Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper crooked and off center

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:28 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Bumper crooked and off center

I just pulled my front bumper to drill the shocks.

It took some finagling to get it out on the driver side but I got it out and shocks got drilled.

Then when I re-installed it I bolted it back up and pushed it in and only the passenger side pushed in all the way. So I tried to pull it out and try again but only the passenger side will shift now. The driver side is locked up in a partially pushed in state.

No matter how hard I push or pull it won't budge. Should I hook my truck up to it to get it back out? I don't want to damage anything on accident.

Also when I had the passenger side pushed all the way in I noticed the bumper was off center when looking at it from the front. There is a much bigger gap on the passenger side. That may have just been because the bumper was crooked though.

Any thoughts on fixing these issues?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:23 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you saying that the bumper won't come off? Or you have it bolted in and are trying to pull to extend the shocks?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:23 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bigger gap is just because the bumper isn't pushed in all the way on the other side...When I pushed my bumper in I drilled the shocks, then compressed them to an even length, then installed them...you may need a universal (bendy) joint to get at the bolts without screwing up the paint on the valance.

Cheers, and good luck!
Ethan

P.S. You can also use the U-joint to get the bolts out if you're having a problem getting the bumper off.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:55 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Ya the bumper is bolted on but the shock is jammed. I think I may be able to get at the bolt with one of those bendy socket joints so I'll give that a shot.

Once its off though is there an easy way to actuate the shock back out?

I might try sticking some steel rod through the shock's bolt holes and with some foot bracing, give it a solid pull.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:09 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would remove both shocks and try and get them to compress the same amount before reinstalling them.

I'm not sure why there is a fad with destroying the bumper shocks, but please keep in mind that if you bump the front end now your frame is going to take that impact 100%.

Quick Reply: Bumper crooked and off center