Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need to microwave my Electrical Gremlins...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 11:38 AM
PSUice944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face I need to microwave my Electrical Gremlins...

...Espically because they aren't serious, just terribly annoying!

OK, the situation:
My cabin fan likes to come on or stay on without the keys in the ignition. Note that this is completely at random! I turn the car off and the blower is still going and "jiggling" the ignition on and off will usually eventually get it to stop. And the fun part is when the blower kicks on at complete random and drains my battery... espically overnight, making my morning commute to work all the more fun.

Now part two:
I have replaced the relay for the said cabin blower fan located in the fuse box, and this headache is still occuring, meaning that somehow the climate control brain is malfunctioning? Plus I hear from my mechanic that used climate brains go for a sickening pretty penny (enough for me to rig it into a kill switch, vs. replacement)

I need some help! This has recently mostly killed a cell in my battery I think (like no CCAs, and low held voltage ~10v). I've had enough, need to replace the battery, and don't want to kill a new one.

Someone must have had this problem before?

Thanks for any help on this, I'm about to get a BFH on my ride...
Old 06-05-2001, 12:03 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would look at the ignition switch. These wear out and get sloppy especially if you have a heavy key chain with a bunch of doodads on it. If that is it, I think there are places that can re-key the new switch, though that is the most tricky of all the locks.

I don't know what the climate control brain would have to do with it if the car is supposed to be off.
Old 06-05-2001, 12:10 PM
fletch.
Instructor

Very common for the A/C climate control to fail. This is a Hella unit and of very poor quality. I have never heard of a failure that keeps the system on with ignition off, do any of the other systems inside still work as well?
Old 06-05-2001, 12:10 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I just replaced the ignition switch on my 968 which I think is the same as an 85 1/2 later 944.
You don't replace the keyed part, there is a part that goes behind the key that screws on that is replaced. My symptoms were different, I could crank the car and the climate control and fan would not work, but I could wiggle the key and get them to come on. The part # for my car was 944 613 024 01 This may not be your problem, but if you can wiggle the key and make it quit then I would think there is a good probability. I paid around $50 for the new switch.

[ 05-06-2001: Message edited by: Charlie ]
Old 06-05-2001, 12:11 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

The ignition Key is the gate way, so to say to most electrical things in a car.. Thus jiggiling the key causes it to stop. I would say that your ignition switch is faulty... Wait till you see the price on that.. This is usually caused by having a heavy amount of wieght on your ignition key ring. IT wears out the the ignition key hole and causes shorts...
Old 06-05-2001, 12:36 PM
PSUice944
Pro

Lightbulb

And now this gets a teeny bit more interesting. I didn't have this problem till after my car was overhauled this past fall (whole motor due to a #2, quite another story).

Included in the overhaul, my mechanic was having problems starting it consistently, chaced the problem all through the car to the ignition. He found it, well, old and showing it. I believe he replaced that "end cap" as described above? I'm sure he'll LOVE to hear me tell him to check his work!

Perhaps I would be best served looking at this myself? I've delved into the instrument cluster and stereo before, but the ignition would be a new adventure.

Thoughts all? Thanks so much for your help. I hope it isn't the brain!
Old 06-05-2001, 12:39 PM
PSUice944
Pro

Oh, and no other noticeable systems stay on inside the car. Shame the "0" on the fan switch doesn't really mean completely off, then this would be an easier fix for now.
Old 06-06-2001, 08:21 PM
Louishn
Track Day

not 100% about this, but you might try cleaing the connector on the blower motor resistor under the plastic shroud under the hood where the blower motor is. this connector is sort of funky, and I suppose if it is grounding itself somewhere it could turn on the fan....have you noticed any other problems with the fan, like it not coming on except high speed?????, but with the engine job, unless the tech new his stuff, he could have wired something else up to the blower through another relay....see if something else is not working right

Quick Reply: I need to microwave my Electrical Gremlins...