Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest way to lower S2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
This isn't really the way to go.

1. The car already has understeer from the factory
2. You are adding more understreer with stiffer front springs
3. You are adding even more understeer by lowering the front 1-1/2in

The eccentric will maybe give you 3/4in lowering at the rear but without changing the torsion bars and reindexing your car will lose some of its good handling characteristics.

Yes it's a pain but not really complicated, just have to read and understand what you are doing beforehand. The first time you do it you end up doing it twice so it normally takes all day. Plenty of write-ups on how to do it and it can be done without a lift on jack stands. Plus it's very satisfying getting it right and a sort of right of passage on our cars . GL
I must interject on this. I'm not trying to start an argument on setup and under steer/oversteer, but if it was as simple as raising or lowering the front of a car to make it under steer or over steer, every car from the factory would "according to this" have its nose slammed to the ground; because every car comes with over steer. Over/under steer is a combo of spring rate, camber, caster, ride hight, damper rate, sway bar, etc, etc, etc. to say that lowering the car an inch will drastically change the way the car handles is a gross exaggeration. even if the op notices more under steer than before in highway driving, he can simply counteract it with a decent alignment.
There is form and there is function, and if you do thins right you can have both; for street driving. If this was a track set up post the comments posted would be totally different.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lowering the front increases weight at the front and adds to understeer.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/susp-15.htm

You are quite correct though, on the street you really won't feel much of a difference and it will probably feel just as good as stock. I was just adding technicalities to the mix
Still a little confused, trying to understand the concept.

and by NO MEANS meant to take this thread in a different direction, sorry OP!

Clark seems to be contradicting in these statements

1:
Conversely, if the suspension is set up so that, during cornering more weight is shifted to the outside front tire than the outside rear tire, then the front tire will have more grip during cornering than the rear tire. So, the rear tire will lose traction before the front. This is referred to as oversteer or as the car being "loose".
2:
Understeer Corrections
Remove weight from the front Add weight to the rear
^so he says if the car is heavier in the rear it will oversteer? So having the car lower in rear than front will oversteer?
Old 08-31-2013, 03:55 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's all good guys, I'm learning along the way.

I like the idea of just adding the lowering springs to the front to bring it down a bit, but I'd like the rear to be just as simple and with little complications. Simple remove and replace works for me!
Old 08-31-2013, 08:24 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Simplest way for the rear is just doing the spring plate eccentric bolt adjustment. Here's how:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...tric-bolt.html

Some more info on it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...tric-bolt.html
Old 09-01-2013, 10:31 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

put torch on coils, heat them up and sit on car...it lowers I for just the price of gas in the tanks. granted I highly suggest not doing this as heat will create a weak point in the coil and can cause it to break
Old 09-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Chad T
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by veleno
Chad, do you have a side shot with the camera at a lower angle?

Do you know what's involved with the eccentric adjustment?

re-indexing the tb sounds more complicated and not being able to get both sides equal can't be good right?
If you lower with the eccentrics you should get the car corner balanced which has been done with my car. Here is a pic from the side.

This isn't really the way to go.

1. The car already has understeer from the factory
2. You are adding more understreer with stiffer front springs
3. You are adding even more understeer by lowering the front 1-1/2in
Agreed. Not the ideal setup but the springs are soft. I can't imagine the stock springs being a whole lot softer than 200 lb/in? Car also has Koni yellows. Has way more grip than can be safely used on the street but I have pushed it hard a couple times and it is fairly neutral with a hint of oversteer when it starts to slide. I'm sure it would be different on a track and this is by no means a track setup.

It does sit a bit higher in the back but not terribly. Like I said not ideal and not what I would probably choose if I were doing the suspension but it is a really nice street setup and I will probably not change it unless I can find a way to raise the front back up about 1/2 inch.

Ride is super smooth especially for Konis.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:27 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

The easiest way to lower the S2 is to let air out of the tires. It won't help the handling much though and neither will putting short springs up front. The problem with that is it changes the roll centre. The angle of the front control arms will be upward as will the tie rods and unless you go with very hard springs all around it will handle like a pig and with really hard springs it will rattle the fillings out of your teeth on anything but a mirror road surface.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8
The easiest way to lower the S2 is to let air out of the tires. It won't help the handling much though and neither will putting short springs up front. The problem with that is it changes the roll centre. The angle of the front control arms will be upward as will the tie rods and unless you go with very hard springs all around it will handle like a pig and with really hard springs it will rattle the fillings out of your teeth on anything but a mirror road surface.
This is funny. Glad someone has a sense of humor. You forgot, a grinding wheel cutting a couple inches off the spring works well too.

Quick Reply: Cheapest way to lower S2?