convertible with about 15K that he uses as a weekend summer car. While not as stiff as his Harley, it is a bit more tiring to drive than my 944.

Get the picture? You gotta decide what matters most acceleration, handling, ride, comfort, noise, usable hatch, etc.

Both are great cars, both are different cars. Old 944 or new Camry? It's the same question as yours isn't it?

Good luck
Old 06-12-2001, 04:37 PM
fletch.
Instructor

I see the war already…..

Interesting Ad, a couple of comments. First the 85 vette is the second worst year you can possibly get (in the later body). The 84 and 85 model was total garbage, from fit and finish to the crossfire injection. They are well known for being rattle boxes, and the body will never be crack free. At the time it was well documented that GM rushed that car to market, unfinished and many systems untested. The improvement from the earlier body was amazing, but a yugo was a step up from the 82 vette.

It’s a miracle GM has stayed in business as long as they have. GM consistently makes the worst, most undesirable cars on the planet. Besides the new vette (which is awesome) and the truck I can't think of a product GM makes. GM is not a mark I would like in my garage.
Old 06-12-2001, 04:54 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
What year and how many miles does your 944 have? An 85 Vette with 17K is a rare thing. Having said that, I remember a friend and I driving his father's brand new '84 Vette when I was in college. It was a rattletrap brand new. The C4 did not really get good until '88/'89.

Handling wise I do not think there is a comparison. The Vette might squeeze out a few hundredths of a G more, but that is mostly a function of oversize (and expensive) tires and forearm strength. The 944 will run rings around it in most circumstances. But I agree with most of the other posts - you are comparing apples and oranges.

The answer probably lies in a back to back drive and a realistic appraisal of the condition and mileage of both cars.
Old 06-12-2001, 04:55 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Red face

Duh. You 944 is obviously an '83.
Old 06-12-2001, 05:19 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Talking

Yeah, it's an 83 with 119,000 miles on it. The paint job is going bad(loss of some clear coat and all these white spots on one side). The seats are in rough shape, with a big hole in the drivers side one. And i just had to take it in for some service because it wouldn't start. Don't know how much it's going to cost to fix it.

The vette is in show room condition. I haven't had the opportunity to drive it and that will be the deciding factor. Condition wise the vette takes it.

I know it's not a fair comparision, but it's one i have to make considering both cars. And i figured some more opinions would make the decision easier to make for me.

I love being able to drive my 944 to the edge and not have to worry much about sliding the back end out and wrapping myself around a tree. Then again, i also desire for more power. The vette's also been a long time dream car. I was trying to do this comparision because i would really like the best of both worlds!!! I considered the 951, but the amount i'd want to spend on it i don't have. And to buy one in less than perfect condition is not worth it to me now. I'll spend between 11 and 13 grand on the vette, and the 951s i checked out and wanted were on the order of 18 to 20 grand. If i do do this, I too would probably wanna get another 944 someday. In fact, i'd venture to say i will get another 944 someday. Thanks for all your opinions.
Old 06-12-2001, 05:37 PM
dan b
Intermediate

Exclamation

try this, find a windy road take your 944 down it running agressively and take note of your speed. then take the vette down the same road and TRY to hold the same speed you did in the 944 and compare how they feel.also try running the vette's #'s agenst the 951's all bet your in for a surprise.with the vette vs 944 also consider fuel useage,tire expence,comfert,a backseat,useable cargo area,ease of driving,parkability,and safty. oh ps. a friend of mine is selling his 84' (Z52 handling package equiped) vette to get himself a 951 (he's tired of always being behind mine).
Old 06-12-2001, 05:44 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Ken - 83 944: You can get a good 951 for $11-13K.

Don't buy the Vette if it is going to be that much!
Old 06-12-2001, 07:17 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

a year ago i had a real fine '87 944na.I did like the handling of my car, but i wanted more power.I consired to trade it to '85 Vette.I have an opportunity to test drive this Vette one weekend.Here's few things i discovered: lots of rattles!!! poor breaks,poor handling.My 944na was much better car.The only thing this Vette was better was accleration.I didn't trade my 944na to this Vette, i traded it to my current 951.Now iam satisfied.My 951 is much faster and it is superb to handle and it has olso better brakes.The only GM vechile i have liked was my '57 Bel Air....
Olli
Old 06-12-2001, 07:56 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A, The Car & Driver quote was in 85, after testing the 85.5's revised suspension.

B, The comparison you posted was a Corvette Ad, what else could it have said? Almost any test can be set up to favor any vehicle.

C, Back in the mid 80's, I had a 1980 Scirocco S that could take a (then new) Vette if the test was set up right. In hindsight my 944 wouldn't have held up any better...sorry for the tangent..point is the performance differences are fractional. while the vette's numbers are slightly better, the 944 is much easier to push to its limit while the vette will make you work for it and bite you in the *** if you don't do it right.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:47 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts
Angry

BUY THE VETTE!!!

You won't loose that much money if you take care of it and sell it in a year or two. You can go to JC Taylor or Grundy and get classic car insurance for the Vette and use it as a weekend car. Your 83 944 with 115k has little to no value 2-5K and you might as well keep that as a daily/winter driver. Our co owners might get angry at the next statements that I lifted from Sports Car Market.

The 944 is the mass produced Porsche, and as such has little to no potential as an invstement!!! The Vette on the other hand may not appreciate, but certainly wont depreciate significantly.

An 11k loan is about $225mo for 5 years.

Live the dream while you can (for all of us that haven't/can't, or find reasons not to)

Go to Sports Car Market and look up the auction results. I can get old CPI value guide number if yo need.

Enjoy both cars if you can.

Isn't it "he who dies with the most toys wins", not "he who dies with the best toys"
Old 06-13-2001, 10:11 AM
Ken
Burning Brakes

I would love to get both, but i really can't. I'm scraping just enough money together to consider buying the vette in the first place. And i don't know if i could even get a loan, and even if i could, i've got a year of college left that i don't wanna spend working! What you are saying is good though. I was actually sitting in my car this morning thinking that i could use the vette as a interm car between my 944 and another 944. I just love driving my 944 though. I can't imagine driving anything else. I looked though the classifieds but nothing really peaked my interest. I don't know what it is, i just can't get excited about the 951 nose. It just doesn't speak to me. I was thinking about just fixing up my current car. I just emailed the guy selling the Rimmer supercharger, but i think he already sold it. And it'll take me alot more money than i could plan for to make my car the car of my dreams. And i don't wanna sit on this 944 and pour steady amounts of money into it as it breaks down(anything could break at any second). That's just a waste. Maybe the vette will surprise me when i drive it! We'll have to see this weekend...
Old 06-13-2001, 10:41 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Sounds to me you just want to lay rubber.. Consider going back a few years... say 67-69.. GTO... 390 tripower... can be had for near the same money.. a bit more.. Or just wait another year.. sell the 944 and drive a regular car and put the money up till you can really get what you want.. which is something you have never really stated? what is it you really want? IF you really want a vette.. as I can understand there are way better ones than an 85 and they will appreciate in value... I'm partial to the 69 or 70....good luck.

Quick Reply: 83 944 vs. 85 Vette