Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The answer to Importing to U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 07:57 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Post The answer to Importing to U.S.

Thank you Jon, another stupid question... (it is Hans' fault, he brought up the idea!)

Importing a 951 to the U.S. from Germany. Anyone ever done it before? I can ship it for free, and it is going to TN, no emissions test, no test at all for that matter. Taxes aren't a problem either.

What physically has to be done to the car? Estimate if you have shipped before. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-05-2001, 09:30 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Complete and abject waste of money. You are much better off selling the 944 for what you can get in Germany and then purchasing a US Spec Porsche when you get home. By the time you have done the necessary US Government Changes like, emissions equipment, 5mph bumpers, increased the ride height etc you will have just wasted a lot of money and when you have done this and got it registered you will want to undo it all again,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 11-05-2001, 10:20 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...no emissions test, no test at all for that matter...
WHAT?? No tests??

Than side markers to be added and you're in buisiness
Or would this fail at the annual test? (or no annual test either?)
If you drive the car in Germany, you have TUV tests (the most feared in Europe)every year, if the car passes these tests, it is safe to drive, but not nessecarily street legal in USA. The later (I think from '88 onwards) cars all have the same emission specs for USA & ROW so this should not be a problem.
If the head lights arn't checked, the E-lenzes arn'nt a problem either.
By the time someone start nagging about the strange printing on the tire sidewall of some euro made units, they'll be worn and replaced by someting fully acceptable in USA.
Anything I missed?
Old 11-05-2001, 10:49 AM
Firestarter
Advanced

I have a euro model, here in the US. As far as I can tell, nothing was done when it was imported. Much has been done since then, so it is very hard to tell. It passes the Ohio tail pipe emissions tests without any US-spec smog equipment. If it was initially raised to the US ride height, it has been re-lowered (the previous owners, GRM, installed 4 corner coil-overs). FWIW, it appears to have been imported by a company named "Liva" Most of the foil plate they installed on the door jam is unreadible.

Firestarter
Old 11-05-2001, 11:25 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

here's the thing. I might go home in a year and a half, or 3 and a half years. I don't know. So I want to get one now instead of dumping money into a car that I might have to sell in a year. Another plus is the nice extra 20Hp or so. As for ride height, doesn't have to be done, and most porsche's have cats in germany. As far as I know, a lot of things have changed in the way of the glass and lights. "Not as" necessary, depending on who you talk to. Also, I would much rather get one here. No offense, but these people take way better care of their cars, and most are always garaged.

As far as the emissions test and things, I have never done one in east TN. When you buy a car, new or used, you go to the court house and register it. Thats it. You show the title, pay a little money, and you're good to go. So... anybody?
Old 11-05-2001, 12:48 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
ecpunk,

We had a pimp (can I use that word here) silver Benz over there in Germany, that my dad bought from some General. Anyway, we wanted so much to bring it back but that beast was Euro-spec.

From what I have heard and from that experience, it would cost you between 1 and 2 thousand dollars simply to convert it to US spec, and it would probably de-value the car. If I were you I would just drive the crap out of a Euro spec 951 over there, and then sell it before I left (although sometimes time can be of essence).

Another thought, find a US Spec 951 over there. They are over there, in 1983 my dad bought a US Spec 924 while we were there, and brought it back to the US with us...
Old 11-05-2001, 01:08 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

My '88 944 is German-spec and was imported to the US in 1996. The original owner was a US citizen living in Germany and he just brought it back to the US with him.

I'm sure having a Euro spec car in TN is no problem as far as inspection if there is any. The problem is getting the car into the US - it has to go through customs and that's where the EPA and DOT get involved.

You have to give the car to a Registered Importer (RI) who will certify to the government (EPA and DOT) that the car meets US specs. What the RI actually does to the car varies widely.

