Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skip - tell me about Koni rebuilds...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 10:45 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Skip - tell me about Koni rebuilds...

Hey Skip - here's a question for you -
What do you know about rebuilding/revalving Konis?
My '89 M030 struts are sucking air on rebound, so it's time for a rebuild... Also, I am moving up to 350#/30mm within a year, so should I get them revalved at this time? Or does the Koni adjustment cover that? What happens if I revalve and drive on factory springrates in the meantime? How much does this cost? etc., etc...
Old 11-07-2001, 03:05 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nothing like putting me on the spot

I know enough about revalving shocks to know that I would never attempt it at home... oh, you weren't asking that, sorry

First, are they OE/used shocks, or purchased in the aftermarket? If the latter, you may be able to get warranty service. Contact Koni-na.

For revalving, we send folks directly to Koni-na. Probably talk to Gordon or Jay. 859-586-4100 or Contact Koni

As a general rule, the standard Koni Sport is able to keep up with 400# spring rates (remember to use actual spring rates when talking shock valving, not effective or wheel rates). Anything higher than that, and you should look for custom valving. That said, if you are revalving and know the desired spring rate you will be using, you might as well have them valved for that specifically. All they need to know is the approximate corner balance weight (or overall weight) and spring rate.

Riding on custom valved shocks for a while should not create any real problems... but it would be best to do this all at once (if not just to save the cost and hassle of disassembling and aligning again)

On other note, if the shock problem is not covered under warranty, you may find that revalving is less value than waiting for the new strut tube inserts due by the end of this month ($150ea)

Good Luck!
Old 11-07-2001, 04:57 PM
keith
Drifting

They are the M030 koni adjustables with ride height adjustment from factory. Why gut a good thing to make insert shocks out of them?
I'm gonna have to get some special lower perch from Jason to run the Hypercoils on 'em, though...
Old 11-07-2001, 05:05 PM
keith
Drifting

oh -sorry about putting you on the spot - guess I shoulda used the message feature...
Old 11-07-2001, 06:53 PM
VectorGuy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, I just had my rear Koni's rebuilt by Koni for my 89 951. Unfortunately, the experience was not a totally positive one. For starters, they'll tell you upfront the turnaround time, and it's not short. I think it was like 2 months when I did it. Secondly, the price varies with what needs done. I spent about $250 to have the rears done. I'm not positive, but I think you can get replacement parts for near that $$ and not wait 2 months for them. I didn't price replacements, so I'm not sure about that. Anyway, if you are going this route, get them shipped ASAP when you store the car (if you do) as to have them back before the thaw.

Good Luck
Old 11-07-2001, 06:59 PM
VectorGuy
Intermediate

Angry

A quick peek at Paragon verified my suspicions, $114 each for the rears. I paid more for a rebuild than new ones cost, plus had my car off the road for two months.

Bastages!!!
Old 11-07-2001, 07:29 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Skip, does that mean that you can only go up to a 27mm rear torsion bar with the koni yellows?
Old 11-07-2001, 08:10 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good point... I see your math...

Not really, the effective rate being applied to the shock should be nearer to that of that actual effective rate. I assume you think the the number for the T-bars are knocked down to 54% effective at the shock, or that the shock in that position is only 54% effective. Not really... those number only apply to the coil-over spring capabilities, but I admit I don't know the actual effective percentage or ratio of the T-bar to the shock. Keep in mind the front an rear shocks may be valved differently to achieve the same overall capacities... these specs would be known in advance by the engineering folks at Koni or any other shock shop. All this said, the Koni Sport is good on the rear for T-bars up to 30-31mm (335-382# effective).

I have the sports with my 30mm bars and it works just dandy
Old 11-08-2001, 04:39 PM
keith
Drifting

so Koni says $135.00 each to rebuid/revalve - I believe this is cheaper than replacement (not available?).

Wouldn't make sense for the rears, though...

They also stated 6-8 weeks...
Old 11-09-2001, 07:04 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If you have a M030 strut that is in need of repair, I'd recommend rebuilding that unit. We usually have several sets going back and forth to Koni so you don't have any down time waiting for your units to be rebuilt. Our standard procedure is to have the struts rebuilt, revalved stiffer AND converted to double adjustable. We will charge a bit more than Koni does but quite frankly, after shipping to and from... it's not much more. Paragon Products jason@paragon-products.com

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com

Quick Reply: Skip - tell me about Koni rebuilds...