Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 flat-6 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 11:08 AM
McCrazy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be a great car once you get the inevitable wrinkles ironed out. I always liked the 968 but wished they had more power. Sounds like you solved that problem in spades.

Had a guy I went to high school with who had a 914 with a small block Chevy, but that isn't exactly unique.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:14 AM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AWESOME.

Please post a build thread when fine, I'd love to see. Mine isn't as costly as yours, but I'm almost finished with my swap as well.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:20 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Rear engined flat four powered 924

Old 08-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When you mentioned this car I was picturing a cool turbo subaru swap making some decent power...not a air cooled vw swap. Why? Seems like a downgrade considering all the work, and what it could have been. I would have taken the opportunity and thrown a massaged WRX motor in and

Also now the balance of the car is messed up, doh! Is that car using a type 4 tranny?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:30 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

I have no info on it but I'd imagine so.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:38 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by admiralkhole
Found them...looks like a 3.6

Twin plug. I wonder how easy it is to change plugs on a twin-plug 993 engine that's in a 944 engine bay. Sounds - erm, easy!

He fixed the 944 oiling problem though, I think. Now why didn't he put an oil fill door in the front fender!?

Silliness aside, very cool. Lots of work went into that. But - no firewall gasket and a duct leading (presumably) to the interior? Hmm.

Originally Posted by divil
Wow! All that trouble, and then they go and put it in backwards...
Unless you're referring to the end of the car it's in, there is only one way it can (reasonably) go!

Take care,

Last edited by FrenchToast; 08-03-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:54 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
When you mentioned this car I was picturing a cool turbo subaru swap making some decent power...not a air cooled vw swap. Why? Seems like a downgrade considering all the work, and what it could have been. I would have taken the opportunity and thrown a massaged WRX motor in and

Also now the balance of the car is messed up, doh! Is that car using a type 4 tranny?
i can think of so many reasons.....why is power everything to you?

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Twin plug. I wonder how easy it is to change plugs on a twin-plug 993 engine that's in a 944 engine bay. Sounds - erm, easy!
and on the 993 is easyer?
Old 08-03-2013, 09:51 AM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by morghen

i can think of so many reasons.....why is power everything to you?
An engine swap is usually done for 3 reasons....more power, better reliability, and a display of one's mechanical/engineering skills...more so the former. While a type IV can put down some power, it is much much easier with an ej25T. My guess is that the owner wanted something somewhat nostalgic and "in there family"...and now he'll get snap oversteer lol.

There is nothing wrong with more power, some of us can handle it

Different cars are built for different reasons. Are you going to knock me for my v8 swap because I wanted more power?
Old 08-03-2013, 10:31 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

no, everybody does the engine swap for their own....but if you want more power from a 924, buy a 924 turbo....or if you want more power from a 944, buy a 951 and upp the boost.
if you want a different sound...thats another story...but power can be had with the oem engines.

i'm just saying the guy wanted to "stay in the family" and to create something unique and actually artistic...I love to just look at that engine trough that big hatch.
He can say he has a unique engine transplanted 924...you cant
Old 08-03-2013, 11:27 AM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

He can also say he's seen the front of my car and my *** after I lap him over and over

While I agree, his swap is very visually appealing...I have put my version of art in my own car by designing and fabricating my own custom parts as well as modifying existing parts.

Please, show me any OEM+ engine configuration that has a better ratio of hp per $...Please feel free to add in any other variable also such as availability on demand, weight, boost, displacement. I realize anything is possible with copious amount of money too. There's also such a thing as "reliable power". Ask anyone that runs any Porsche engine, and then ask anyone that runs a swap...There's a reason people do the swaps they do....and quite frankly, the v8 swap is the leader in 944 swaps. Staying "in the family"? Pffft...this isn't a 911 and I'd rather exploit my chassis for how well it can handle the power I give it. I've done the OEM thing, now I push the car to a more deserving level.

