Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust system question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 01:04 AM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post exhaust system question

right now i have msds headers and a custom exhaust...its too loud for what i want on that car.....

what i was think was putting the oringinal headers back on...and since there 2 separate headers, run dual exhaust....

i thought of the problem that can occur...

what i am wondering is if this is a good idea and what will the sound be like...

i dont know if this would help, but i plan on supercharging it here shortly..

thanks,
space
Old 11-07-2001, 04:01 AM
instigator
Racer

i would leave the headers on and do somthing else down stream. if you do decide to change them out how about selling me your header real cheap like. BTW how old is your exhaust setup?
Old 11-07-2001, 10:03 AM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Talking

You can try a muffler bearing or a muffler filter. That may work. You can get them at www.kalecoauto.com

Goodluck
Old 11-07-2001, 10:57 AM
scular
Racer

I saw in summit's last issue a little gizzmo to weld inside the exhaust that is supposed to make your engine sound quiter, ~$50. Looks to be just a flow disruptor. The web site for the company is
Car Chemistry
they call it CC Insert. It might be worth a look, was considering them for a 454 I just built, but the sound is just to great to hide.
Old 11-07-2001, 11:29 AM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Space... you've been under the car, right? Think long and hard about finding room under there for a dual system, while maintaining enough ground clearacne to get over speed bumps.... It can likely be done, but will require some creative routing of pipes.

Just an opinion: I doubt that changing back to the factory header is going to reduce the noise much, since it's steel tubing and not cast iron.

But good luck ,and it'd make a great web page if you can fit duals. I expect every na owner here would potentially be interested in seeing it.

Jim, to work!
Old 11-07-2001, 12:52 PM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

the exhaust system is only 3 months old....if i sell them, i'll sell everything to the muffler...i would suggest getting a different one to your style....

i wanted more of a indy sound but i cant find anything to give me that noise...now all i have is the annoying buzzing sound that some rice burners make....the factory exhasut was quite and i liked it....my subaru has a boxer motor in it and sounds real good...loud also...but i like that....

i figure you can make the room...
from the shop i got the exhaust, its oringinal setup was like 1.75 inches...i have a 2.5 inch setup now...and if your running 2 pipes from each header, 1 inch pipe for each header should be good....

the reason i got 2.5 inch pipe was i have a supercharger for the car right now....i wanted to open it up a tad....but i didnt expect it to be that loud....

it will be down the road before i start the dual exhaust thing...find out if its possible or not....right now i have to replace my tranny...

thanks,
space
Old 11-07-2001, 09:41 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
I got the B&B Carbon Fibre straight thru race muffler from Julian Allen. I was quite afraid it would be too loud, and not sound like a B&B.

I am extremly happy with it. More than happy.. I would buy another tomorrow if it was my 1st mod.

It is very very quiet for a straight thru, almost close to stock. It is loud as hell when I am in full boost. It has an indy type sound, but it is very very low. You can really hear the large displacement and I am sure it would sound better on the NA. The turbo sucks up much of the exhaust pulses.

The idle sound has a nice thump to it, and a definate back perssure pop when you are on a quick decel, or coasting while still on the pedal.

I think this is closer to what you want. New I think they are a Grand, but you easily will have that into a dual system that is of good quality.
Old 11-08-2001, 12:10 AM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

well i have good connection at exhaust shops where i can get a decent setup...the thing is, your is carbon fiber....nice setup...i figure i'll got for a aluminized first and see how it goes...if all is good, i'll get it stainless....

the stainless may cost around 1000....

do you have pics of your exhaust?
and when you say indy sound, you mean the high pitch tone they make?
last, do they connect to the stock exhaust headers?

thanks,
space
Old 11-08-2001, 12:22 AM
kevin Dubois
Racer

running two 1" pipes would only give you 1.57 in^2 of a cross section of the exhaust pipeS. running one pipe that is 1.5" diameter will be better then the two 1" pipes (1.767in^2). so with the 2.5" exhaust you are by far (over 3x better) going to get the most amount of ehaust flow (4.909 in^2). hope that helps with chosing an exhaust setup=)
Old 11-08-2001, 12:38 AM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

true but you have half the exhaust gases going through each pipe then you do in the other setups?
wouldnt that account for something?

thanks,
space
Old 11-08-2001, 01:09 AM
kevin Dubois
Racer

no because that value i gave you was for BOTH pipes... each pipe individually would yeild only .785 in^2, which is around 6 times less cross sectional area then the 2.5" pipe but sinse you want to run 2 1" pipes then you only have 3 times less cross sectional area which still sucks, it is less then stock.

hehe good example would be to take a coffee straw, the kind with two skinny pipes, and stick it in your mouth and blow... now stick a regular straw and do the same thing... which is easier? with the setup you are planning on running your going to want a pretty free flowing exhaust aka the 2.5" pipe.
Old 11-08-2001, 06:01 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
I'll see what I can do about getting some pics and sound from it later this afternoon and posting. Check back before the 8pm chat at Pelican.

Quick Reply: exhaust system question