Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

skeaky brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 03:30 PM
Ryan Z.
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post skeaky brakes

my brakes squeal mostly when i back up slowly and apply the brakes, but they also do it when i come to a stop slowly(i.e. when i edge forward at a light and such) my mechanic told me that everything was fine.....is that so? anyone else have the same experiences? just getting a second opinion...which is always something good to have w/ these cars.

Ryan Z.
Old 09-09-2001, 03:50 PM
Ryan Z.
Intermediate

"squeaky" brakes.....u know what I mean :->
Old 09-09-2001, 04:05 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car does the exact same thing. You can go to a auto parts store and pick up some anti-squeak stuff. It's a gel type substance that you apply to the brake pad. I don't really know more than that...but I'm sure your mechanic or a auto parts store knows more about it.
Old 09-09-2001, 05:39 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Once again:

"If your brakes don't squeak, that's when something is wrong" - someone commenting on older German performance cars.

-Matt
Old 09-09-2001, 05:53 PM
Ryan Z.
Intermediate

Exclamation

yeah....so i've heard....but i have a '76 BMW 2002 that has never made a noise from the brakes.....and they stop just fine...don't think i've really heard an '02 w/ squeaky brakes...so the rule doesn't seem to apply to the entire fleet of German autos.

Ryan Z.
Old 09-09-2001, 06:59 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

think i've really heard an '02 w/ squeaky brakes...so the rule doesn't seem to apply to the entire fleet of German autos.
Well I have heard some pretty squeaky 2001 911's. For the most part though, the "high class" person who is now buying the Porsche isn't doing so because they love the marque, it's because it's "Porsche". So if the brakes squeak, that's enough to make them not buy it, and P knows this, so for the most part I think they are making their cars more catering to the sort of buyer who actually *cares* about stuff like that, more so then Porsche ever has IMHO.

For instance: my friend's step dad didn't get a Boxster because he did "like" the blinker handle.

They have to really appeal to those buyers so squeaky brakes on a brand new Porsche is pretty much out of the question. Although I'm sure the brakes on the GT2 are pretty hard...

My friends 95 BMW 325ic was pretty squeaky since you mentioned BMW.

-Matt
Old 09-09-2001, 08:57 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 189 Posts
I've had problems with brakes squeaking, and more often actually squealing a pitch. First I got some new "low-squeal" Mintex pads...which don't live up to their claim. Then I went to Autozone and got some radioactive blue looking goop that should've worked, but it didn't. I'm just going to have to live with it, I think. At least they only seem to make noise during certain temperatures, and mostly just after heating up. I've gotten to where I know when they're about to squeal, and can subsequently prevent it by applying pressure differently.
Old 09-09-2001, 09:40 PM
Ryan Z.
Intermediate

when I said "'02" i was refering to the BMW 2002, not the 2002 model year, but i know what u mean Matt. I really don't mind that the p-car squeaks, I just wanted to make sure that it was normal. My mom's other bimmers used to squeak a lot....and my Range Rover squeaked, but only when the pads were bad....so that's why I was checking. Thanks guys.

Ryan Z.
Old 09-09-2001, 11:19 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Cool

I really don't mind that the p-car squeaks
Please know that I was not being rude or insinuating (spell?) that you are one of those people. It was more of a commentary of the brand new Porsche buyer person.

-Matt

I'm not 100%, but I think the harder the brake the more squeak you will have. Hence, racing brakes probably squeak more then a minivan. My favorite answer was from another Rennlister (can't remember who) who says "if you don't want them to squeak, hit 'em like they are supposed to be hit - hard!"

Quick Reply: skeaky brakes