What have you done? Please share.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:44 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

the day I purchased my 968 in 2008 I could have sold my engine for $4.0 k easily...

glory;

then had good rebuilt LS1 for about $16 k installed for a net of about $12 k.... and driven it for 300,000~350,000 miles (once swapping in the .600 6th gear for super-low rpm @ highway cruising, and along the way; replacing the lifters, springs, pushrods and H20 pumps every 60 k miles, swapping back rebuilt AC pumps, doing a few tune ups, and changing the oil)...

driven that 300 k miles for thousands of dollars less than attempting it with the 968 engine, had a 180 mph sleeper that would annihilate 99.997% of every other thing on the road, than popped a quick re-build at 300 k miles.

horrid;

f_ck running that awful, Porsche vibrator shaking every other moving and stationary part--to death... getting nickeled and dimed til you'e DEAD.... nobody ever asked to look under my hood. nothing nostalgic going on... mostly nobody knows what a 968 is. much less cares. with the exception of like 4 people (in 5 years), mostly everybody thinks my car is either a 944 or 928 anyway (and that car came with a V8). nobody would have paid a V8 rumble another thought. it's about the driving experience. not posting the next

****box won't start thread.

Last edited by odurandina; 08-03-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:47 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by admiralkhole
He can also say he's seen the front of my car and my *** after I lap him over and over

While I agree, his swap is very visually appealing...I have put my version of art in my own car by designing and fabricating my own custom parts as well as modifying existing parts.

Please, show me any OEM+ engine configuration that has a better ratio of hp per $...Please feel free to add in any other variable also such as availability on demand, weight, boost, displacement. I realize anything is possible with copious amount of money too. There's also such a thing as "reliable power". Ask anyone that runs any Porsche engine, and then ask anyone that runs a swap...There's a reason people do the swaps they do....and quite frankly, the v8 swap is the leader in 944 swaps. Staying "in the family"? Pffft...this isn't a 911 and I'd rather exploit my chassis for how well it can handle the power I give it. I've done the OEM thing, now I push the car to a more deserving level.

What have you done? Please share.

Ditto, Morghen you have never seen my car, much less taken a ride in it. You have no idea how much work has going into it, what it is capable of, or whether it is objectively a work of art or not. You do not know my goals with it, and to blindly assume "power is everything to me" is frankly, well, wrong and a little silly. I've got the suspension, chassis, and brakes to back up the power too It would embarrass that 924 around a race track all day long, which is what I built it for. It is a piece of personal engineering on wheels.

I dont mean anything imflammatory, still definitely a very cool, nostalgic swap.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:19 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

just to offer Morghen a bit of perspective, there's a huge wrecking yard about 2 km from my house.

there aren't a lot of yards in Massachusetts anymore, so i'm really lucky.

they had an all-aluminum 5.3 truck motor recently with 75 k miles, and they wanted $900 incl the wiring harness.

that engine alone beats up on anything and everything in the 4 cylinder world. it might not be as much of a dyno queen as a few big turbos, but it will pull, and pull and pull and pull because of all that power under the curve and all that usable power throughout the rpm band... you put a decent set of headers and big y-pipe on that thing, let it breathe through a straight through resonator/muffler tandem and it's game over. pulling 2,900~3,000 pounds, will allow that engine a lot of life. and always be just a thousand or two dollars from a good rebuild.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:48 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

i understand your points and i'm not saying i disagree...for everyone there is something else that drives them. My car is a swap too...started in life as a 924 NA 125hp and now uses the M31 turbo engine, GTS turbo, 951S gearbox, Carrera GT ECU..etc...it maxes out the gearbox easly....i've done alot too....and honestly...i'm very happy with the result.
So i'm in no way against engine swaps, but when doing a swap you do it for a reason...and that reason must not always point to a V8.

I understand that V8s are actually hanging by the fences in US and you dont pay tax based on engine capacity or pollution..and you got a weird deal that fuel is for some reason MUCH cheaper for you than for the rest of the world...but things are different outside the US.

In the end you build your car to be fast on the track...he built it for the street...and so did i.

BTW, here's my engine swapped car.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:39 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

I can agree with you on everything you say, for the most part.

What do you mean by "maxes out the gearbox"? The 951S AOR is very robust...I don't see how your setup could could be detrimental to the trans. It can take 500+hp.

I know things are different outside the US...I'm not oblivious to other situations. You know the LS series v8's are somewhat efficient? Have you check the pollution and consumption numbers? You'd be surprised.

Also understand I'm not a v8 strictly kind of guy, I've had my fair share of other engine configurations and this one just happens to work extremely well. There's a ton of support for it and it's cost effective, what's not to like?

I was just using the track lapping as a reference, my car is fully streetable and legal...I built it as a fun weekend car that will occasionally see track duty. I was just making a point.

I have also been in contact with other people around the world that are doing v8 swaps as well...it seems as though everyone else is starting to see it as the most viable solution to their needs too.

Nice car by the way I dig it...got any engine bay shots?

Quick Reply: 944 flat-6 swap?