Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

netscape problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 03:23 PM
bs
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry netscape problem

does anyone else have problems accessing these boards with netscape? it used to work fine for me, but since last week, any time i click a link for a particular web board, instead of getting that board, i get a dialog box to save some cgi file. i don't have this problem when using ie.
Old 11-07-2001, 04:32 PM
TomH
Pro

Uhhh, then use IE. didn't you know that Microsoft had won the browser war
Old 11-07-2001, 04:37 PM
scular
Racer

Or you can use Mozilla, or netscape 6.
Old 11-07-2001, 06:19 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use Netscape 4.7x under win98, Linux and Solaris (try that using IE ) with no problems accessing this board.

As for the browser wars, I think of MS = Taliban, and Unix = Northern Alliance -- holding a defensive position but not completely beaten. If we could just get USAF air support...

-Mark 86 944 NA
Old 11-07-2001, 06:32 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

I'm hitting it with NS4 right now and although slow seems to work fine. The fact that it doesn't know how to interpret a cgi file extension sounds to me like the associated file types got whacked. I would try to reinstall NS and see if the problem is resolved. If that doesn't work then I would uninstall and reinstall NS.

FWIW, If you really dislike using MS written software you might want to try Opera. It seems to work very well.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:13 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NS 4.78 works finely.

Thaddeus

"Thinking Bigly"
Old 11-07-2001, 07:18 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Turn this into a flaming about browsers...

Come on old fellas, IE won. From a web design standpoint, I don't think you all know just how much of a pain it is to build an awesome website then view it in Nutscrape and it looks like dung.

If Netscape will just adhere to the standards.... they always seem to be portrayed as the "little guy" (hence, Norther Alliance) - people - they are owned by AOL/Time Warner. Not quite little...
Old 11-07-2001, 07:37 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Originally posted by Matt Olde:
<STRONG>Turn this into a flaming about browsers...

Come on old fellas, IE won. From a web design standpoint, I don't think you all know just how much of a pain it is to build an awesome website then view it in Nutscrape and it looks like dung.

If Netscape will just adhere to the standards.... they always seem to be portrayed as the "little guy" (hence, Norther Alliance) - people - they are owned by AOL/Time Warner. Not quite little...</STRONG>
I don't know about that Matt. Not to add gas to this but NS for all its flakiness does a much better job of adhering to HTML standards than IE. IE doesn't care about well formed HTML. NS will look whacked if the HTML isn't well formed as it should. The crux of the problem is that the majority of developers today didn't cut their teeth on Mosaic or Netscape Gold (long before Hot Java, Opera and IE) which would not even display a page if the html was poorly formed. The tools of today add some massive amounts of crap to a page most of which is either IE specific or completely not needed. I don't mean to say I am a NS lover, far from it but my issues with it are over caching and application flakiness unrelated to how the browser displays the content.

BTW, Mozilla is Netscape - back in the early days, that was how you were supposed to pronounce "NETSCAPE" - what a goofy idea that was.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:44 PM
fletch.
Instructor

Ok I'm in with the browser war....

Netscape is over, it's been over for a couple years. At our site we still have approx 5% that use Natscape, and they have 95% of the problems. I use a Mac most of the time and Mozilla, opera, icab, and IE are a pleasure to use, Netscape will vomit on most complicated pages.

I hate MS as much as the next guy, but hanging on the Netscape is not the answer, try some of the others. Opera and Mozilla are available for winbloz and are even better than IE.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:47 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Netscape 6 is every bit as good as Mozilla 0.9x.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:54 PM
fletch.
Instructor

Netscap adheres to strict standards to it's detriment. If a misplaced character causes the browser to incorrectly display a page that 3 or 4 other browsers can overcome I consider that a problem for Netscape, not a plus for it’s strict loyalty to perfect HTML.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:31 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Netscape 6 crashed on 3 seperate installation tries on two different computers, on running 98 and one ME. Go figure. After it finally installed properly it crashes when I run the program. Therefore, I revert back to NS4.5 for design purposes.

Not good HTML? I disagree. They won't let you nest more then 4 tables before it starts to slow, and at 5 or 6 it's done for. I don't think that's bad design work. I also don't think you need that many, but really, should it crash the users' computer?

Funniest thing I ever saw was back when I was die-hard Nutscrape fan even Nutscrape.com would sometimes looked like crap. This isn't about making your site using "only notepad" because frankly, that's stupid. Therefore they need to keep up with the times, plain and simple.

FYI: MSN.com freezes up in Netscape - go figure.

Take a peek at this: http://www.projectseven.com/grafitti...2001/index.htm

-Matt
Old 11-07-2001, 09:19 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Originally posted by Matt Olde:
<STRONG>Netscape 6 crashed on 3 seperate installation tries on two different computers, on running 98 and one ME. Go figure. After it finally installed properly it crashes when I run the program.

Not good HTML? I disagree. They won't let you nest more then 4 tables before it starts to slow, and at 5 or 6 it's done for. I don't think that's bad design work. I also don't think you need that many, but really, should it crash the users' computer?

-Matt</STRONG>
Both of these examples are what I am referring to when I say it is flakey. I don't think anyone can argue that NS 4+ is way flakey. When I say that I have a lack of appreciation for IE's handling of td tags that don't have an end tag, tables that don't end, elements not in forms, multiple end tags to only one begining tag, stuff like that I think is detrimental and I wish IE didn't have a "oh well" parser that accepts that stuff.

As for writing HTML in textpad or whatever, this is not an argument I find remotely accurate. Its a text based language plain and simple. I am not telling you to write Java in textpad but damn, if you are a Java developer you sure better be able to write it with a pen and paper less you aren't a Java developer. Same goes for Perl and C and undoubtedly XML and HTML in my humble opinion.

I can't tell you how much I hate cleaning up the crap that someone did using Dream Weaver or Front Page. HTML editors going back as far as NaviPress have always been terribly bad at adding unneeded tags and horrible at formatting anything that looks like a developer did the work.

I'd suggest that writing "static" html is behind the times.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:39 PM
bs
Pro

well, i won't pretend to know as much about the guts of my browsers as some of you guys; i stopped caring about all that stuff when the web stopped being cool. i'll just say that i like netscape better for stupid, simple reasons: pages look cleaner and you can get rid of the stupid "illiterate safe" graphics on the toolbar buttons. the right-click menu is better and it sends your browsing records to aol, not microsoft.

and honestly i think that a lot of the netscape "flakyness" is attributable to microsoft programmers (not engineers--writing code is NOT engineering) putting malicious behaviour into their web server, proxy, and java code. ever tried using hotmail with netscape? it's many times slower. yeah, this could be because netscape sucks, but i'm inclined to beleive that somewhere a bunch of programmers reverse engineered netscape and figured out how to write java that would slow it down, put said code into hotmail (which runs on UNIX computers, btw... NT is still to slow) and then specifically designed ie to be immune to that. i'm sure the same thing goes on with every firewall i have to go through and all those microsoft web servers.
Old 11-08-2001, 12:23 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Having written proxy servers, I know that Netscape conforms to HTTP standards far better than IE.

Also, having written web pages, I know that versions of Netscape that pre-date 6.0 release (NOT THE BETA VERSIONS) do not handle CSS worth a damn.

Quick Reply: netscape problem