Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strut tower bar I made. What have you made for your P car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:46 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strut tower bar I made. What have you made for your P car?

I just wanted to share this strut tower bar I just completed. I just got it back from my powder coating guy today...thought you guys might want to see. I also made a duplicate for a forum member and friend of mine...he is going to put a finish on his. I'm also curious to see what some of you have made for your car. Show me what you've fabricated!

Fair warning...these are not absolutely perfect...I could have spent A LOT more time on them but given my time restraints, this is what I came up with.

Cut and cleaned up the tower plates...cut with plasma cnc...my own design.

Name:  xWrXOvh.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  63.9 KB

Test fit.

Name:  sTRKdoV.jpg
Size:  64.2 KB

All the pieces together and cleaned up...made by me and cut with plasma cnc

Name:  49mgGYH.jpg
Size:  74.0 KB

Welded up the brackets to the plates.

Name:  OlNC9ml.jpg
Size:  6.1 KB

7/8" Forged Rod end from a CAT tractor

Name:  6DCWZBR.jpg
Size:  44.6 KB

Tig welded the big nut to a 1 1/4" pipe...i know i know needs more heat to fix the undercut...

Name:  xWmIP6n.jpg
Size:  56.0 KB

Name:  hZWP3TM.jpg
Size:  62.3 KB

Back from the powder coater....
here's the deal...I wanted an orange color because I have this itch...I want to do my car up in Gulf racing livery. My car is light metallic blue...Hellblau. It would be perfect. I've always wanted to put racing livery on a street car just for gits and shiggles. So I asked him what orange color he had, and he told me he had a metallic translucent bright orange...I was seeing it as a certain color in my mind...but it turned out like this...and I like it! It's really hard to capture the effects of the color and what it does in the light...check it out.

Name:  W24s0XP.jpg
Size:  54.1 KB

In the light with the flash on

Name:  DvaD2lz.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  89.7 KB

Just background light

Name:  0tCNwLR.jpg
Size:  26.4 KB

with flash

Name:  DIl9L98.jpg
Size:  59.1 KB

Now it's time to go install it! Thanks for looking and I'd love to see what you've done!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:57 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Great installation. It's gotta be so great to have access to all the right parts and tools. I'm envious.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:16 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

would you reproduce the strut tower plates?
Old 07-19-2013, 10:05 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice stack of coins!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Much snazzier than mine! But I always thought that strut tower braces that could pivot at the node (end) left a little to be desired. So I did it like this:
(of course I wrecked that car, and then moved the brace over to the ChumpCar)
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Triple_T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ad,
Did you build that in your bathroom? All those man scents make me think that you have no work bench!!!! :lol
Old 07-19-2013, 10:52 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
Great installation. It's gotta be so great to have access to all the right parts and tools. I'm envious.
Thanks! It helps I'm going to school for a degree in metal technology and welding

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
would you reproduce the strut tower plates?
Just the plates? No brackets? I had to round the edges on a bench grinder to achieve a better fit...nothing serious though...here's a pic of the plates, raw, edges unground, still with dross on them.

Name:  TVy0dPq.jpg
Size:  64.6 KB

Let me know what you're thinking, I can probably help you out.

Originally Posted by J Berk
Nice stack of coins!
Thanks man! I don't have any pics of my stainless or aluminum work...they turn out much nicer and more defined. Loooove me some TIG welding

Originally Posted by Van
Much snazzier than mine! But I always thought that strut tower braces that could pivot at the node (end) left a little to be desired. So I did it like this:
(of course I wrecked that car, and then moved the brace over to the ChumpCar)
Thank you! You know while looking at designs for bars I came across something like yours and considered it for that very reason. I do like that mine is fully removable though. Originally, I was going to use heim joints on the ends but couldn't find any that wouldn't take at least a week or two to get and that weren't $40+ each....and I built two braces! Maybe for V.2. I also like the adjust-ability of mine too...I can pre load it.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:55 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Triple_T
Hey Ad,
Did you build that in your bathroom? All those man scents make me think that you have no work bench!!!! :lol
Lol! I have my garage...I needed something with a dark background to accent the lighting, the garage is all white. I feel a strange need to go to something manly now....off to my work bench.

P.S. Burberry Brit for the win
Old 07-19-2013, 11:48 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to change the "POINT" on your tungsten to control the undercut. Welds look ok overall.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:14 AM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fwb42
You need to change the "POINT" on your tungsten to control the undercut. Welds look ok overall.
It had a fresh grind at about 60* to a sharp point...would you recommend a steeper angle? Need to be more like /\ instead of ^? I was at running at 85. I've always done thinner stuff, never something this thick. OK as is mediocre or OK as in solid? Thanks for the input
Old 07-20-2013, 03:41 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love that color Cale, I don't think mine is going to look as nice polished and sealed but I hope so. I'm sure it looks 1000x better in person, the shot with the flash on really brings it to life. Woohoo for race livery on a street car. Anything goes on a 944 when you've already stuck an lt1 in it. When did you get that big porsche banner, I never noticed it in your garage? Cheers mate!
Old 07-20-2013, 09:22 AM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Thanks man, you'll see it in person soon...It's pretty interesting, it really grew on me. My guy said he had a red that is just like the orange...metallic translucent. I got him to do mine for 50, so if you're interested the option is there. I got the Porsche banner for father's day and stuck it in my office...It's huge!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:54 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're on the right tract. Just "dull the point a little. It should not stick you like a needle.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
I love that color Cale, I don't think mine is going to look as nice polished and sealed but I hope so. I'm sure it looks 1000x better in person, the shot with the flash on really brings it to life. Woohoo for race livery on a street car. Anything goes on a 944 when you've already stuck an lt1 in it. When did you get that big porsche banner, I never noticed it in your garage? Cheers mate!
I'm really confused, I've seen Rennlisters by the name of Dougs968, Dougs951, and Dougs951S... Are they all you??? (Sorry for jumping off topic)

Cale, great work, I'm jealous.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:34 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Butters944
I'm really confused, I've seen Rennlisters by the name of Dougs968, Dougs951, and Dougs951S... Are they all you??? (Sorry for jumping off topic)

Cale, great work, I'm jealous.
lol, I get confused myself. They are definitely not me! 951's must be popular with guys named doug. I'm the OG of course though

Quick Reply: Strut tower bar I made. What have you made for your P car?