Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt engine shelf life - assembly lube etc

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002 | 02:33 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Post Rebuilt engine shelf life - assembly lube etc

If I start rebuilding my 968 engine now, how soon will I have to finish?

Also, how long can it wait to be transplanted once it is rebuilt?

Thank You,

Tabor
Old 01-25-2002 | 03:02 AM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

On another note, I learned today that if you have injectors cleaned/blueprinted, you need to use them within 10 days or they may stick closed. After three months, only one of four stuck closed.
Old 01-25-2002 | 11:12 AM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Wow, I'm glad I didn't know there was a shelf-life issue on stuff like this. I had my 944 off the road for - had to be a good 6 months at least, maybe more like 9. Granted, it sat around disassembled for most of that time. But after everything was back together, it started right up on whatever gas was left in the tank, and has driven great ever since. The injectors were cleaned and balanced right before I finished so there wasn't an issue there - although now that I think back, injector #3 did stick closed for a while. #3 was missing after I started the car, and it had spark. It just started working after running for a few minutes though. My ECU was on the way out though, so that might have played a role.

But to summarize, as long as you're not talking on the order of years, I don't think there's an issue. I spent many months and didn't have any problems.

Bryan
Old 01-25-2002 | 02:33 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

My motor will sit on the engine stand for a few months while I paint the car. As long as it is kept clean, and you close up the intake and exhaust so nothing gets in there, you should be fine.

As far as the injectors.. I am suprised that you need to use them within 10 days or they stick. Must be some of the cleaning agent they use. I would fill the injector with good gas and seal them as well as possible. This way moisture cannot get in and screw things up.
Old 01-26-2002 | 09:34 AM
adie
Pro

Way to go perry, sorry, I've been away for a while snowboarding, I guess you got to keep the car and insurance money. No point giving up eh! you don't see women giving up 8 months into pregnancy, or parachutist's (if there's such a word) giving up half way down, glad you decided to keep the car.
On the engine front if you use assembly paste instead of lube you can store for months, some of the race engines sit all year on a shelf, especially the MG midget ones, I just get a call when one blows and go and put another one in that's on the shelf. Using OEM lube like cam lube tends to run off and loose it's run up abillity, moly paste mixed 50/50 with engine oil also works really well with no damage noted after dyno strip down, just make sure you change the oil after running in due to swarf, and there will be some on new components.
Old 01-26-2002 | 10:10 AM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Tabor, first, keep the dust out of it, especially after you've put assemly lube on things. Second, try to avoid storing it in a place with a combination of high humidity & large temperature swings.

Jim, this ain't something you want to rush thru...
Old 01-26-2002 | 02:52 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Thanks!

Just to get this clear, I should use moly assembly paste or a 50% moly assembly paste/50% oil mixture?
Old 01-26-2002 | 07:28 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good point on the assembly lube VS paste.

Tabor - Lubro Moly LM48 should be just fine. That is what I am going to use.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt engine shelf life - assembly lube etc