Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intercooler heat...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 09:04 PM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Allow me to add to that. As opposed to "water spray" kits, the MPC kit produces a fine water spray that results in low water consumption and high heat absorption. Water absorbs the most heat during the transition between liquid and vapor form (Latent Heat of Vaporization), and MPC nozzles (and a high pressure, 4 bar pump) produce very fine water droplets (average 55 microns) to promote fast vaporization.

Unless you have a large water supply, merely spraying large water droplets on a hot object is not the most efficient use of water. Large water droplets tend to remain in a liquid form and drip off the object before it can evaporate. A low pressure pump combined with large-orifice water spray nozzles produces a water spray much like .... a windshield washer system. A "low consumption" water spray nozzle consumes many gallons of water/hour (typically 7 gal/hr.). On the other hand, one MPC nozzle consumes only 1.5 gal/hour.

For an intercooler, the MPC system can improve its efficiency about 10-15% (or reduce air temp. 15-20 degrees F). We offer various methods of energizing the nozzle circuit: A driver-controlled switch or optional adjustable boost pressure or adjustable temperature sensitive switches. For increased efficiency, especially for low vehicle speeds, you can add an electric fan (e.g. Spal) to increase vaporization and air flow over the intercooler fins.

Regards,
Sherwood Lee http://www.seinesystems.com
Old 06-16-2001, 11:21 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm convinced that it's a good idea, but before I spend my nickels;

1) How much hp increase can I expect to see with a stock setup
2) What boost levels are possible with it
3) Are replacement parts available

This looks like cheap insurance against detonation.

Dave951M
Old 06-20-2001, 04:39 AM
911pcars
Racer

Dave,
To answer your questions:
1) How much hp increase can I expect to see with a stock setup?
The purpose of an intercooler is to reduce the temperature of the pressurized intake charge. If your intercooler is doing its job, it will allow the engine to produce whatever power the system will produce, but without detonation. MPC can increase IC efficiency but does not add any power unless one were to increase boost pressure to take advantage of the added cooling capacity.

2) What boost levels are possible with it.
Maximum boost pressure is limited by the size of your wallet. What this means is that you can squeeze as much power you want out of a turbocharged engine by merely increasing the boost pressure. The only limitation is the strength of engine parts and whatever you can do to prevent detonation. Remember the Formula 1 turbocharged engines a few years ago? 1000 hp from 1.5 liters; the only limitation was cubic dollars.

3) Are replacement parts available.
Yes. A rebuild kit and parts are available for the pump; plus, all MPC parts are covered by a 1 year limited warranty (track or street application).

This looks like cheap insurance against detonation.
Yes, but not a substitute for a well engineered system. Other cooling uses for MPC as well.

Sherwood Lee www.SeineSystems.com
Old 06-22-2001, 10:57 AM
keith
Drifting

sounds like a great idea... I wonder if there is a combination IC mister/water injection system?

Quick Reply: intercooler heat...