Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 flat-6 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 02:21 AM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL once again another v8 guy trying to destroy a thread. Don't get me wrong, I think the v8 swap is cool and plan on doing it one day. But I'm not going to post in threads saying how much better it is. Cuz its not.

Heres one for you...
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...r-project.html

Originally Posted by admiralkhole
Please, show me any OEM+ engine configuration that has a better ratio of hp per $...Please feel free to add in any other variable also such as availability on demand, weight, boost, displacement. I realize anything is possible with copious amount of money too. There's also such a thing as "reliable power". Ask anyone that runs any Porsche engine, and then ask anyone that runs a swap...There's a reason people do the swaps they do....and quite frankly, the v8 swap is the leader in 944 swaps. Staying "in the family"? Pffft...this isn't a 911 and I'd rather exploit my chassis for how well it can handle the power I give it. I've done the OEM thing, now I push the car to a more deserving level.

What have you done? Please share.
Anyways... back on topic. That flat 6 turbo swap is awesome. The exterior isnt so awesome though

Last edited by MooreBoost; 08-05-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:36 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I mean it redlines in 5th almost like it does in 3rd or 4th
btw, on the detrimental idea...it broke a 944NA diff on a hard climb.

thanks, no engine bay pics tho.

What do you mean by "maxes out the gearbox"? The 951S AOR is very robust...I don't see how your setup could could be detrimental to the trans. It can take 500+hp.

Nice car by the way I dig it...got any engine bay shots?
Old 08-05-2013, 08:15 AM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MooreBoost
LOL once again another v8 guy trying to destroy a thread. Don't get me wrong, I think the v8 swap is cool and plan on doing it one day. But I'm not going to post in threads saying how much better it is. Cuz its not.

Heres one for you...
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...r-project.html

Anyways... back on topic. That flat 6 turbo swap is awesome. The exterior isnt so awesome though
How did I try and destroy the thread? I provided pictures of a flat 6 swap and engaged in meaningful discussion...isn't that what forums are for? I love all kinds of builds and swaps....did you miss the part where I said I'd like to build a supercharged 2.5 for daily use? Did you miss the part where I said I enjoyed the other member's build? And how I stated the v8 swap worked for me in my situation? Lol another selective hearing contributor stuck in his ways...

And if the v8 swap isn't better, why have so many people done it? Why are there books about it? Why are there parts being made to convert? Think about what you say before you blindly display your disposition. We got on the topics of swaps....of course the v8 I'd going to come up, deal with it.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:30 AM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by morghen
I mean it redlines in 5th almost like it does in 3rd or 4th
btw, on the detrimental idea...it broke a 944NA diff on a hard climb.

thanks, no engine bay pics tho.
Awesome, what was your top speed?
I've also broken an NA diff...lifted a rear wheel in a tight corner and slammed it down =(
Old 08-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

....Please, show me any OEM+ engine configuration that has a better ratio of hp per $...
um I got my motor included with the car so 275 HP for free is an excellent hp/$ Sorry just thought I would try and break the tension a bit

Although I understand why ppl do engine swaps and am impressed by the effort/engineering etc if I wanted a flat 6 I would have bought a 911 or a 914/6 and if I wanted a V8 I'd have bought a ford or a holden (local GM) so I really don't get it, even though I can admire the work. Good to see something other than usual V8 swap and the rear engine swap would sure shut the purists up lol so thanks for sharing that one.

911 guy *what do you drive ?*
944 guy "a 944"
911 guy *you know real Porsches are air cooled with the engine in the back ?*
944 guy "yeah mine has an air cooled rear engine"
Old 08-05-2013, 09:15 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome, what was your top speed?
I've also broken an NA diff...lifted a rear wheel in a tight corner and slammed it down =(
I only drove that fast once -on the german autobahn, I was able to read the tacho, approx 6100-6300 rpm
With 225/45/17 tires and the 16S gearbox, that means @163-168mph / 262-270km/h

Honestly i dont think people choose the V8 conversion beacause its better...better is a wrong description...I think people do it because of these reasons:

1. cheap(er) than rebuilding your 2.5/3L engine after the belt snapped
2. easy(er) to get more power than swapping 951 bits into your 944 or improving your 944/951/968.
3. sound

If i were to dump a V8 in my car, those would be my arguments.
Before i did the M31 conversion i considered a 300hp mercedes V8 engine swap...i could have had the merc V8 for a few hundreds and fabricate the parts to keep it in the car while operating.

I realised reliability would probably go to ****(i'm not better than the engineers at an OEM offices)
Homologation would have been out of the question...so keeping the car registered would have been impossible.
Fuel consumption would have been absurd...ok..if you drive a decent V8 slowly you will probably get acceptable fuel consumption..but...you DONT drive a V8 converted sports car slowly...

i do enjoy looking at engine swap projects tho...an F6 would be great in the 924/944/968...but not in the front...nor in the back....a mid engine configuration with a boxster engine would be perfect
Old 08-05-2013, 01:44 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina

horrid;

f_ck running that awful, Porsche vibrator shaking every other moving and stationary part--to death....

i went too far on this post. i was totally awful with that one. completely out of line.

the truth is, more like:

i'm blessed with having one of the best sounding 4 cylinder engines on earth.... letting the variocam breathe through straight pipe, then running right combination of resonator/mufflers (the third attempt at finding the right setup), then playing it on the highway with the windows down at 3,200 rpm (80 mph). the sound is so utterly amazing. i wish you all could drive her on a trip down the parkway and see the feedback from the gawkers, endless thumbsup, etc.

i know i'm going to miss that sound a lot. but i also know the V8 will sound very close to exotic with the combination of headers, big y-pipe, SLP or Magnaflow resonator and finally the huge magnaflow at the rear.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
It is RHD with euro/row side markers so probably somewhere in Europe

Looks LHD to me.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:07 AM
16valver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to drive a V8 swapped car sometime. I've personally never liked the concept of Chevy power in a Porsche, but sometimes its the only logical direction to go.

Just the other day I was trying to put words on why exactly I'm not a huge fan. I think I've become attached to the sound and feel of these painfully euro, rumbly, low octave, big displacement 4 cylinder power plants. Especially these all-top-end double slammers...

I'm starting to run some numbers on a rebuild in order to pick up some displacement and refresh some of these 26 year old parts... It will be exponentially cheaper than a well tied down LS. Thats for sure. The LS car that pulls on me on the highway will be exponentially faster...but thats ok. I'll still have a somewhat obscure 80's sports car and thats all that matters!!
Old 08-06-2013, 05:07 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Looks LHD to me.
You are correct. I was looking at top pic(on my net book) and thought it was RHD but looking again can't really tell from that pic but looking at 2nd pic, now I can see steering box on LHS in engine bay. It has euro side markers behind front wheel so I would guess Germany but could be a few Euro countries with that set up.

Quick Reply: 944 flat-6 swap?