Some people have been totally screwed over by the RI and get soaked for all kinds of unnecessary stuff. But if your car has the same engine code as the US version (mine is an M44.09) the RI should simply check the box on the appropriate form for the emissions stuff after a visual inspection of the car. The RI will also want to change the speedometer to mph, change the headlights maybe, and possibly reinforce the bumpers. Depends on the year and model, and how thorough the RI is.

US bumper laws have changed - they're 2.5mph now so basically any car with any kind of bumper is OK. Some H1/H4 lights are OK now too...those rules have also changed...so you might get away with the lights. Ride height was a consumer protection thing that isn't Federally enforced. Porsche jacked up some US versions just to play nice since the US market is very important to them. But I've never heard of an RI raising the ride height of a car.

I would say that step one of importing a car is to talk to an RI about the make and model and year of the car and see what they say about what they will change and how much it will cost. There's more than one RI on the east coast (I think there's a bunch actually) so shop around.

Bryan
Old 11-05-2001, 02:00 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Bryan's comments are on the money. Several of my friends brought cars (including a beautiful BMW M635CSi) back from Germany when I was a young officer stationed there in the mid 1980s. The EPA and DOT standards can be very tricky. There are some real rip-off companies in that business.
The one thing that I would add is that I do not think that the military will ship your euro-spec car back for you. They will ship US spec cars originally purchased in Europe through he military sales program, or cars originally brought to Europe by a service member. But I think that you are on your own if you want to ship a Euro-spec car.
For what is is worth: Enjoy your car now and before you PCS sell it through Stars and Stripes or on the lemon lot at Ramstein. Then get a US spec 951 when you get home. You will spend less money and avoid a lot of headaches.
Old 11-05-2001, 02:21 PM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bryan, what I wanted to hear. I'll check around with some importers and see what they say. Let you know how it turns out.
Thanks.

As for you RPM, were you just here yesterday? I guess things haven't changed much in the past few years.
Old 11-05-2001, 03:05 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I was stationed in K-town with the 37th TRANSCOM from 92-94. My 911 and I found every Polizei traffic camera in Rheinland-Pfalz! Luckily I was a company commander and I just threw the tickets away.
AHH! The good old days.
Old 11-05-2001, 03:38 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by rpm's S2:
<STRONG>
The one thing that I would add is that I do not think that the military will ship your euro-spec car back for you. </STRONG>

Actually that just changed. They will ship a Euro spec'd car on the condition that you have a contract with an import company that will do the conversions. I have also looked into this.....

(are you slackin' off again Jon...
)
Old 11-05-2001, 04:15 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Regarding Firestarters comments, his car was imported back in the day when you could gray market a Euro-spec car into the US fairly easily. There were also ways to slip one in through Canada way back when. I am not 100% sure, but he maybe could even have registered his car in such a way with all the correct papers so that he would exempt from E-Checks. He may have been limited as far as mileage is concerned however.

There was a time when an individual could get a Euro-spec gray market or take European delivery without to much fan-fare. Those days are long gone, with Reagan if I recall.

My pal Earl used to pick up cars up at the port in Jacksonville and drive them to Atlanta for his father (who built Road Atlanta by the way) who was an importer back in the easy days of gray-market importing.
Old 11-05-2001, 04:36 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Enjoy your car now and before you PCS sell it through Stars and Stripes or on the lemon lot at Ramstein.
Ahhh, the lemon lot at Ramstein!

You should be able to sell it there, if it's still the same, cars go fast (as in sell fast) there.
Old 11-05-2001, 10:21 PM
scular
Racer

To get around the DOT rules you can import the car in on a salvage title, and not drive it on the street. Then find a 944 in the US with blown engine, ratted out interior, etc. for a cheap price, of course it must have a clean title, and start swapping. It is some work but well worth it. Another thing to watch out for while importing cars is the windshield, not all cars have laminated glass, actually most just have tempered and that is pricey.
Old 11-06-2001, 03:54 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

as usual, great advice bryan.. i will try my luck one of these days with a 951 or a bmw. can't beat authenticity.

Quick Reply: The answer to Importing to U.S.